Holy Frickin' Joe Benanati

X. Benedict

And the frozen disc slithers around the dasher boards and over the striped red line as the middle stanza winks to half a period less 30 ticks.

Bad Joe impression, but not far off! He's good, he just tries too hard, like Mike Emrick sometimes.

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/1367...icleWrapper.tpl

Wow. Our reward for support. <_<

Detroit, Anahiem, Pittsburgh X2, Boston, NJ, ....

not to be a pessimist, ya'll know I'm not. But couldn't this just be VS taking Detroit, Pittsburgh, NJ vs whoever so somebody watches?

At least we might get away games in HD. Any updates on announcers?

not to be a pessimist, ya'll know I'm not. But couldn't this just be VS taking Detroit, Pittsburgh, NJ vs whoever so somebody watches?

Is that really you in your avatar? Looks like Mike Weber tied you up in front of the net. He might even clear your crease for you.

And the frozen disc slithers around the dasher boards and over the striped red line as the middle stanza winks to half a period less 30 ticks.

Bad Joe impression, but not far off! He's good, he just tries too hard, like Mike Emrick sometimes.

A "good" bad impersonation, but I'll still take Joe over Emrick any day. Oh and you forgot "He throws a huge slapper at the cage!"

You forgot to mention what color sweaters each team is wearing... 472 times per period.

Joe is okay.. He's informed and calls the game. Whether you like his mannerisms and sayings or not, don't deny him that he calls a decent hockey game. The homestanding sweaters notwithstanding...

Buffalo usually guarantees an audience for national numbers.

Vs. actually has gotten quite a bit better.....but....

My Joe B impression:

"Lydmann lugs the puck up the ice, he dishes to Pominville, Rafalski says no, Hecht says not so fast, he passes to Tallinder at the point, low shot, Osgood says not this time, and an arm is in the air for a penalty, the transgressor?.......the team in Red. Buffalo will try to create something good when we come back on a dark cloudy windy evening here in Buffalo on Versus for a 2 minute chance at an equalizer."

Having lived in DC and watching him call Caps games for a few years, I have to say, I absolutely detest Joe Beninati. I cannot stand him at all. I especially hate how he calls the Penalty Box, the Penalty Bench. I also cannot stand John Forslund from the Hurricanes. He tends to call quite a few Versus games as well and it's so obvious how much he hates the Sabres when he calls their games. Beninati does not hate the Sabres, and may in fact like them, but I can't stand the way he calls the games. The color guy that he most frequently works with on Versus, Daren Eliot, I also don't particularly like either even though he was in the Sabres system at one point in time in his career. Eliot's the Thrashers guy, so I see him every now and then as well, and I don't particularly like him, but I do like the pbp guy, J.P. Dellacamera, who also happens to be the major soccer announcer for any major soccer game that is broadcast by the United States.

Is that really you in your avatar? Looks like Mike Weber tied you up in front of the net. He might even clear your crease for you.

sorry cheese. I must give credit where it is due. this was outstanding.

VS easily could have not put the Sabres on even once. "National" coverage is a good thing.

100% correct.

sorry cheese. I must give credit where it is due. this was outstanding.

Weber's not getting anywhere near my crease, now, Derek or Yolks :thumbsup: I'll bring the net :thumbsup:

I may have taken that too far. I feel lucky that any friend who speaks sports with me respects my opinion. I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate - don't hurt me but a serious-minded female fan in my opinion is either seen as one or another: a sexless devotee or a kind of spectacle. I can't explain or speak for most women, because what worries me further is that a female sports fan must speak in the tongue which is commonly accepted. What I really mean is that most writers who openly state their female status have to talk in a somewhat childish manner which will give away further that she is in love with only the aspect of being in love with the sport.

And let me belt out a cliche, it's okay to write what we feel - but never what we see. The former tends to be received better than the others.

But if you want to talk with an air of investigation, talk the actual core being of a sports team - slow down missy you're going too fast. We shouldn't be talking about prospects and the draft without people wondering whether we thought of it on our back with one of the players. If you personally see some talent in a player - it's got to be because you are attracted to him. And to be honest, females talking real hockey seems almost threatening in a sense. I don't mean it as in "oh no who's gonna make the sandwiches now!?" but rather a somewhat hostile response if you speak differently. No one will take heed of your argument really - even if they eat crow in the end.

Certain kinds of fans try to pretend that they are not prejudiced or misogynistic by attempting to speak objectively, but they're really merely hiding their ignorance until they can reveal it from an advantageous position. The truth with most of those fans is that they'll never take you seriously because of your whole gender. You can't critique a player's own skill (unless that's the common trend) without being overlooked or attacked with an abundance of misleading fallacies. You have too many attributes that make you emotional, unable to make rational decisions and as well you're a female. It's not absurd for women to not care about the other part of the team because they aren't attractive but it's a lot more absurd for male fans to blindly follow the player with the highest points or hype without looking at the overall gameplay (of course they play well, they have so many numbers!).

In short what I guess I want to say is that female fans can only be seen as a non-threatening bunch of girls who like to squeal and cheer and paint our faces. However female fans who argue and debate are often seen as a rare bunch but as well so rare that if someone under the guise of an actual serious fan emerges, they're a female and most female fans don't care about people not named Crosby, Ovie or Pyatt - so what's the harm in seeing your opinion as something irrelevant and inferior? If you make a sexual comment, it merely enforces that you're just a simple minded fan. I want to stamp my feet and get mad but apparently that's just taking things too far. So yeah, f you all who think being a female or acting like one is a vice and is mutually exclusive from actual sports debates.

Now, back to wheel of fortune.

I may have taken that too far. I feel lucky that any friend who speaks sports with me respects my opinion. I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate - don't hurt me but a serious-minded female fan in my opinion is either seen as one or another: a sexless devotee or a kind of spectacle. I can't explain or speak for most women, because what worries me further is that a female sports fan must speak in the tongue which is commonly accepted. What I really mean is that most writers who openly state their female status have to talk in a somewhat childish manner which will give away further that she is in love with only the aspect of being in love with the sport.

And let me belt out a cliche, it's okay to write what we feel - but never what we see. The former tends to be received better than the others.

But if you want to talk with an air of investigation, talk the actual core being of a sports team - slow down missy you're going too fast. We shouldn't be talking about prospects and the draft without people wondering whether we thought of it on our back with one of the players. If you personally see some talent in a player - it's got to be because you are attracted to him. And to be honest, females talking real hockey seems almost threatening in a sense. I don't mean it as in "oh no who's gonna make the sandwiches now!?" but rather a somewhat hostile response if you speak differently. No one will take heed of your argument really - even if they eat crow in the end.

Certain kinds of fans try to pretend that they are not prejudiced or misogynistic by attempting to speak objectively, but they're really merely hiding their ignorance until they can reveal it from an advantageous position. The truth with most of those fans is that they'll never take you seriously because of your whole gender. You can't critique a player's own skill (unless that's the common trend) without being overlooked or attacked with an abundance of misleading fallacies. You have too many attributes that make you emotional, unable to make rational decisions and as well you're a female. It's not absurd for women to not care about the other part of the team because they aren't attractive but it's a lot more absurd for male fans to blindly follow the player with the highest points or hype without looking at the overall gameplay (of course they play well, they have so many numbers!).

In short what I guess I want to say is that female fans can only be seen as a non-threatening bunch of girls who like to squeal and cheer and paint our faces. However female fans who argue and debate are often seen as a rare bunch but as well so rare that if someone under the guise of an actual serious fan emerges, they're a female and most female fans don't care about people not named Crosby, Ovie or Pyatt - so what's the harm in seeing your opinion as something irrelevant and inferior? If you make a sexual comment, it merely enforces that you're just a simple minded fan. I want to stamp my feet and get mad but apparently that's just taking things too far. So yeah, f you all who think being a female or acting like one is a vice and is mutually exclusive from actual sports debates.

Hey you're the one flaunting your sexuality here. Your gender shouldn't matter, but you make it an issue, you latent homosexual 52-year-old morbidly obese truck driver.

I have heard some pretty brutal "Play-by-play" guys on TV out West here. They call the game like there watching baseball. Talking about stuff sometimes not even hockey-related 30 seconds after the drop of the puck. It's so brutal, I can't stand to listen. But, sometimes, if it's on radio (XM) then I have no choice but to wait for them to start calling the game after their conversation. I want satellite TV on my cell phone so I can watch when I'm not at home like some of those Asian countries where there phones do everything including probably being a s** toy.

Hey you're the one flaunting your sexuality here. Your gender shouldn't matter, but you make it an issue, you latent homosexual 52-year-old morbidly obese truck driver.

So I can talk about how Weber loves you in his crease? Or how you will sufficiently fill the role of those weak men that are regularly shafted for being too immature, too potentially gay or simply unable to get it up?

FWIW I felt this thread crossed the line. I would venture to guess that most posters on here understand and respect your knowledge of the game, the team, the history, the players and the innate quality of being a Buffalo sports fan. It doesn't take long to figure out who knows the game and who doesn't. I for one do not work off the premise that 'cause your female you don't understand sports. What you infer above never would have occurred to me and I suspect a majority of posters here.

So I can talk about how Weber loves you in his crease? Or how you will sufficiently fill the role of those weak men that are regularly shafted for being too immature, too potentially gay or simply unable to get it up?

Wow, I'm glad we didn't get married. Talk about short honeymoons.

Archived