Summary of the sabres prospects from hockeysfuture.com

LabattBlue

They have the Sabres ranked 20th in the NHL. IMO, the bolded sentence is the biggest problem in the organization.

Strengths: While in recent years the Sabres system has been stocked first and foremost with scoring forwards, defense is now their strong point. Mike Weber appears ready for NHL play, and T.J. Brennan is also coming along nicely. There is Chris Butler and the very raw, but intriguing Tyler Myers on the depth chart defensively. Up front, Tim Kennedy is a responsible forward with good instincts, who is transitioning well into the pro game. Also in the mix are the highly talented, though undersized, Nathan Gerbe, Tyler Ennis, Paul Byron, and Marek Zagrapan. Weaknesses: While the depth at the defense and forward positions is indisputable, the absence of a truly elite talent is apparent. And also, though Jhonas Enroth remains their top prospect, a lack of goaltending depth behind him persists in the organization.

They have the Sabres ranked 20th in the NHL. IMO, the bolded sentence is the biggest problem in the organization.

Strengths: While in recent years the Sabres system has been stocked first and foremost with scoring forwards, defense is now their strong point. Mike Weber appears ready for NHL play, and T.J. Brennan is also coming along nicely. There is Chris Butler and the very raw, but intriguing Tyler Myers on the depth chart defensively. Up front, Tim Kennedy is a responsible forward with good instincts, who is transitioning well into the pro game. Also in the mix are the highly talented, though undersized, Nathan Gerbe, Tyler Ennis, Paul Byron, and Marek Zagrapan. Weaknesses: While the depth at the defense and forward positions is indisputable, the absence of a truly elite talent is apparent. And also, though Jhonas Enroth remains their top prospect, a lack of goaltending depth behind him persists in the organization.

Just like the organization likes it, average talent they can pay above average so we can continual to compete for the 6th spot in the conference.

Not to pick nits but weren't you the one telling me how great the Sabres have been at drafting?

Yes, and they have done a great job at drafting, but they have been unwilling to package picks or prospects to get that premier talent. To get the high end talent you have to be either lucky, see Detroit with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, very bad, see Pittsburgh or willing to trade for high end talent or dip into free agency.

Also, whether they have been as successful the last few years as they were during the Luce, Carriere, Martin years will be determined by the development of players like Brennan, Butler, Myers and Enis et al.

Yes, and they have done a great job at drafting...

Drafting players with just enough talent to play in the NHL, but outside of Vanek, their first rounders have been atrocious. They also have been drafting too many soft players. Somehow, a player like Paille, who was voted OHA Body Checker of the Year is chosen while the Kings draft Dustin Brown, arguably the best body checker in the NHL.

Drafting players with just enough talent to play in the NHL, but outside of Vanek, their first rounders have been atrocious. They also have been drafting too many soft players. Somehow, a player like Paille, who was voted OHA Body Checker of the Year is chosen while the Kings draft Dustin Brown, arguably the best body checker in the NHL.

Given their draft position and the players drafted after they picked, atrocious is over stating it.

If you look at 2000 through 2006, I would argue they hit on 3 with K. Ballard, Vanek and Stafford. If you look at the players drafted after the Sabres picked in all 7 of those years you may be lucky to come up with 5 players I would call elite;

Frolov

Boyes

Semin

Mike Green

and maybe Berglund drafted right after Persson although it is really too early to tell.

I think you are comparing the NHL draft to the NFL draft and it simply doesn't work that way. Make your own list of the top 20 players in the league and look were they were drafted.

I think you are comparing the NHL draft to the NFL draft and it simply doesn't work that way.

Probably because they are drafting kids instead of men like the NFL but I'll still argue the quality of Sabres first rounders. Kryukov? Come on...

What's the percentage of first rounders that become big stars in the NHL? Not many I bet.

Let's give them credit for a player like Sekera they got in the third round

I won't argue the Sabres proficiencies in later rounds. I'll bet they are as good as anyone in that arena, then again every team has players that beat the odds and persevere.

Pointing out one failure is fun and all, but I bet that if you look around the league, you find plenty of teams that have their own Kryukov's. And you can point out Paille all you want, at least they got a marginally talented player out of a marginally talented draft. The real fun is had when you look at what teams walk away from with a ridiculously deep draft, like say the Rangers back in the 2003 draft.

First of all, it's too funny that someone actually goes to hockeyfuture's for credible Sabres prospect info. The report they have is a joke. He used to post on HFBoards and was always an idiot. When Kris Baker (i think thats his name) quit and started his own site (SabresProspects.com) that kid took over. He doesn't go to games. Doesn't watch them online. He reports based on stats and peoples opinion on HFBoards. His opinion is nothing more then a fans opinion. He has no journalism or media credentials. Who knows if he could even scout a hockey player?

The guy is an idiot. He doesn't view many players highly. Heck, he never thought Gerbe would make the NHL. I know it's still debatable but come on, thats the kind of person you're looking at.

Reading this is like reading Garth on HockeyBuzz.com. Nothing more then just a fans opinion. Atleast Garth watches the games though.

First of all, it's too funny that someone actually goes to hockeyfuture's for credible Sabres prospect info. The report they have is a joke. He used to post on HFBoards and was always an idiot. When Kris Baker (i think thats his name) quit and started his own site (SabresProspects.com) that kid took over. He doesn't go to games. Doesn't watch them online. He reports based on stats and peoples opinion on HFBoards. His opinion is nothing more then a fans opinion. He has no journalism or media credentials. Who knows if he could even scout a hockey player?

The guy is an idiot. He doesn't view many players highly. Heck, he never thought Gerbe would make the NHL. I know it's still debatable but come on, thats the kind of person you're looking at.

Reading this is like reading Garth on HockeyBuzz.com. Nothing more then just a fans opinion. Atleast Garth watches the games though.

100 free posts for VanekMan. :thumbsup: If U really are Vanek-said-Man. :lol:

Probably because they are drafting kids instead of men like the NFL but I'll still argue the quality of Sabres first rounders. Kryukov? Come on...

I won't argue the Sabres proficiencies in later rounds. I'll bet they are as good as anyone in that arena, then again every team has players that beat the odds and persevere.

15 players after Kryukov

Marcel Hossa

Alexei Mikhnov

Brooks Orpik

Krys Kolanos

Alexander Frolov

Anton Volchenkov

David Hale

Nathan Smith

Brad Boyes

Steve Ott

Brian Sutherby

Martin Samuelsson

Justin Williams

Niklas Kronwall

Jeff Taffe

15 players after Kryukov

Marcel Hossa

Alexei Mikhnov

Brooks Orpik

Krys Kolanos

Alexander Frolov

Anton Volchenkov

David Hale

Nathan Smith

Brad Boyes

Steve Ott

Brian Sutherby

Martin Samuelsson

Justin Williams

Niklas Kronwall

Jeff Taffe

...and to my knowlegde all of these players have skated on North American ice. Kryukov, not so much.

...and to my knowlegde all of these players have skated on North American ice. Kryukov, not so much.

You are starting to go round and round and changing the argument.

The facts are that the Sabres have done well drafting based on number of players that have made it to the NHL and that their track record for first round picks is not considerably different then the rest of the league. While it would be nice to have another "elite" player or two in the system, there is little evidence that they have missed on any "elite" players given their draft position.

In both the Kryukov case and the Paille case that you continue to reference, there appear to be few to no examples of players rated highly that year that developed into elite players that they passed on.

Kryukov was an awful pick in a draft that is full of awful picks. If Kryukov was awful, how about Boston taking Lars Johnson 7th, he played in 8 games in his career. Or how about Calgary taking Brent Krahn with the 9th pick, he has yet to play in the NHL.

there appear to be few to no examples of players rated highly that year that developed into elite players that they passed on.

I'll be the first to admit that unless someone like Crosby comes along, the NHL draft is a crapshoot. I just think Buffalo is an easy town to figure out. Draft good, tough players. How many of those have they draftes early?

I never thought Gerbe would make it in the NHL (and still don't). Does that make me an idiot?

No, other things do. I hope the tiny tot does make it but this concussion makes me nervous about his future.

It didn't take long either. I'll stick by my thoughts from the offseason that Butler was going to be the one I wanted to watch the most. It's good to see that we've got a good amount of defensemen in the system because that is going to be the biggest position of need. I'd love to see someone from that group develop into that lockdown, franchise defenseman that we haven't had in a very long time. I don't think they have one of those though, maybe Myers, but he's obviously a project guy at this point.

I'll be the first to admit that unless someone like Crosby comes along, the NHL draft is a crapshoot. I just think Buffalo is an easy town to figure out. Draft good, tough players. How many of those have they draftes early?

a) First, I think that whole Buffalo as a blue collar town is overrated. The most fun I've had watching this team were the French Connection years and the two years after the lock out. Tough, lunch bucket, Ted Nolan blood and guts teams couldn't compare to that level of excitement. Besides, Buffalo hasn't been blue collar for years.

b) That being said, I'll be the first to admit that I would like to see this team be a little tougher. However, projecting toughness is probably not much easier then projecting high skill level. You said yourself, Paille came out of junior with a hard nosed reputation that thus far hasn't translated.

Archived