Teppo has Fractured Jaw

SabresFan526

Well, I stuck up for Teppo, but at the same time, I'm not ready to write off ol' Nathan just yet. He's only 25. He's solidly built at 6'1", 200. He's a pretty good skater. He played 63 games 2 years ago and 59 games last year. We added 2 new veteran defensemen this year, plus 2 new kids who really hit the ground running, and Paetsch was the odd man out. But he's in his 3rd full year in our system. There are a lot of defensemen in the NHL who just aren't ready until they've accumulated a lot of experience.

Soupy is the perfect example -- as late as the first part of the '05-'06 season (when he was 26), he did not look ready for prime time. Now he's a $56 million player (!). I'm far from saying that Paetsch is going to be another Campbell, but my point is simply that it's too soon to give up on him -- and I suspect the Sabres feel the same way. Let's see how he does over the next few weeks.

T'well be interesting to watch him. He isn't the best skater in the world but that doesn't mean he still can't be a solid player. Would be nice if he stepped up and we could claim to have three or four young defenseman ready to go in Sekera, Butler, Patsche and maybe Weber

Not making this its own thread because I think it is a bit of hyperbole on Burnside's part ... but in his column today he says Teppo could be out for the SEASON ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3844034 ... Lindy is on the record saying "weeks, not days" but that would be MONTHS and why is he travelling with the club if this is possible? I don't know, just thought I'd throw it out there since I saw it.

Not making this its own thread because I think it is a bit of hyperbole on Burnside's part ... but in his column today he says Teppo could be out for the SEASON ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=3844034 ... Lindy is on the record saying "weeks, not days" but that would be MONTHS and why is he travelling with the club if this is possible? I don't know, just thought I'd throw it out there since I saw it.

I can't see Teppo traveling with them if he just had surgery on his face. Where did you see that?

Guys, the only thing more bad@ss than coming back from open heart surgery would be to finish the period after getting your face shattered with a hockey puck. Teppo will be back again this season and he'll contribute in the playoffs. I hate to guarantee anything, but you can take it to the bank that teppo will play if he's allowed to.

Well, I stuck up for Teppo, but at the same time, I'm not ready to write off ol' Nathan just yet. He's only 25. He's solidly built at 6'1", 200. He's a pretty good skater. He played 63 games 2 years ago and 59 games last year. We added 2 new veteran defensemen this year, plus 2 new kids who really hit the ground running, and Paetsch was the odd man out. But he's in his 3rd full year in our system. There are a lot of defensemen in the NHL who just aren't ready until they've accumulated a lot of experience.

Soupy is the perfect example -- as late as the first part of the '05-'06 season (when he was 26), he did not look ready for prime time. Now he's a $56 million player (!). I'm far from saying that Paetsch is going to be another Campbell, but my point is simply that it's too soon to give up on him -- and I suspect the Sabres feel the same way. Let's see how he does over the next few weeks.

Good post, and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I don't quite understand the growing hatred some have for Paetsch.

Good post, and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I don't quite understand the growing hatred some have for Paetsch.

I'm trying to figure out how a comment on Teppo has some trying to turn this into Teppo vs Paetsch with so much venom towards Paetsch. I remember the days when Paetsch was the savior of the power play according to some.

I'm trying to figure out how a comment on Teppo has some trying to turn this into Teppo vs Paetsch with so much venom towards Paetsch. I remember the days when Paetsch was the savior of the power play according to some.

For a brief run he did spark the PP, but you're right, the thread did devolve pretty quickly into a Teppo-Paetsch debate.

Guys, the only thing more bad@ss than coming back from open heart surgery would be to finish the period after getting your face shattered with a hockey puck. Teppo will be back again this season and he'll contribute in the playoffs. I hate to guarantee anything, but you can take it to the bank that teppo will play if he's allowed to.

And he'll be so badass that not only will he return without a cage, he won't even be wearing a helmet.

... Lindy is on the record saying "weeks, not days" but that would be MONTHS and why is he travelling with the club if this is possible? I don't know, just thought I'd throw it out there since I saw it.

I'd imagine he's doing some double-duty as some sort of unofficial D coach. The man is smart, has the experience, and is probably a better D coach than those on the staff.

I'd imagine he's doing some double-duty as some sort of unofficial D coach. The man is smart, has the experience, and is probably a better D coach than those on the staff.

I've said before that Teppo may be done after this year as a D-man, but the Sabres should think about keeping him on as an assistant coach.

Archived