[OT] Political Discussion

carpandean

I don't know if anyone here was watching CNBC today. They had Tom Reynolds on along with some other clown. Basically the two of them seemed in favor of letting the auto industry going to hell. Seems like they don't mind screwing over all the workers in the industry.

Obama will be on in 10 minutes for his press conference. Should be interesting to see what he says.

How many times are we going to have to hear about these car companies losing money? I know it is painful for those involved, but there has to come a time when a company can succeed/fail on its own. This might be that time (finally).

I grew up in VT and the farming industry was basically dying. The government stepped in and offered subsidies and prices were fixed. Decades later the same problems exist, the handouts have of course never gone away, and no progress has been made other than farms failing slowly but surely.

[/b]

Religious faith belongs at home or at a church not a hockey board. If people are going to try interject religion I will play Devil's Advocate so to speak. :thumbsup:

What Obama voters are waiting for? What we have all been waiting for is leadership. For the first time in eight years this country will have true leadership. We have been waiting for a leader that believes people are the number one resource of this country not bombs. We have been waiting for the restoration of the American dream of being able to work hard and support a family and not have our civil rights violated.

Unfortunately what you are saying is not an isolated view of what the Republican party has come to represent for a lot of people. Maybe the saving grace out of this election will be reestablishing the party as the one that stands for limited government and protection of the individual's rights and gets away from the social issues that have no place in federal government. That might be a fantasy, since it doesn't answer the question you guys hit on before:"What's in it for me?"

I remember a local radio show had Elizabeth Dole on a couple years ago and asked her,"What do you think the role of government is?" Her answer was ,"To help people." This from a Republican!

You have to admit that General Motors might be the most retarded companies ever. Not to open a can of worms with unions.

Even the simplicity of eliminating Buick, Oldsmobile and some of the duplicate vehicles has to be a start. The Japanese and Europeans are producing a far more superior product and building plants all over this country successfully. GM for example should stick to Corvettes, Cadillacs, full size trucks, vans; find a niche. Dont try to do everything.

I agree with that. If General Motors goes down, and possibly Ford too, a lot of people are going to be out of jobs and with no pensions.

How many times are we going to have to hear about these car companies losing money? I know it is painful for those involved, but there has to come a time when a company can succeed/fail on its own. This might be that time (finally).

I grew up in VT and the farming industry was basically dying. The government stepped in and offered subsidies and prices were fixed. Decades later the same problems exist, the handouts have of course never gone away, and no progress has been made other than farms failing slowly but surely.

I understand what you are saying. I have a few family members who work or havw worked for Ford and General Motors. However, the collapse of these companies will have a tremendous impact of the economy. The market will suffer and plenty of small businesses around the country that make parts and supply these companies will be forced to close.

Unfortunately what you are saying is not an isolated view of what the Republican party has come to represent for a lot of people. Maybe the saving grace out of this election will be reestablishing the party as the one that stands for limited government and protection of the individual's rights and gets away from the social issues that have no place in federal government. That might be a fantasy, since it doesn't answer the question you guys hit on before:"What's in it for me?"

I remember a local radio show had Elizabeth Dole on a couple years ago and asked her,"What do you think the role of government is?" Her answer was ,"To help people." This from a Republican!

There ought to be more people in every level of government like Ron Paul. The more I read about him, the more I've come to realize that the country would be in much better shape if there were more Ron Pauls in government.

He is truly a great American.

They should stick to building quality, fuel efficent vechiles, which is why people are buying foreign.

Down in the Deep South, they have factories for Toyota (IIRC, in Mississippi), BMW (in South Carolina), and in Alabama (Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz).

Sorry for Detroit, but the new Detroit lies in Dixie.

EDIT: Last time I checked, Saturn, a division of GM, was still in Tennessee.

Down in the Deep South, they have factories for Toyota (IIRC, in Mississippi), BMW (in South Carolina), and in Alabama (Hyundai and Mercedes-Benz).

Sorry for Detroit, but the new Detroit lies in Dixie.

EDIT: Last time I checked, Saturn, a division of GM, was still in Tennessee.

Honda has one down South as well - I know there is one in Alabama -- and there is talk of a big midwset plant in Indiana.

I agree with that. If General Motors goes down, and possibly Ford too, a lot of people are going to be out of jobs and with no pensions.

1. Doesn't the UAW hold the pensions?

2. Ford and GM do a lot more than domestic cars. I certainly hope they are going to other countries for bailouts, too.

The state of GA is building a KIA plant in western GA as we speak

So we have major plants in the US for Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes and Kia, among others.

That's why I shook my head the other day when I saw a bumper sticker that read "please don't put my flag on a foreign car."

1. Doesn't the UAW hold the pensions?

2. Ford and GM do a lot more than domestic cars. I certainly hope they are going to other countries for bailouts, too.

The UAW does hold the fund, but GM funds it. If GM goes under, then there is not enough money to go around for everyone.

Number two, Ford and GM do more than sell in the US. However, those other countries, would love to see Ford and GM fall apart. The foreign companies would have a lot less competition.

The state of GA is building a KIA plant in western GA as we speak

Talk about having a light bulb come on in my head!

It's been a while since I've been out in that section of I-85. When you mentioned that, I instantly remembered what you were talking about.

I hate to say this, but most of the Red States are booming economically. Before my wife and I left Alabama (and I was formerly known as SabresInAL), Gov. Bob Riley brought thousands of jobs to the Heart of Dixie. If it wasn't for the fact that Alabama is one of the most corrupt states in the South, we might have considered moving back there. Georgia and Texas aren't off our table either.

So we have major plants in the US for Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes and Kia, among others.

That's why I shook my head the other day when I saw a bumper sticker that read "please don't put my flag on a foreign car."

Funny you should say that. I saw that in Niles, OH on a Chevy pickup truck earlier today.

Here's a hypothetical situation: What would have been the POTUS results had it been Obama vs. Ron Paul? Even Senator McCain once said of Congressman Paul when someone was going to work for him, "You're working for the most honest man in Congress."

Here's a hypothetical situation: What would have been the POTUS results had it been Obama vs. Ron Paul? Even Senator McCain once said of Congressman Paul when someone was going to work for him, "You're working for the most honest man in Congress."

I was a pretty strong Obama supporter against McCain. However, if Paul was the nominee, I think I would of made my mind up a lot later than I did. In fact, I probably would of switched over to Paul.

There you go again with your labelling and name calling......grow up DeLuca. So you have the audacity to call a religious President the "anti-Christ"? .... on what grounds?

Is it any coincidence that the winning lottery ticket in Illinois on Nov. 5 was 666 ?....... Maybe not :thumbdown:

Thanks for the tattoo idea.

On what grounds? Maybe it's the wars, death and destruction that are the cornerstones of his Presidency? The raping of the Constitution with the Patriot Act? Gitmo and the torturing? The destruction of the American economy? If GW isn't the Anti-Christ than the actual Anti-Christ has a lot of work to do not play second fiddle (Like the Charlie Daniels reference? :thumbsup: ) to the 'W'.

I was a pretty strong Obama supporter against McCain. However, if Paul was the nominee, I think I would of made my mind up a lot later than I did. In fact, I probably would of switched over to Paul.

Just by reading the Wikipedia page about Ron Paul, the guy is a rare breed. He is what the Republicans had been preaching all along. Too bad they didn't walk alongside with him. Now look at where they're at! :wallbash:

Just by reading the Wikipedia page about Ron Paul, the guy is a rare breed. He is what the Republicans had been preaching all along. Too bad they didn't walk alongside with him. Now look at where they're at! :wallbash:

I think people-especially conservatives-felt they had to pick one of the mainstream guys and stay in the middle (which is really left) in order to have a chance to compete with Obama or Hillary. That's why even here in Va Beach Ron Paul got a tiny amount of votes in the primary. Maybe now we can go back to the drawing board and get behind Paul and people like him because it is what we believe in, rather than just to try and cling to power.

I think people-especially conservatives-felt they had to pick one of the mainstream guys and stay in the middle (which is really left) in order to have a chance to compete with Obama or Hillary. That's why even here in Va Beach Ron Paul got a tiny amount of votes in the primary. Maybe now we can go back to the drawing board and get behind Paul and people like him because it is what we believe in, rather than just to try and cling to power.

FTR, I voted for Dr. Paul over here in Appomattox County.

If you think about it, he got (disclaimer: this is not a racist term) "blackballed" by his own party AND by Fox News. Shame on all of them!

Thanks for the tattoo idea.

On what grounds? Maybe it's the wars, death and destruction that are the cornerstones of his Presidency? The raping of the Constitution with the Patriot Act? Gitmo and the torturing? The destruction of the American economy? If GW isn't the Anti-Christ than the actual Anti-Christ has a lot of work to do not play second fiddle (Like the Charlie Daniels reference? :thumbsup: ) to the 'W'.

I see you conveniently forgot to mention 3,000 innocent lives being taken by Islamofascists during the W presidency? I bet you were one of superior thinkers who thought we deserved that, huh?

Can't wait to see how the Messiah responds when he will most surely be tested by a rogue dictator or terrorist attack....maybe we'll just "negotiate"

Seems kinda funny that a devoted atheist like you is conducting a moral witchhunt on anyone as the "Anti-Christ"

I see you conveniently forgot to mention 3,000 innocent lives being taken by Islamofascists during the W presidency? I bet you were one of superior thinkers who thought we deserved that, huh?

Can't wait to see how the Messiah responds when he will most surely be tested by a rogue dictator or terrorist attack....maybe we'll just "negotiate"

Seems kinda funny that a devoted atheist like you is conducting a moral witchhunt on anyone as the "Anti-Christ"

Don't encourage him. He feeds off posts like ours. It's called, "Misery Loves Company".

Archived