[OT] Fantasy hockey leagues

Claude Balls

So I'm in a Yahoo fantasy hockey league and after three games this dude from another team has offered me these trades.

After the Isles game I get this offer:

Bryan McCabe for Craig Rivet

After tonight's game

Alex Tanguay for Thomas Vanek

Now I've made some piss poor decisions in my life, but come on now. I ain't that stoopid.

LOL wow.

Speaking of Montreal, they had a 3-0 lead tonight vs. Boston in their home opener (first home game of their 100th year) and yet they blew it for a bit. Boston scored a goal in the 2nd and twice in the 3rd to take it to over time and the shootout, where Carey Price came up huge and Montreal won on a Alex Tanguay goal.

I've ran into some pretty bad offers along the way too. In my league, it's only about 10 of us, so it's not a real challenge to fill the roster with pretty decent players. But I offered up big money for Vanek and my bro shot me down...

MA Fleury and Danny Alfredsson for Vanek & Thomas Vokoun.

Probably would have been a dumb trade on my part, but I want Vanek. =P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I got romped in the Sabrespace league this year. Fortunately I was able to pull out a comeback in my other league and take 1st place in the standings with 2 days left in the season, riding on the atypically good goaltending of Vokoun, Mason and not so atypically, Thomas.

I can't wait for next season. :D

I enjoyed the experience. What I did find frustrating was getting beat by teams where the owner wasn't paying attention. Happened more than a few time throughout the course of the season. I'll be back next year with a much smarter draft position.

I enjoyed the experience. What I did find frustrating was getting beat by teams where the owner wasn't paying attention. Happened more than a few time throughout the course of the season. I'll be back next year with a much smarter draft position.

I think a few more top goaltenders will be drafted in the first round next year.

That was probably me. I turned into a deadbeat in February. I was all fired up the first half of the season, had 4 teams going etc. There's always that one guy in the league that makes the daily schedule trades maximizing every inch of the season. I couldnt do that. Had fun, will do again.

If I'd change anything, I'd dump a couple of the goaltending categories(losses and shutouts), get rid of PIM category and add other scoring categories(or add no other categories). The sabrespace leagues were too heavily weighted towards goaltending.

If I'd change anything, I'd dump a couple of the goaltending categories(losses and shutouts), get rid of PIM category and add other scoring categories(or add no other categories). The sabrespace leagues were too heavily weighted towards goaltending.

Agreed. If I end up a commissioner I would reduce the goaltending categories and increase the scoring ones.

I'm pretty sure those were the standard Yahoo! league setups. While I do agree about the goaltending (3 goaltenders have as equal the amount of points vs. your 20+ skaters), I cannot agree to take out PIMs. It really makes you round out your roster with tough guys that can chip in points (ie Avery), and well-rounded star players are worth even more (ie Iginla) just like the NHL.

I'm pretty sure those were the standard Yahoo! league setups. While I do agree about the goaltending (3 goaltenders have as equal the amount of points vs. your 20+ skaters), I cannot agree to take out PIMs. It really makes you round out your roster with tough guys that can chip in points (ie Avery), and well-rounded star players are worth even more (ie Iginla) just like the NHL.

I agree with this. Like Blue and a few others have said, goaltending was definitely weighed too heavily. The problem with the NHL is too many of their stats (hits, face-off percentage, etc are controlled by local arena officials)

For the record, I also hate the game winning goal category.

I cannot agree to take out PIMs. It really makes you round out your roster with tough guys that can chip in points (ie Avery), and well-rounded star players are worth even more (ie Iginla) just like the NHL.

I thought the same thing when I ended up with Iginla in the draft. But: Jarome averaged 0.451 PIM per game this season; Tim Connolly averaged 0.458. (Not that I'm complaining about having Iginla. Not that I'd choose TC over Jarome.)

But I agree. Plus PIM adds some variability that keeps it interesting. Who said the best team should always win?

It'd be nice if the season ended a week earlier. There's a lot of silly games that last week, and having good players on competitive teams isn't so helpful then - right during the second week of the final.

I also agree with the comments stating too much goaltending. I thought counting losses was a good idea - but why not half a win and a loss for an OTL (rather than no win and no loss)?. Maybe winning percent instead? I'm for dumping shutouts too. And why can't goaltenders accrue penalty minutes and assists? Not much there, but why not?

I don't care for GWG either. How about shorthanded points? Granted, they're rare, like shutouts, but they are precious and unique.

Maybe a second IR spot? I had to dump some guys who went on IR.

Finally: In a casual league like Sabrespace, I got the impression that optimizing opportunity via daily roster changes was a little too much for some people. Perhaps an alternative offering, with changes only weekly, makes sense?

Archived