Gaustad Out 3-4 weeks

frisky

Was last year more an issue of a team being wiped out physically and emotionally after two long runs in the playoffs than losing the co-captains? I don't know. My gut tells me it was just 1999-2000 all over again. I never viewed Drury and Briere as "carrying the Sabres" or irreplaceable elements. I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you are. Or realistic. :)

Its easy to talk the talk. They tried to convince us last year that they would prove they were more then Drury and Briere and the minute things went bad they had no one to turn it around. The sticks got heavier during the shootouts, the passes got softer in the third period and at the end of the year they were left with excuses, the last one being that they were physically and emotionally drained from two long runs in the playoffs. Of course Drury and Briere somehow managed to fight their way back into the playoffs, but I am sure they were just along for the ride. How do other teams do it?

It will be interesting to see if Teppo and Rivet can add to that mental toughness that at least I feel they were missing last year.

And one of if not the biggest leader from the 06-07 season is back with this team again this year. Don't underestimate what Teppo's presence will have on the rest of this team, especially the blue liners.

Yeah, people only talk about losing Briere and Drury when it comes to losing leadership, but they really lost their three biggest leaders in one year. We have Teppo back now, added Rivet and the "young guys" are a year closer to being "veterans". That's a hell of a lot closer to 2006-07 than what we had that year. In addition, we swapped Teppo, Rivet and Sekera in for Kalinan, Pratt and Campbell. With the possible exception of Sekera vs. Campbell (now, anyway), those are upgrades to our D. Rivet and, when called up, Weber add to the physical presence on the blue line, balancing out the otherwise finesse defense. Plus, Teppo and Rivet are right handed, something that we haven't had on defense since 2006-07 (even then, it was just Teppo.) Finally, Lalime should be an upgrade. I don't know that I read cup contender yet, but I definitely see a better team than last year and it will only get better as some of the current contracts end this year and next.

Regarding the.....He got hurt doing something a physical leader does -- fighting someone on the other team who had just cheap-shotted one of our guys. He just got a nice contract ......

Word from Lindy is Goose said he got hurt on the shift before he got in the fight.

Mair is cleared to play in the final pre-season game.

Was last year more an issue of a team being wiped out physically and emotionally after two long runs in the playoffs than losing the co-captains? I don't know. My gut tells me it was just 1999-2000 all over again. I never viewed Drury and Briere as "carrying the Sabres" or irreplaceable elements. I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you are. Or realistic. :)

I dont think they carried the team I think they made the team more complete..There is a big difference..

And one of if not the biggest leader from the 06-07 season is back with this team again this year. Don't underestimate what Teppo's presence will have on the rest of this team, especially the blue liners.

I just dont see it happening with him this yr....But the proof will be in the upcoming season..We will see..

Its easy to talk the talk. They tried to convince us last year that they would prove they were more then Drury and Briere and the minute things went bad they had no one to turn it around. The sticks got heavier during the shootouts, the passes got softer in the third period and at the end of the year they were left with excuses, the last one being that they were physically and emotionally drained from two long runs in the playoffs. Of course Drury and Briere somehow managed to fight their way back into the playoffs, but I am sure they were just along for the ride. How do other teams do it?

It will be interesting to see if Teppo and Rivet can add to that mental toughness that at least I feel they were missing last year.

I like the Rivet addition..He can help turn things around..The problem is we need 2 more like him..Weber and a big hardnosed 2 way center that can take away a teams top line and give Roys line a chance to go up against the 2nd and 3rd lines would do for me....I would still rather see Weber over either Teppo or more so Toni lydman...

I like your optimism, but to me, last season's plummet was definitely, no question about it, due to the stomach punch of losing the captains, plus the supplemental blow of losing Teppo -- who was the most likely successor according to Mair at the time -- right before camp.

Good post. I largely agree, but at least in Drury's case, he was joining a good, tough playoff team with other stars and plenty of veteran leadership. Briere joined a team with a good amount of imported veteran leadership -- but in any case I think Philly will prove to have been a flash in the pan.

I dont think they carried the team I think they made the team more complete..There is a big difference..

I like the Rivet addition..He can help turn things around..The problem is we need 2 more like him..Weber and a big hardnosed 2 way center that can take away a teams top line and give Roys line a chance to go up against the 2nd and 3rd lines would do for me....I would still rather see Weber over either Teppo or more so Toni lydman...

Yes yes yes on the tough center. Holy mackarel would I love to see them add Sundin for a Thanksgiving surprise. No on Weber over Teppo. Teppo will be a huge addition this year, albeit not a flashy one. I might be with you on Weber over Tallinder, though, if Tally doesn't improve over last year (to me, Tallinder seems like he's in danger of permanently losing his mojo).

Here's another thought on the loss of Gaustad: Brendan Shanahan is still unsigned. The Rangers have a lot of forwards and aren't committing to him, and he's said that if he can't work out a deal with them, he'll look at other teams. Linkage.

Shanny is from Toronto. He's 6-3, 220, and had 23-23-46 last year in 73 games. He's been on 3 Cup winners. He's EXACTLY the kind of tough SOB/experienced leader we need at forward.

It's way too splashy of a move for Darcy, but I would jump for joy if we snagged him.

Here's another thought on the loss of Gaustad: Brendan Shanahan is still unsigned. The Rangers have a lot of forwards and aren't committing to him, and he's said that if he can't work out a deal with them, he'll look at other teams. Linkage.

Shanny is from Toronto. He's 6-3, 220, and had 23-23-46 last year in 73 games. He's been on 3 Cup winners. He's EXACTLY the kind of tough SOB/experienced leader we need at forward.

It's way too splashy of a move for Darcy, but I would jump for joy if we snagged him.

What he said.

Under the category of there is a silver lining in every cloud...

We won't see Gaustad on the PP while he is out! :thumbsup:

I recall seeing Rob Ray on the PP at one point in time as the Sabres had no one effective in front of the net. Goose is good at what he is asked to do, stand in front of the net, take a beating and screen the goalie. He doesn't have Vanek's "magical" hands :rolleyes: but his willingness to take that beating is unparalelled on this team. We need more players like Gaustad not less.

i like the idea, but there's no frickin' way this happens.

imo, neither side to such a transaction has the requisite interest to make it happen.

Regretfully I think you are right. I was thinking that with Shanny being from Toronto, coming to Buffalo might be acceptable due to proximity to home. As for the Sabres' interest -- he wouldn't cost too much (and there will be plenty of room in the budget if we trade Max), and Darcy has to realize that we still need a tough veteran forward, doesn't he? He would have to prefer Shanny to MacArthur, wouldn't he? But you are probably right.

I recall seeing Rob Ray on the PP at one point in time as the Sabres had no one effective in front of the net. Goose is good at what he is asked to do, stand in front of the net, take a beating and screen the goalie. He doesn't have Vanek's "magical" hands :rolleyes: but his willingness to take that beating is unparalleled on this team. We need more players like Gaustad not less.

We tried the the four-forward PP unit and that didn't work, so maybe we should try the three-defensemen unit: two at the points and Rivet in front of the net. :)

Regretfully I think you are right. I was thinking that with Shanny being from Toronto, coming to Buffalo might be acceptable due to proximity to home. As for the Sabres' interest -- he wouldn't cost too much (and there will be plenty of room in the budget if we trade Max), and Darcy has to realize that we still need a tough veteran forward, doesn't he? He would have to prefer Shanny to MacArthur, wouldn't he? But you are probably right.

Don't bet on it.

If we have learned anything at all about Darcy by now, it is that he doesn't believe in physical play or the importance of veteran leadership.

Archived