Iginla - Mitchel fight

X. Benedict

is my favorite shot on the button. :worthy:

Now that is what I call "ONE SHOT ONE KILL!!!"

I just knew that once I saw the names Downey and Boulerice that I'd heard about this fight before.

BTW, should Jesse Boulerice change his name to Kimbo Slice?

I'll always be partial to

Ok, my memory of every Sabres fight doesn't go back that far, but that has to be one of the most memorable fights I've ever seen.

Oh, to relive those glory days when NOBODY (not our fellow Sabrespace member) messed with us. Bougher, Ray, May, Barnaby. Our own version of the Hanson Brother. Sucks that those days are mostly gone. :cry:

Ok, my memory of every Sabres fight doesn't go back that far, but that has to be one of the most memorable fights I've ever seen.

Oh, to relive those glory days when NOBODY (not our fellow Sabrespace member) messed with us. Bougher, Ray, May, Barnaby. Our own version of the Hanson Brother. Sucks that those days are mostly gone. :cry:

uh, let's not forget that team finished last in the division and missed the playoffs despite Hasek starting most games in goal and laFontaine scoring 40 goals ... that team sucked ... just sayin' ... they could have used some grit but I'll take the "disappointing" Presidents Trophy squad over missing the playoffs ...

uh, let's not forget that team finished last in the division and missed the playoffs despite Hasek starting most games in goal and laFontaine scoring 40 goals ... that team sucked ... just sayin' ... they could have used some grit but I'll take the "disappointing" Presidents Trophy squad over missing the playoffs ...

IIRC, they did miss the playoffs that year. However, I know that some hockey writers stated that that particular team made every team earn their two points because of the goon squad that we possessed at the time. Having said that, it is a reminder of the toughness that we desperately need on our team.

IIRC, they did miss the playoffs that year. However, I know that some hockey writers stated that that particular team made every team earn their two points because of the goon squad that we possessed at the time. Having said that, it is a reminder of the toughness that we desperately need on our team.

Again, I agree they needed more toughness and and Rivet, and I like it ... but if you are going to call a "goon squad" that lost more than it won but made ever team earn the two points the "glory days" ... I still say that's crazy.

Iginla is the kind of player a team can only dream of having. He is truly the total package and you pay him whatever it takes to ensure that he never wears another teams jersey.

PS I hate seeing videos of Ray or other Sabres who actually knew how to fight, knowing what we have now. <_<

PS2 Another good one punch knockout without even grabbing hold of the opponent. http://hockeyfights.com/fights/43083

Iginla is awesome. Plain and simple. He didn't win that fight though. If that one punch happened at the beginning when it would have had tonnes of steam on it, it could have been devastating. Mitchell won the bought imo, but it was a great tilt.

Now check out this clip of Rick Rypien, same game, doing the Flame player. Love the guys who can switch hands at will. The Flame dude had no idea what was going on.

Again, I agree they needed more toughness and and Rivet, and I like it ... but if you are going to call a "goon squad" that lost more than it won but made ever team earn the two points the "glory days" ... I still say that's crazy.

Just telling you what the hockey writers wrote about the fact that that year's Sabres, in spite of missing the playoffs, made other teams earn their two points. It wasn't my take on it - it was theirs.

IIRC there are a couple of facts about that team as well - even if it is useless trivia: they led the league in PIM's that season, and Ted Nolan was the bench boss.

What can I say? Even though Mike Tyson never fought in Buffalo (that I know of), we could at least count on a fight card for each and every Sabres home game that season.

Iginla is awesome. Plain and simple. He didn't win that fight though. If that one punch happened at the beginning when it would have had tonnes of steam on it, it could have been devastating. Mitchell won the bought imo, but it was a great tilt.

Now check out this clip of Rick Rypien, same game, doing the Flame player. Love the guys who can switch hands at will. The Flame dude had no idea what was going on.

Never heard of him, but can he throw them. What a beat down! :thumbsup:

PS I hate seeing videos of Ray or other Sabres who actually knew how to fight knowing what we have now. <_<

I wholeheartedly agree. Gone are the days of John Ferguson, Tiger Williams, Bob Probert, Tie Domi, Tony Twist, Stu Grimson, and our own Rayzor.

I even lament over this.

I like the fact that both guys ripped off their helmets. I wish the agitators who start stuff wouldn't hide behind their visors.

I think the visors should be "tear away" and removed prior to a fight, but removing your helmet is downright stupid. Watching what Kaleta did to Witt, Witt could have easily hit his head on the ice and been hurt seriously.

I think the visors should be "tear away" and removed prior to a fight, but removing your helmet is downright stupid. Watching what Kaleta did to Witt, Witt could have easily hit his head on the ice and been hurt seriously.

I say this with all due respect, but Bill Masterton did not wear a helmet when he played his final game for the Minnesota North Stars (and players wearing helmets was not common in those days).

On the other hand, when Marty McSorley swung his stick at Donald Brashear, Brashear's helmet popped off (I think) as he was about to hit his head on the ice. Brashear wound up getting a concussion from that incident, and the rest is history.

Just telling you what the hockey writers wrote about the fact that that year's Sabres, in spite of missing the playoffs, made other teams earn their two points. It wasn't my take on it - it was theirs.

I wasn't disputing that part ... I agree that team made other teams work. It also lost a lot and missed the playoffs ... I'm disputing you calling that the "glory days" ...

Like Ink said, maybe your priorities are different, but for me winning games comes first. We need more toughness than we had last year, but seems like you would be happy with last year's results if only there were more fights ... I just can't get my head around that. To each his own, i guess.

Archived