Brian Campbell wants Buffalo fans to forget him

dante23x

I am talking about the long-rumored deal Drury and Regier supposedly agreed to the previous November ... the $7 million offer was desperation and Drury had already decided to leave. The same as Campbell decided to leave when we was asking for "market value" to stay. Did Miller get market value? Did Pominville? I would argue no, they would get more on the open market. The guys who really want to stay work it out and take a little less. Campbell played it lip service all the while knowing full well the Sabres were not going to pay him "market value" and he was taking nothing less. Like I said, it's his right and I would not boo him, but he was no victim. He knew exactly what was going to happen.

I agree..The difference being the Sabres had to ride the Drury train because they were considered Cup contenders even though alot of us knew they didnt have the total package to go all the way..My point of contention was they shoulda had his deal and anyone else done before they even entered their last year of theyre contract..ALmost every player who is offered a more than fair contract before there last year of the deal will take it...We didnt make it happen..Now we suffer till we replace them...

I hope he gets booed so bad he starts crying on the ice. Or I hope he scores 10 goals against us so Darcy Regier starts crying for letting him go.

...eh...

Campbell shouldn't be booed - I would hope fans would have more class (and insight) than that.

He had every right to seek max coinage, and knew his value would probably never be higher than at that point in his career, right at a point in significant inflation in the NHL, to boot. He was smart.

Neither boo nor cheer, that's probably the way to go.

Believe me....he's not forgotten.

Still the greatest hockey hit I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

If I could access Youtube at work I'd send you a clip of Darcy Tucker destroying Sami Kapenan in the 03-04 playoffs which trumps Campbell hitting Umberger.

say what you want about management im glad we don't have drury for 7 mil, briere for 7 mil, and campbell for 8 mil. imo all three should have topped out at 5 (maybe 5.5 for captain intangible) and although we're roughing it right now, we're probably better off. That right there would be $22 mil against the cap for three players... eh, no thanks. Throw in Vanek's 6 per or whatever, Miller & pommer, roy... gaustad... HMM we're running out of cap space quicker than I can type this sentence.

i miss the 05/06/07 days as much as the next guy but from a business standpoint... color me satisfied

say what you want about management im glad we don't have drury for 7 mil, briere for 7 mil, and campbell for 8 mil. imo all three should have topped out at 5 (maybe 5.5 for captain intangible) and although we're roughing it right now, we're probably better off. That right there would be $22 mil against the cap for three players... eh, no thanks. Throw in Vanek's 6 per or whatever, Miller & pommer, roy... gaustad... HMM we're running out of cap space quicker than I can type this sentence.

i miss the 05/06/07 days as much as the next guy but from a business standpoint... color me satisfied

I agree that its good we aren't on the hook for those salaries but you have to figure that they could have signed Vanek before he became a RFA and was even able to receive an offer sheet. We could have locked up Briere before the 06-07 season when he got that ridiculous arbitration award and eventually left. Guys like Grier and Drury may have stayed if Sabres management showed their willingness to commit to winning instead of counting pennies. I put that on Regier. We could have had someone of the departed players at less than their current contracts.

I agree that its good we aren't on the hook for those salaries but you have to figure that they could have signed Vanek before he became a RFA and was even able to receive an offer sheet. We could have locked up Briere before the 06-07 season when he got that ridiculous arbitration award and eventually left.

I won't say that they didn't make mistakes on Drury and maybe Campbell, but people weren't even sure if they wanted Briere for one year at that "ridiculous" arbitration award, much less for multiple years. I know the team was talking $4-something per before that, which isn't too far off, but that was their high end. Remember that $5 million was a huge contract a couple of years ago. The exploding cap has since made it seem insignificant. However, as it comes back down, teams that sign big contracts like Drury's, Briere's and Campbell's are going to be in cap trouble (some already have been.)

Also, with Vanek, what would it have taken to get him to sign before he received an offer sheet? His agent said that he was going to test the market, so it would have taken a really good offer. $5 million per? $5.5 million per? More? Sure, it's easy to say that it would have saved him verses what he actually got, but who actually thought that he'd actually get that? I remember people being afraid that someone would put in an offer for over $4 million because of some recent contracts, but $7 million?

However, this is history that has been rehashed over and over again. Those decisions are not going to change. Now, I am far more angry that they didn't bring in a #2 center this Summer, instead counting on Connolly again after that had bit them in the ass in 2007-08, than I am about anything that happened in the Summer of 2007. There have been opportunities to fix the problems that those decisions caused and they haven't yet. That, is the real issue.

However, this is history that has been rehashed over and over again. Those decisions are not going to change. Now, I am far more angry that they didn't bring in a #2 center this Summer, instead counting on Connolly again after that had bit them in the ass in 2007-08, than I am about anything that happened in the Summer of 2007. There have been opportunities to fix the problems that those decisions caused and they haven't yet. That, is the real issue.

I'm more upset that instead of making a real attempt at toughening up on D, they resigned Teppo and went with basically the some guys as last year. I'm glad they brought in Rivet, although he hasn't added much yet. But resigning Teppo was a mistake and he is definately showing his age this year. I agree about the lack of center depth. I thinking though what they really need is a #1 center and accept Roy is no better then a #2.

Archived