GDT

Strow

Wow, the crowd really looked to be into it.

It was quiet when they were down 0-2 with about two minutes left. For those who didn't see, we had:

1) Miller pulled during PP with about 2:00, Max pass redirected by Roy and then maybe Vanek.

2) Miller pulled during another PP with 5 second left, Rivet to Max to Goose with a beautiful redirect.

3) Short OT, Roy dangles, then Kotalik takes it back to the point and fires it home for the win.

Awesome! I get to see the Leafs score two PP goals and then my wife calls me to find a crib for our baby and I miss every Buffalo goal from there on. Oh well.

My thoughts based on what I saw:

1. I have a tough time getting into preseason hockey. It's tough to watch this game knowing that Pominville, Hecht, Connolly, and Paille are not in the lineup and they would be if this were a real game. Those guys are key to the offense and penalty kill.

2. The defense played pretty well for the most part including the 5 minute PP in the second. But then they gave up two PP goals in the third. I liked seeing Rivet and Teppo out there. Teppo did have one turnover that led to a goal, but for the most part, great clearing passes and was effective in getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

3. Even though it's a meaningless game, it's good to see Max have a nice game tonight and be key to the offense, and nice to see Kotalik get the game winner. I thought Max had a solid game tonight in general, from what I saw.

Overall, given that maybe half of the real team played, I liked what I saw in the defensive zone, and it was a nice gritty effort to come back, but it's the Leafs and they can't hold leads against us ever.

Game being replayed at http://www.mogulus.com/jtvsports_ right now.

Thanks, dude. I'm so happy we've got Rivet now. I just saw him beat up Hollweg. Wasn't really close. I'm so so happy that we've got Rivet. Can contribute on offense, very solid defensive defenseman, and will fight and stand up for Miller. Wow, we've missed a player like that.

Was just looking at the TOI stats from the game. Not surprisingly, Roy had 25:03 (13:03 EV, 8:01 PP, 3:59 SH). What did surprise me was that Sekera got 29:59 (15:42 EV, 7:42 PP, 6:35 SH), which was 6 minutes more than the second most, Teppo Numminen with 23:49 (13:24 EV, 5:15 PP, 5:10 SH.) Do you think, maybe, that they are grooming him to be able to take Campbell's minutes? Also good to see the old man racking up the minutes.

Yeah, it's nice to see an actual hockey player out there instead of the ice ballet dancers the Sabres have been parading around for the last few years.

It's nice to finally have some balance. I wouldn't trade Roy for any "tough" player* in the league (not counting OV), but we need some of both, especially on D. To long, our D has been a veritable ballet company.

* Note: I think Roy is tough in his own respects, but not a true "tough" (physical) player.

Archived