[OT] Help me figure out who to cheer for in the baseball playoffs...

LabattBlue

Everyone is missing the point. After all the seasons of losing, wouldn't you think the fans would jump on the bandwagon at the first sign of success?

I think the problem is that they never got to develop their fan base because of their lack of success. Therefore, there is no one to come out even when they turned the corner.

The only time I can root for Boston is when they're playing the Yankees, a la 2004. Ugh.

I can't cheer for ANY team from Philadelphia in any sport. Yes, I EVEN found myself cheering for the Cheatriots over the Iggles in the Super Bowl a few years back.

So that just leaves Tampa Bay.

I take it your a newly converted rays fan? regardless appreciate the banter as the game goes on. GL :thumbsup:

I'm a long-suffering Indians fan first. As such, I am legally obligated to hate the Yank$ and Red $ox, and I do so with pleasure.

But I worked in the FO of the Rays' AA team a few years back, so I know some of the guys who are with the Tampa franchise and a couple guys from our AA team are on the Rays now, so I am pulling hard for those guys to get a shot at a ring. I've always followed them and the guys who moved up and on from our team, and really want to see them do well.

So you can see I have a lot riding on this. My usual hatred for the Red $ox and pulling for guys I got to know a little before they were in the bigs.

I'm a long-suffering Indians fan first. As such, I am legally obligated to hate the Yank$ and Red $ox, and I do so with pleasure.

But I worked in the FO of the Rays' AA team a few years back, so I know some of the guys who are with the Tampa franchise and a couple guys from our AA team are on the Rays now, so I am pulling hard for those guys to get a shot at a ring. I've always followed them and the guys who moved up and on from our team, and really want to see them do well.

So you can see I have a lot riding on this. My usual hatred for the Red $ox and pulling for guys I got to know a little before they were in the bigs.

sounds like a few very good reasons. My cheering for the sox began from a hatred of the yankees. I felt for the years of no championships (the curse) as a buffalo fan, so i hitched my wagon to the red sox train. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter the 2004 bandwagon fans jumped aboard and now everyone gets lumped into those. It's strange rooting for a winner...

See you for game 5 in tampa. Looks to be a better series than i thought.

Un #%^$#!ing believable!!!! The TBS announcer should be taken out back and shot through the head. During the 7th the jackass asks the other guy, "so how will Tampa Bay match up with the Phillies for the 2008 World Series?" Now they have to face the knock kneed Beckett and John "the Mo" Lester. Tampa better not choke this thing away. They are young and this loss might have just #%^$#!ed them all up.

Un #%^$#!ing believable!!!! The TBS announcer should be taken out back and shot through the head. During the 7th the jackass asks the other guy, "so how will Tampa Bay match up with the Phillies for the 2008 World Series?" Now they have to face the knock kneed Beckett and John "the Mo" Lester. Tampa better not choke this thing away. They are young and this loss might have just #%^$#!ed them all up.

They are young, but there are a couple of veterans on that team that have been around (Pena, Cliff Floyd), albeit without much playoff experience.

If there's any reason that they won't choke it away, it'll be Joe Maddon. He's the manager of the year, IMO, and has had the players' heads on straight all year long. He's going to take the angle that winning the pennant shouldn't be taken for granted and they need to play a full 9 innings.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees/Bills/Sabres fan and obligated to hate everything that is Boston (Red Sox, Patriots*, Bruins). I was rooting for the Cubs, but since they choked, I've been pulling for the Rays. Except when the Yankees are in the mix, I'm always rooting for the underdogs and the teams that have never been there before or haven't been there in a looooooooong time.

If there's any reason that they won't choke it away, it'll be Joe Maddon. He's the manager of the year, IMO, and has had the players' heads on straight all year long. He's going to take the angle that winning the pennant shouldn't be taken for granted and they need to play a full 9 innings.

Bingo. Maddon will do what Wedge couldn't do last year with the Tribe - he will get the Rays ready, he'll get a good start out of Shields, and his veterans will help calm the nerves of the youngsters.

Maddon has a habit of he and his staff talking with players individually before big games to see where their heads are and to get them in the right frame of mind. I think they'll be ready.

Plus let's not forget how shakey Beckett has been this postseason. His fastball is down 5 MPH, which is affecting all his other pitches.

Beckett's performance could trump anything the Rays do, whether they come out ready to play or not.

I can't believe I stopped watching the game at the beginning of the 7th last night! I woke up this morning and the Red Sox made the biggest comeback in 76 years in an ALCS game! Man, why did I not stay up?!

Sox are the come from behind team. I still think the Rays WILL win the series, but you never know...Yankees thought they had it wrapped up after being up 3 games to none. And the...crap, I can't remember the team, thought they had it wrapped up when they were up 3-1.

3-2 series now. Go Rays.

sounds like a few very good reasons. My cheering for the sox began from a hatred of the yankees. I felt for the years of no championships (the curse) as a buffalo fan, so i hitched my wagon to the red sox train. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter the 2004 bandwagon fans jumped aboard and now everyone gets lumped into those. It's strange rooting for a winner...

See you for game 5 in tampa. Looks to be a better series than i thought.

I grew up a Yankees fan, will always be a Yankees fan and your post is the reason I have great disdain for Red Sox fans in Buffalo.

I can't believe I stopped watching the game at the beginning of the 7th last night! I woke up this morning and the Red Sox made the biggest comeback in 76 years in an ALCS game! Man, why did I not stay up?!

Sox are the come from behind team. I still think the Rays WILL win the series, but you never know...Yankees thought they had it wrapped up after being up 3 games to none. And the...crap, I can't remember the team, thought they had it wrapped up when they were up 3-1.

3-2 series now. Go Rays.

Each year the Sox won the Series they overcame a 3-1 deficit. First the Yankees and last season the Indians.

I grew up a Yankees fan, will always be a Yankees fan and your post is the reason I have great disdain for Red Sox fans in Buffalo.

...but if it wasn't for fans like you, rooting for the winningest franchise in sports even though you have no geographical ties to it, there wouldn't be fans like him.

Root for whoever will wrap up the Series the quickest. It's not that I dislike playoff baseball and the Phillies--I like both. But with the Phillies still playing ball, it's diverting Philly's attention, pain and angst from the dysfunctional start by the Fly-boys. I kind of thought they were going to look like the Lightning of the past couple years--scoring not a problem generally, but tons of problems in their own end. So far--so good. Now, if only Philadelphia were watching...

Archived