Classic Series (1992)

Hawerchuk

They had the Sabres vs Bruins in the '92 Adams quarterfinals on last night. That was a heartbreaker were they lose game 7 in OT. Tom Draper in net. Sabres came back from a 3-1 game deficit. Boston had that punk Glen Wesley who I friggin HATE (and then won a CUP with the WhaleCane's in '05 :death: )

My question is if anyone was watching or remembers, was, where the heck was Mogilny?? Didn't he play in that series?? I didn't see him at all out there. They had plenty of LALA and Hawerchuk but no AMo#89. Anyone know?

Sabres get revenge next year when the sweep Boston in 4 games with the May Day classic goal. I love NHL Network! In fact, I turned that on instead of that boring NFL Kickoff game last night between the Giants and Skins. That game sucked it was so damn boring. I watched a classic hockey game that I already knew the outcome because it was more exciting than a stupid Thursday Kickoff Special. HOCKEY RULES!!

They had the Sabres vs Bruins in the '92 Adams quarterfinals on last night. That was a heartbreaker were they lose game 7 in OT. Tom Draper in net. Sabres came back from a 3-1 game deficit. Boston had that punk Glen Wesley who I friggin HATE (and then won a CUP with the WhaleCane's in '05 :death: )

My question is if anyone was watching or remembers, was, where the heck was Mogilny?? Didn't he play in that series?? I didn't see him at all out there. They had plenty of LALA and Hawerchuk but no AMo#89. Anyone know?

Two slight corrections. The Sabres didn't lose in overtime, but it might as well have been. Dave Reid (God, I hope his name was Dave) scored with just a few minutes left in regulation time to break the tie. And it was the Adams Semifinal round (first round of the playoffs).

Mogilny played in only two games in the series, recording two assists. I don't remember the circumstances of his absences. TaroT will certainly remember, along with the game time of those two helpers. :)

I DO remember Game 6 at the Aud! 9-3 baby! Alas, it was yet another sword-tease.

Two slight corrections. The Sabres didn't lose in overtime, but it might as well have been. Dave Reid (God, I hope his name was Dave) scored with just a few minutes left in regulation time to break the tie. And it was the Adams Semifinal round (first round of the playoffs).

Mogilny played in only two games in the series, recording two assists. I don't remember the circumstances of his absences. TaroT will certainly remember, along with the game time of those two helpers. :)

I DO remember Game 6 at the Aud! 9-3 baby! Alas, it was yet another sword-tease.

Thanks PASabreFan.

TaroT.... where are you?! :unsure:

Thanks PASabreFan.

TaroT.... where are you?! :unsure:

I was stuck driving bar to bar that night, as my regular hockey bar did it's annual "screw the hockey fans that pay the bills", the idiot Rocket fans want to see Rockets and only Rockets. (Even though the pricks could watch the Rockets in their home. Dumb #sses.) Got booted out of the reincarnation of Dolf's and ended up at Sansone's west end bar. Which was a serious festival for Bills and Sabres games.

Spent far too much of the night waiting to get to see the game to have a valid opinion on the game. Sansone's beer was far superior to the other bar's. And the last few months of my Houston sports watching was spent in Sansones.

Per Rob Ray's book "Rayzor's Edge" (I highly recommend it, it is a great read)

"The score was tied, 2-2, in the third, when Boston's Dave Reid skated into the Sabres zone and took about a 25-footer from the left side that beat Draper."

1992 was the year of the Three Headed Goalie Monster with Tom Draper, Clint Malarchuk, and Draren Puppa. They all played atleast 26 games that year.

After the Reid goal, Draper only played 11 more games as a Sabre, as Buffalo tried to improve their goaltending with an acquisition from Chicago and the rest is as they say history.

There was no mention of why Mogilny was oot.

Per Rob Ray's book "Rayzor's Edge" (I highly recommend it, it is a great read)

"The score was tied, 2-2, in the third, when Boston's Dave Reid skated into the Sabres zone and took about a 25-footer from the left side that beat Draper."

1992 was the year of the Three Headed Goalie Monster with Tom Draper, Clint Malarchuk, and Draren Puppa. They all played atleast 26 games that year.

After the Reid goal, Draper only played 11 more games as a Sabre, as Buffalo tried to improve their goaltending with an acquisition from Chicago and the rest is as they say history.

There was no mention of why Mogilny was oot.

I thought he had a bad ankle...

I thought he had a bad ankle...

i dunno about this series, but it was the following season, after the sweep of the bruins that alex almost got his foot twisted off in front of the net vs. the habs (game 3, i think). broke it, out, lost the series in 4 (didn't all four games go to OT, each one having the same 4-3 score? i'm too lazy to look it up).

i dunno about this series, but it was the following season, after the sweep of the bruins that alex almost got his foot twisted off in front of the net vs. the habs (game 3, i think). broke it, out, lost the series in 4 (didn't all four games go to OT, each one having the same 4-3 score? i'm too lazy to look it up).

They were all 4-3, but only Games 2, 3 and 4 went to OT. The Sabres tied Game 4 at the Aud with very little time left in regulation to stave off elimination, for a bit.

Probably not necessary, but this is injury Will is talking about.... ow... is all I can say about that injury

I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think he broke any bones in that injury, but there was severe muscle and tendon tears in his ankle

another gruesome injury in Buffalo history

LaFontain had an empty net near the end of game seven but did something like move the puck from backhand to forehand and losts it. If I remember it right

That was a great series. Draper just blew the winning goal. :wallbash:

Much like a certain #39 did some 9 years later.

Hate it when history repeats itself :wallbash:

PASabre...you made 2 slight corrections but you let the 2005 Cup reference stand? Shame. You've been eating too many pancakes and too much crossed bacon.

Hawerchuk, thanks for the memory (even if it isn't a very nice one)...I also always respected, but hated, Wesley. (Plus his name makes me think of that snotty kid from "Mr. Belvedere." I was always waiting for Bob Uecker to kick that kid's ass, too.)

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid DirecTV and NHL Network toyed with my emotions tonight...on-screen programming guide said they were showing an hour of Sabres-related stuff - Top 10 Sabres-Bruins playoff games, followed by Top-10 Sabres-Canadiens playoff games. So I set the DVR to record them, sat down a few minutes ago - and the Sabres-Bruins show, the one I really wanted to see, didn't air. Instead they showed the "Top-10 Vancouver Canucks of All-Time." (Somehow Todd Bertuzzi was no.2 on their list.)

I was so disappointed that I wasn't going to see the May Day highlights tonight.

Archived