This Is NOT A Miller Bashing

CallawaySabres

Why does it seem that every single team we play has one OR two goalies that can absolutely STEAL a game against the Sabres???? While Miller may consistently play well, when was the las ttime he stole a game for this team? The only thing I can remember is when he might play well enough to let the Sabres lose 3-1 instead of 6-1.

Who are these freakin' no name tenders that continue to play on their heads!!!!

Why does it seem that every single team we play has one OR two goalies that can absolutely STEAL a game against the Sabres???? While Miller may consistently play well, when was the las ttime he stole a game for this team? The only thing I can remember is when he might play well enough to let the Sabres lose 3-1 instead of 6-1.

They are not playing on their heads, we're just not very good.

Buffalo, as do all teams, needs to score goals. That is some thing they have been STRUGGLING to do. Miller gave up 1 softie night and I'm not defending that. But when you can't score you can't win. I'm more ticked off at the players up front than I am w/ Miller.

Maybe my eyes were glazing over, but I didn't see the Panther goalie stand on his head. That was a pretty routine performance against a team that seems to aim at the breadbasket all the time. I am also upset at Kotalik's comments about the Sabres being the better team. I think it goes a lot deeper than being "snakebit." Although the quick whistle at the end was terrible luck. It should have been 2-2.

Buffalo, as do all teams, needs to score goals. That is some thing they have been STRUGGLING to do. Miller gave up 1 softie night and I'm not defending that. But when you can't score you can't win. I'm more ticked off at the players up front than I am w/ Miller.

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the highlights of last night's game, and I agree 100% he should have stopped that Ballard shot on the 2-on-1. And having not seen a lot of games this year, I can't comment on where his play is now versus where it was to start the season, but on paper you can see that he's struggled in November and early December. But I do agree that the scoring is the key, and I think that jumping on the goalie - whether it's Ryan, Lalime, Thibault, Biron, anyone - when your team has scored once in the last two games and have given up 2 goals in each game is a little silly. It looks like a convenient way to gloss over the poor play of the 20 skaters...

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the highlights of last night's game, and I agree 100% he should have stopped that Ballard shot on the 2-on-1. And having not seen a lot of games this year, I can't comment on where his play is now versus where it was to start the season, but on paper you can see that he's struggled in November and early December. But I do agree that the scoring is the key, and I think that jumping on the goalie - whether it's Ryan, Lalime, Thibault, Biron, anyone - when your team has scored once in the last two games and have given up 2 goals in each game is a little silly. It looks like a convenient way to gloss over the poor play of the 20 skaters...

The Sabres were not outplayed last night. They were out-goaltended.

The Sabres were not outplayed last night. They were out-goaltended.

Maybe so. I already admitted the Ballard goal was a bad one. From what I saw, and from what others have posted, it didn't look too much like the Sabres really tested Anderson with quality scoring ops - it was shot after shot right into the emblem. We've talked about this in the past - it's not the quantity of shots but the quality. If we're not getting great scoring ops and making the goalie make tough saves, then it doesn't matter if we have 10 shots or 60. Bottom line is we got one behind Anderson, and it's tough to win scoring just one goal in the NHL, no matter who your goalie is.

In any case, the thing that concerns me most is the inconsistency in all areas of the Sabres game. Some nights they score at will, then they go into stretches where they can't find the back of the net if their lives depended on it. Some nights the team plays lockdown defense and some nights it's a free-for-all against the Sabres' goalies. Some nights the Sabres goalies look good, some nights they look awful. There's no consistency anywhere.

I will bash Miller. Ryan Miller is an overpaid average goalie. There are many other goalies that could give you the same production Miller does if they were given a chance to play on a regular basis. Paying Miller $6 million to be average is going to hurt this team now and in the future.

Thank you. Finally someone around here can see the real situation with Miller. He's average, period, end of story. He goes through 3 or 4 mini "slumps" every year and they crush the team. NOT saying he cost us the Florida game,,,,but here's the deal, Millsie is getting outplayed by the opponents goalie far too often. If he's an elite goalie, he would be on the winning end of these low scoring games more often. He's flat out getting outplayed by no names and this is no different than last year.

Looks like the team may have been better using the Red Wings model of finding serviceable goalies to go along with a strong D. But of course that would require having a strong D.

And forwards who play consistently play good hockey south of the red line.

Wolf..You still think Miller is elite??? I really havent watched alot of the games, I have been frustrated enough to where I dont really let them ruin a night anymore so I cant say if he has kept them in games or just played average or worse, however I know from what I saw last year he is just your average goaltender..I know you and I went at it pretty good during the last part of last year and this offseason about his status and I was wondering if you have swung him down a peg or 2...

Wolf..You still think Miller is elite??? I really havent watched alot of the games, I have been frustrated enough to where I dont really let them ruin a night anymore so I cant say if he has kept them in games or just played average or worse, however I know from what I saw last year he is just your average goaltender..I know you and I went at it pretty good during the last part of last year and this offseason about his status and I was wondering if you have swung him down a peg or 2...

I know I've been a pretty vocal defender of Ryan in the past, but like I said earlier - I haven't seen enough this year to make any sort of judgment (sp? I hate using an old IE browswer with no spell checker.)

While I don't believe I ever actually said he was an "elite" goaltender now - I believe I said he was on that cusp, right on the border between good/very good and could be elite if he figured out how to lock-in his focus fulltime -- I am starting to downgrade my opinion a little. I think he is a good goalie, a little better than Biron, who has bouts of streakiness and inconsistency, especially in the regular season. I think he tends to play to the level of the team -- when the team is struggling he seems to struggle, and when he gets into funks he struggles to get back out.

Then again, the downgrading of my opinion could be a reflection of my disgust with the entire organization and on-ice team.

On a side note, I also think it might be time to see if a different, full-time goalie coach might be a better fit, because I am a little concerned about how many highly-touted goalie prospects we've had in our system that never really reached their potential in the NHL (or at least not with Buffalo) - Biron, Roloson, Noronen, now Ryan - that I have to wonder if it's time for a change.

Hope that wasn't too much more than you were asking for. ;)

On a side note, I also think it might be time to see if a different, full-time goalie coach might be a better fit, because I am a little concerned about how many highly-touted goalie prospects we've had in our system that never really reached their potential in the NHL (or at least not with Buffalo) - Biron, Roloson, Noronen, now Ryan - that I have to wonder if it's time for a change.

It seems like when Corsi went over to Portland the team started losing.

I know I've been a pretty vocal defender of Ryan in the past, but like I said earlier - I haven't seen enough this year to make any sort of judgment (sp? I hate using an old IE browswer with no spell checker.)

While I don't believe I ever actually said he was an "elite" goaltender now - I believe I said he was on that cusp, right on the border between good/very good and could be elite if he figured out how to lock-in his focus fulltime -- I am starting to downgrade my opinion a little. I think he is a good goalie, a little better than Biron, who has bouts of streakiness and inconsistency, especially in the regular season. I think he tends to play to the level of the team -- when the team is struggling he seems to struggle, and when he gets into funks he struggles to get back out.

Then again, the downgrading of my opinion could be a reflection of my disgust with the entire organization and on-ice team.

Hope that wasn't too much more than you were asking for. ;)

I agree with this. Over the years, Corsi has done little to help the development of our goalies. Goaltending has changed radically since Corsi played, and I wonder if he has that sound of a grasp on the position as it is played today.

I like your point, but I have to mention that Roloson was never a highly touted goalie. He was 29 years old when we brought him in and essentially a career minor leaguer up to that point. He became a "name" after leaving us, while playing for the most defensive organization there is, all while north of the 30 year old mark. Sounds pretty similar to the career path Tim Thomas has taken (both played at lesser known schools too).

I like your point, but I have to mention that Roloson was never a highly touted goalie. He was 29 years old when we brought him in and essentially a career minor leaguer up to that point. He became a "name" after leaving us, while playing for the most defensive organization there is, all while north of the 30 year old mark. Sounds pretty similar to the career path Tim Thomas has taken (both played at lesser known schools too).

:oops:

You're right. Just threw him in because he seemed to fully develop after leaving Buffalo. I did not realize how old he was when he joined Buffalo.

:oops:

You're right. Just threw him in because he seemed to fully develop after leaving Buffalo. I did not realize how old he was when he joined Buffalo.

I don't think he developed so much as he did what just about any goalie would've done in that system. I really wish we could test that theory by throwing someone like Brent Johnson back there.

I heard that Miller was crying cause Lindy said he needs to read better. Hopefully that 6 mill can buy him some balls.

Maybe Ryan should check out the Derek Zoolander Center for Goalies Who Can't Read Good and Who Wanna Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too

I don't think he developed so much as he did what just about any goalie would've done in that system. I really wish we could test that theory by throwing someone like Brent Johnson back there.

Well he did play pretty well in Edmonton for a while...

Archived