Trade deadline is a month from today (March 4th)...

RayFinkle

The below suggests that you CAN get something for nothing... I'd like to package a couple role players/3rd liners and get a type A player. Will it happen? No.

Nov 30, 2005: Boston Bruins traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.

The below suggests that you CAN get something for nothing... I'd like to package a couple role players/3rd liners and get a type A player. Will it happen? No.

Nov 30, 2005: Boston Bruins traded Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.

I agree, Id like to see us go after Kovaluk. It will cost more than a couple roleplayers, but even if you threw in Stafford, a D prospect other than Butler/Sekera and another prospect, it would be worth it. I think a change of scenary is what he needs. Though not Ruff's type of player, he is a difference maker. If you remember, we tried to trade for the 1st pick in the draft to take him. I think our offer at the time was Pecca and Noronen. Wish we would have sweetened it to make it reality! We need to get a star.

I agree, Id like to see us go after Kovaluk. It will cost more than a couple roleplayers, but even if you threw in Stafford, a D prospect other than Butler/Sekera and another prospect, it would be worth it. I think a change of scenary is what he needs. Though not Ruff's type of player, he is a difference maker. If you remember, we tried to trade for the 1st pick in the draft to take him. I think our offer at the time was Pecca and Noronen. Wish we would have sweetened it to make it reality! We need to get a star.

I assume U meant Kovalchuk. I don't see Atl giving him up. That's be like us giving up Vanek.

Welcome to the board. We'll need your opinion on the following players in order to see who you are:

Max

Timmay

Hecht

Miller

Sekera

Weber

Butler

Ellis.

:thumbsup:

The Sabres have two stars in Vanek and Miller whom they will be paying $6 million+ the next couple years. Plus Pominville at $5.3M ... Kovalchuk has one year left after this one at $7.5 million ... even with the cap going down, the guy will get at least that much, he's only 25 years old. So odds are, the Sabres would not be in the mix to sign him beyond next season. So they'd be renting him for a season and a half maybe ... if they start slow next season and do not look like a Cup contender, they would have to seriously look at trading him so they don't lose him for nothing ... and odds are they would not get a Stafford plus two prospects for him at that point.

Looking at the article on TSN brought up some decent names.

Antropov, Nylander, and Doug Weight. Weight could be that nice cheap vet center Darcy is looking for.

interesting looking at his Trade section:

30-Jan-06 St. Louis Blues traded Doug Weight and the rights to Erkki Rajamaki to the Carolina Hurricanes for Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 1 st and a 4th round selections in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007.

02-Jul-06 Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the St. Louis Blues.

So the Blues got Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 1 st and 4th round selection in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007 and Doug Weight back and only lose the rights to someone who never plays in the NHL?

If Darcy makes a move for a rental player that is going to cost the Sabres a lot, I'd be pissed as I don't think the Sabres have what it takes to win the Cup this year.

If on the other hand he makes a move for a player under contract for 2 or more years(after this season) to address a team need, most players,prospects or picks are fair game.

The Sabres have two stars in Vanek and Miller whom they will be paying $6 million+ the next couple years. Plus Pominville at $5.3M ... Kovalchuk has one year left after this one at $7.5 million ... even with the cap going down, the guy will get at least that much, he's only 25 years old. So odds are, the Sabres would not be in the mix to sign him beyond next season. So they'd be renting him for a season and a half maybe ... if they start slow next season and do not look like a Cup contender, they would have to seriously look at trading him so they don't lose him for nothing ... and odds are they would not get a Stafford plus two prospects for him at that point.

Don't forget that Max is likely gone. (3.5mil) Spacek is questionable if he returns (3.3) Timmy has 3.5 coming and we have NO idea of

what they will do with him. Not to mention that its possible we could include Tallinder (2.9) and who knows what the future of Kotalik is(2.5)

There is room to bring him in if they want to do it. With the youngsters that will likely be here next year there are probably a few others

that they may rid themselves of. You bring him in and see how it fits. Even if you only haev him for 1 1/2 seasons its worth it. If he fits and likes it here and produces, you negot long term deal. They can make the money work. The hard part is making the deal.

Looking at the article on TSN brought up some decent names.

Antropov, Nylander, and Doug Weight. Weight could be that nice cheap vet center Darcy is looking for.

interesting looking at his Trade section:

30-Jan-06 St. Louis Blues traded Doug Weight and the rights to Erkki Rajamaki to the Carolina Hurricanes for Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 1 st and a 4th round selections in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007.

02-Jul-06 Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the St. Louis Blues.

So the Blues got Jesse Boulerice, Mike Zigomanis, the rights to Magnus Kahnberg, a 1 st and 4th round selection in 2006 and a 4th round selection in 2007 and Doug Weight back and only lose the rights to someone who never plays in the NHL?

I wouldnt trade of any of them.

Weights a has been on his last legs. (if that).

Antropov is VERY soft.

Nylander is more playmaker than anything and not worth it.

If Darcy makes a move for a rental player that is going to cost the Sabres a lot, I'd be pissed as I don't think the Sabres have what it takes to win the Cup this year.

If on the other hand he makes a move for a player under contract for 2 or more years(after this season) to address a team need, most players,prospects or picks are fair game.

Do you honestly feel the team has what it takes to win the Cup this year??? Are you serious?

I love them, but they will be hard pressed to stay in the top 8 to make the playoffs.

Do you honestly feel the team has what it takes to win the Cup this year??? Are you serious?

I love them, but they will be hard pressed to stay in the top 8 to make the playoffs.

Reread my post...

If Darcy makes a move for a rental player that is going to cost the Sabres a lot, I'd be pissed as I DON'T think the Sabres have what it takes to win the Cup this year.

I assume U meant Kovalchuk. I don't see Atl giving him up. That's be like us giving up Vanek.

Welcome to the board. We'll need your opinion on the following players in order to see who you are:

Max

Timmay

Hecht

Miller

Sekera

Weber

Butler

Ellis.

Yes I did mean Kovalchuk! Sorry!

Thanks for welcome.

Max.....long over due to get rid of....we will trade him at deadline for nothing.

Timmay, as he is proving now, great when healthy...just.....well we all know it doesnt last.

Hecht..honestly, he is not one of my favorites. Solid, unspectauclar, having tough year.

Miller....in top 5 when on his game (as he has been recently)

Sekera, great prospect.

Weber, I like his physicality to his game.

Butler, started great but I personally think has struggled bad in his own zone on this roadtrip.

Ellis, has great motor and effort, unfortunately short on talent.

Max

Timmay

Hecht

Miller

Sekera

Weber

Butler

Ellis.

Yes I did mean Kovalchuk! Sorry!

Thanks for welcome.

Max.....long over due to get rid of....we will trade him at deadline for nothing.

Timmay, as he is proving now, great when healthy...just.....well we all know it doesnt last.

Hecht..honestly, he is not one of my favorites. Solid, unspectauclar, having tough year.

Miller....in top 5 when on his game (as he has been recently)

Sekera, great prospect.

Weber, I like his physicality to his game.

Butler, started great but I personally think has struggled bad in his own zone on this roadtrip.

Ellis, has great motor and effort, unfortunately short on talent.

Don't forget that Max is likely gone. (3.5mil) Spacek is questionable if he returns (3.3) Timmy has 3.5 coming and we have NO idea of

what they will do with him. Not to mention that its possible we could include Tallinder (2.9) and who knows what the future of Kotalik is(2.5)

There is room to bring him in if they want to do it. With the youngsters that will likely be here next year there are probably a few others

that they may rid themselves of. You bring him in and see how it fits. Even if you only haev him for 1 1/2 seasons its worth it. If he fits and likes it here and produces, you negot long term deal. They can make the money work. The hard part is making the deal.

I don't see big spending. All stories point to the cap being much lower the season after next.

Yes, but Miller will be making nearly $3 million more than this season ... plus Pominville will be making nearly $4 million more than this season. So right there, Max's and Connolly's money is already accounted for. It's not impossible, but no matter how you slice it, it would be $26 million tied up in 4 guys (Vanek, Miller, Pommer and Kovalchuk) ... Tampa tried that, paying a handful of stars and then just filling in the rest, and they sucked and continue to suck. They would be much better off paying 2 very good players at $3.75 million each rather than one more guy $7.5 million ... in my opinion.

Besides, if you are going to go after a big money guy, why not take a run at LeCavalier, who is locked up for longer? Again, not what I would do probably, and certainly not Darcy's style, but I'd rather have him than Kovy given the contract situation ...

Yes, but Miller will be making nearly $3 million more than this season ... plus Pominville will be making nearly $4 million more than this season. So right there, Max's and Connolly's money is already accounted for. It's not impossible, but no matter how you slice it, it would be $26 million tied up in 4 guys (Vanek, Miller, Pommer and Kovalchuk) ... Tampa tried that, paying a handful of stars and then just filling in the rest, and they sucked and continue to suck. They would be much better off paying 2 very good players at $3.75 million each rather than one more guy $7.5 million ... in my opinion.

Besides, if you are going to go after a big money guy, why not take a run at LeCavalier, who is locked up for longer? Again, not what I would do probably, and certainly not Darcy's style, but I'd rather have him than Kovy given the contract situation ...

Id take Vinny as well, but given his age and has not reached his potential and would be a smaller contract

I would prefer Kovalchuk, but its all a matter of opinion.

A forward that can play on the top two lines. Goaltending is contractually locked in. I am happy with the defense as long as Sekera is healthy and Butler stays in Buffalo. My only concern is the forward ranks.

I thought that Kevin Bieksa might be a nice fit, but that would be another blueliner. Vancouver has been struggling as of late and might be a seller at the trade deadline.

Then again, Darcy was making a number of deals with Dave Nonis in the past, who is now no longer with the Canucks. It's probably a non-factor at this point.

I dont think they will unload bieksa - -he has really come into his own this season.

the guy there to get is michael Grabner - he and Vanek on a line would be interesting...it will never happen (unless buffalo took bieksa and grabner for ennis and macarthur).

too bad the leafs dont have anyone to pick up (their roster blows) = as Dave Nonis is just up the QEW now.

I thought that Kevin Bieksa might be a nice fit, but that would be another blueliner. Vancouver has been struggling as of late and might be a seller at the trade deadline.

Then again, Darcy was making a number of deals with Dave Nonis in the past, who is now no longer with the Canucks. It's probably a non-factor at this point.

Archived