Iginla - Mitchel fight

X. Benedict

I wasn't disputing that part ... I agree that team made other teams work. It also lost a lot and missed the playoffs ... I'm disputing you calling that the "glory days" ...

Like Ink said, maybe your priorities are different, but for me winning games comes first. We need more toughness than we had last year, but seems like you would be happy with last year's results if only there were more fights ... I just can't get my head around that. To each his own, i guess.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. We still need more toughness instead of winding up like

. But you have to admit that it was fun to watch our goons back then get in a scrap. Seemed to occur on a nightly basis.

Having said that, Blue brought up a good point about the quality and caliber of enforcers these days. There may be a few decent ones out there, but it seems like the fighters out there today can't hold a candle to guys like Bob Probert, Tie Domi, Tony Twist, our own Rayzor, et. al.

• 5 months later...

The Sabres need a guy like this in their lineup.

Once again, Rick Rypien does his thing.

Not only can he throw with both hands equally, he's a terrific skater, and has some hands. The only downside, he has Tim Connollyitis and is often injured.

Anyway, this is from last night.

Zack Stortini 6'3" 228 lbs

Rick Rypien 5' 11" 170 lbs

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/63877

GmEDbTi7XOs

Just when you think Iginla is out of this...he comes back to land a left right on the button.

i agree iginla is awesome but this has nothing to do with it! so can we please rescue hockey from the 1970s and end these STUPID hockey fights?

who the hell cares who got a slightly better "shot" in before the refs jumped on them? fighting in hockey is irrelevant and an embarrassment. before anyone starts on me, i'm not against contact or checking or physical play, but it just cracks me up that everyone gets a hard-on over meaningless hockey fights. the add nothing to the game but wasted time. i admit to having a soft spot for guys like ray and domi (who even managed to score a meaningful goal here and there) but the time has come to put this silliness to bed. for god's sake, a guy just died a few weeks back over all this fake-macho hockey fight bulschidt.

it's enough already.

...but it just cracks me up that everyone gets a hard-on over meaningless hockey fights.

There are meaningless fights in hockey. Like 99% of Andrew Peters fights. The throw out your goon and I'll throw out my goon thing is tired.

When players start taking liberties with your team's players and in particular goalies, I think fighting is necessary. It let's the other team know, don't mess around with this guy or we going to punch you in the face. It makes a difference. If the NHL actually penalized players the way they should, perhaps a need for this type of policing isn't necessary. Until then, which will probably be never, fighting has a place in hockey.

Archived