"Sabres send first wave to Portland"

wildcat48

Gogulla going back to Germany is . Come over and learn the NA game or don't sign a contract. The Sabres should have drawn the line in the sand prior to giving him a contract.

If he signed a 3 year contract, does he still have 3 years to fulfill when he finally decides to grow up and come to NA? Are we paying him to play over in Germany?

Gogulla going back to Germany is . Come over and learn the NA game or don't sign a contract. The Sabres should have drawn the line in the sand prior to giving him a contract.

If he signed a 3 year contract, does he still have 3 years to fulfill when he finally decides to grow up and come to NA? Are we paying him to play over in Germany?

The German team pays him but it counts towards his years of service on his entry level deal.

The German team pays him but it counts towards his years of service on his entry level deal.

I'd still rather see his development years being spent in the AHL under Sabres coaches versus in Germany. This primadonna status of I'm going home if I don't make it in the NHL doesn't sit well with me.

I'd still rather see his development years being spent in the AHL under Sabres coaches versus in Germany. This primadonna status of I'm going home if I don't make it in the NHL doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. If he's in Portland, he has a decent shot at a call up. That's not happening from Germany. It can't help his career in any way.

I agree. I'm very disappointed in Gogulla's decison although it doesn't come as a shock because he has always hinted in the German papers (sabres.com forum has a German who translates articles) that he will want to return unless he makes the Sabres. The team he plays for has a chance to win it all this season. But, after 2 stright good camps, i think he would have just came over here and worked on his weaknesses with Kevin Dineen and then been called up at some point. He's a NHL quality player.

I agree. I'm very disappointed in Gogulla's decison although it doesn't come as a shock because he has always hinted in the German papers (sabres.com forum has a German who translates articles) that he will want to return unless he makes the Sabres. The team he plays for has a chance to win it all this season. But, after 2 stright good camps, i think he would have just came over here and worked on his weaknesses with Kevin Dineen and then been called up at some point. He's a NHL quality player.

Good info there.

Does a German kid place more value in a DEL championship than in an opportunity to play for the Cup? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm pretty naive to Euro leagues, but I bet he'll make more playing in the DEL league than in the 'A' - and there is something to be said for wanting to be closer to home. But it is discouraging from a Sabres' fan perspective for sure.

According to Sabreprospects.com, his team in Germany sucks this year.

Also, WGR is reporting that Adam Dennis was sent ot Portland and Tyler Myers sent back to his junior team leaving roster at 32 players.

Regarding Gogulla, is there any info as to what the Sabres' preference was? I think I've read that NHL teams sometimes prefer prospects to play in the European leagues. If not, then I agree this isn't a good sign, but I don't think there's any need to just assume he's being a prima donna without knowledge.

Regarding Gogulla, is there any info as to what the Sabres' preference was? I think I've read that NHL teams sometimes prefer prospects to play in the European leagues. If not, then I agree this isn't a good sign, but I don't think there's any need to just assume he's being a prima donna without knowledge.

Don't remember where, but I believe I read that the Sabres would have preferred he go to Portland but their hands are tied.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. If he's in Portland, he has a decent shot at a call up. That's not happening from Germany. It can't help his career in any way.

It makes me wonder if Jochen Hecht tried to talk some sense into him before he made up his mind. Maybe Tom Webster knows (or does he?).

Let's see how long things will last in Portland for Michael Card. Having said that, is there a provision to send him to the Mudbugs?

If Weber ends up in Portland to start the season and assuming that Gragnani is now a forward full-time(at least he was in the training camp visits I made), that leaves you with...

Weber

Funk

Butler

Card

Kostka

I am either missing a couple of players or as it stands today Portland is short on blueliners.

It makes me wonder if Jochen Hecht tried to talk some sense into him before he made up his mind. Maybe Tom Webster knows (or does he?).

I get the feeling that it's something Hecht really doesn't care about too much. I'd think that other things should be on his mind well before that. I'm sure he's going to have some interaction with another German player, but I can't see him wasting too much time on it.

Maybe someone else can answer this one. Hecht only played one season in the AHL (he was 21 at the time, the same age Gogulla is now). Did he return to Germany in the same way Gogulla has at any point?

If Weber ends up in Portland to start the season and assuming that Gragnani is now a forward full-time(at least he was in the training camp visits I made), that leaves you with...

Weber

Funk

Butler

Card

Kostka

I am either missing a couple of players or as it stands today Portland is short on blueliners.

Missing Persson :rolleyes: ?

I get the feeling that it's something Hecht really doesn't care about too much. I'd think that other things should be on his mind well before that. I'm sure he's going to have some interaction with another German player, but I can't see him wasting too much time on it.

Maybe someone else can answer this one. Hecht only played one season in the AHL (he was 21 at the time, the same age Gogulla is now). Did he return to Germany in the same way Gogulla has at any point?

He was drafted two years before he played in the AHL so I assume he played in Germany before coming over. It was different back then as you know. Players only recently have decided that unless they play in the NHL, playing in their own country makes sense to them. I think it has lot to do with less and less European's being picked in the first round.

He's already back in Europe and actually scored the other day.

I thought it was funny.

He was drafted two years before he played in the AHL so I assume he played in Germany before coming over. It was different back then as you know. Players only recently have decided that unless they play in the NHL, playing in their own country makes sense to them. I think it has lot to do with less and less European's being picked in the first round.

Yeah, I see that he definitely played in germany after being drafted, but I have no idea when he actually signed his contract.

I thought it was funny.

Yeah, I see that he definitely played in germany after being drafted, but I have no idea when he actually signed his contract.

I think the new CBA created an incentive to sign contracts early to use up your entry level portion of the salary cap. I am not sure but I think back then once a player signed a contract, he came over.

I think the new CBA created an incentive to sign contracts early to use up your entry level portion of the salary cap. I am not sure but I think back then once a player signed a contract, he came over.

I'd say the only incentive to sign early is the fact that the teams don't hold on to the rights of europeans forever anymore. They lose them after two years just like a kid playing up in canada in the juniors. I was skimming through the CBA yesterday looking for these situations where they loan the guy back to europe and couldn't find anything, so it's tough to tell how much has changed.

I'd say the only incentive to sign early is the fact that the teams don't hold on to the rights of europeans forever anymore. They lose them after two years just like a kid playing up in canada in the juniors. I was skimming through the CBA yesterday looking for these situations where they loan the guy back to europe and couldn't find anything, so it's tough to tell how much has changed.

From a player's perspective, they sign an entry level contract with the NHL, play for their country's team for a couple of years and if your were right in an earlier post, accelerate their eligibilty for a non entry level contract in the NHL.

From a team's perspective, they retain his rights while under contract but don't pay anything and then can decide if the player is worth extending.

Archived