Holy Frickin' Joe Benanati

X. Benedict

FWIW I felt this thread crossed the line. I would venture to guess that most posters on here understand and respect your knowledge of the game, the team, the history, the players and the innate quality of being a Buffalo sports fan. It doesn't take long to figure out who knows the game and who doesn't. I for one do not work off the premise that 'cause your female you don't understand sports. What you infer above never would have occurred to me and I suspect a majority of posters here.

Good post. As a participant I apologize for crossing a line if anyone was offended. I agree with the rest, including spndchz's hockey insights and generally quality-hockey-fan-ness.

(Having said that, I got a bit cross-eyed during the 2nd or 3rd paragraph of the feminist fan diatribe. But I'm sure she does get patronized by guys who assume they know more than she does about the Sabres. But it was still pretty long.)

What were we talking about again?

I may have taken that too far. I feel lucky that any friend who speaks sports with me respects my opinion. I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate - don't hurt me but a serious-minded female fan in my opinion is either seen as one or another: a sexless devotee or a kind of spectacle. I can't explain or speak for most women, because what worries me further is that a female sports fan must speak in the tongue which is commonly accepted. What I really mean is that most writers who openly state their female status have to talk in a somewhat childish manner which will give away further that she is in love with only the aspect of being in love with the sport.

And let me belt out a cliche, it's okay to write what we feel - but never what we see. The former tends to be received better than the others.

But if you want to talk with an air of investigation, talk the actual core being of a sports team - slow down missy you're going too fast. We shouldn't be talking about prospects and the draft without people wondering whether we thought of it on our back with one of the players. If you personally see some talent in a player - it's got to be because you are attracted to him. And to be honest, females talking real hockey seems almost threatening in a sense. I don't mean it as in "oh no who's gonna make the sandwiches now!?" but rather a somewhat hostile response if you speak differently. No one will take heed of your argument really - even if they eat crow in the end.

Certain kinds of fans try to pretend that they are not prejudiced or misogynistic by attempting to speak objectively, but they're really merely hiding their ignorance until they can reveal it from an advantageous position. The truth with most of those fans is that they'll never take you seriously because of your whole gender. You can't critique a player's own skill (unless that's the common trend) without being overlooked or attacked with an abundance of misleading fallacies. You have too many attributes that make you emotional, unable to make rational decisions and as well you're a female. It's not absurd for women to not care about the other part of the team because they aren't attractive but it's a lot more absurd for male fans to blindly follow the player with the highest points or hype without looking at the overall gameplay (of course they play well, they have so many numbers!).

In short what I guess I want to say is that female fans can only be seen as a non-threatening bunch of girls who like to squeal and cheer and paint our faces. However female fans who argue and debate are often seen as a rare bunch but as well so rare that if someone under the guise of an actual serious fan emerges, they're a female and most female fans don't care about people not named Crosby, Ovie or Pyatt - so what's the harm in seeing your opinion as something irrelevant and inferior? If you make a sexual comment, it merely enforces that you're just a simple minded fan. I want to stamp my feet and get mad but apparently that's just taking things too far. So yeah, f you all who think being a female or acting like one is a vice and is mutually exclusive from actual sports debates.

Now, back to wheel of fortune.

Chicks...

Just kidding. What I've always found funny is the guys that complain the most about female announcers are same ones that never played the game either.

I may have taken that too far. I feel lucky that any friend who speaks sports with me respects my opinion. I'm going to play a little Devil's Advocate - don't hurt me but a serious-minded female fan in my opinion is either seen as one or another: a sexless devotee or a kind of spectacle. I can't explain or speak for most women, because what worries me further is that a female sports fan must speak in the tongue which is commonly accepted. What I really mean is that most writers who openly state their female status have to talk in a somewhat childish manner which will give away further that she is in love with only the aspect of being in love with the sport.

And let me belt out a cliche, it's okay to write what we feel - but never what we see. The former tends to be received better than the others.

But if you want to talk with an air of investigation, talk the actual core being of a sports team - slow down missy you're going too fast. We shouldn't be talking about prospects and the draft without people wondering whether we thought of it on our back with one of the players. If you personally see some talent in a player - it's got to be because you are attracted to him. And to be honest, females talking real hockey seems almost threatening in a sense. I don't mean it as in "oh no who's gonna make the sandwiches now!?" but rather a somewhat hostile response if you speak differently. No one will take heed of your argument really - even if they eat crow in the end.

Certain kinds of fans try to pretend that they are not prejudiced or misogynistic by attempting to speak objectively, but they're really merely hiding their ignorance until they can reveal it from an advantageous position. The truth with most of those fans is that they'll never take you seriously because of your whole gender. You can't critique a player's own skill (unless that's the common trend) without being overlooked or attacked with an abundance of misleading fallacies. You have too many attributes that make you emotional, unable to make rational decisions and as well you're a female. It's not absurd for women to not care about the other part of the team because they aren't attractive but it's a lot more absurd for male fans to blindly follow the player with the highest points or hype without looking at the overall gameplay (of course they play well, they have so many numbers!).

In short what I guess I want to say is that female fans can only be seen as a non-threatening bunch of girls who like to squeal and cheer and paint our faces. However female fans who argue and debate are often seen as a rare bunch but as well so rare that if someone under the guise of an actual serious fan emerges, they're a female and most female fans don't care about people not named Crosby, Ovie or Pyatt - so what's the harm in seeing your opinion as something irrelevant and inferior? If you make a sexual comment, it merely enforces that you're just a simple minded fan. I want to stamp my feet and get mad but apparently that's just taking things too far. So yeah, f you all who think being a female or acting like one is a vice and is mutually exclusive from actual sports debates.

Now, back to wheel of fortune.

:unsure: :unsure: Uh oh... :unsure: :unsure: Where's my sammich?

Just kidding. It's refreshing to see a female that knows their way around a hockey rink. My cousin is the same way, she loves the game, knows a lot about it, really fun to talk to about it. I think there is certainly room for normal sexual comments, because people know you can back it up with some good knowledge of the game.

Wow, I'm glad we didn't get married. Talk about short honeymoons.

Her article could be in the News. Where were you spndnchz when I was 21? I had to wait until mid 30's for someone close! I'm a newcomer here, but read your stuff and you are right up there with a dozen others that are informative and give a good opinion. I hope you stay with 'us'.

For some reason, I'm reminded of this scene from Spaceballs:

Pricess Vespa: (after shooting all spaceballs) How was that?

Lone Starr: Not bad.

Barf: Not bad ... for a girl.

Dot Matrix: Hey, that was pretty good for Rambo!

Spndnchz, you're not just a good fan for a girl, you're a good fan for Rambo! :thumbsup:

For some reason, I'm reminded of this scene from Spaceballs:

Pricess Vespa: (after shooting all spaceballs) How was that?

Lone Starr: Not bad.

Barf: Not bad ... for a girl.

Dot Matrix: Hey, that was pretty good for Rambo!

Spndnchz, you're not just a good fan for a girl, you're a good fan for Rambo! :thumbsup:

We should all use the Shwartz.

My Joe B impression:

"Lydmann lugs the puck up the ice, he dishes to Pominville, Rafalski says no, Hecht says not so fast, he passes to Tallinder at the point, low shot, Osgood says not this time, and an arm is in the air for a penalty, the transgressor?.......the team in Red. Buffalo will try to create something good when we come back on a dark cloudy windy evening here in Buffalo on Versus for a 2 minute chance at an equalizer."

You forgot the man power advantage.... or is that Emmerich that says that?

I think most male sports fans hope they will find a female who is an equal in terms of sports knowledge and passion for whatever sport they like. Nothing better then watching a game with that significant other. But when the male sports fans gets into a group situation full of other male sports fans then classic male behaviors come to the forefront and we all know how that turns out.

Buffalo usually guarantees an audience for national numbers.

Vs. actually has gotten quite a bit better.....but....

My Joe B impression:

"Lydmann lugs the puck up the ice, he dishes to Pominville, Rafalski says no, Hecht says not so fast, he passes to Tallinder at the point, low shot, Osgood says not this time, and an arm is in the air for a penalty, the transgressor?.......the team in Red. Buffalo will try to create something good when we come back on a dark cloudy windy evening here in Buffalo on Versus for a 2 minute chance at an equalizer."

Excellent! Hey, if we're doing impressions of the guy, how bad can he be? On a side note, I'm not sure I could do a "text" impression of Jeanneret, and I think that's to his credit. There isn't a lot of nonsense in his play by play, until a goal is scored. I've been PMing with a fellow poster about how much his goal calls have gone downhill since he started following a script, so to speak. I miss the guy who would go off the deep end after the Sabres scored, in unpredictable ways. I've always maintained the horn killed this radio star. He seems to draw out the "scooooore" part of the call, killing time until the infernal belch comes to an end. I curse the horn!

I've always maintained the horn killed this radio star. He seems to draw out the "scooooore" part of the call, killing time until the infernal belch comes to an end. I curse the horn!

Just like pumping in loud bad music when play stops killed most of the great chants the fans would do.

I think most male sports fans hope they will find a female who is an equal in terms of sports knowledge and passion for whatever sport they like. Nothing better then watching a game with that significant other. But when the male sports fans gets into a group situation full of other male sports fans then classic male behaviors come to the forefront and we all know how that turns out.

I second this sentiment...

and a comment to spndnchz:

If I may also add, the fact that others joke with you in a good natured way is a sign of acceptance, not condescension. With so little revealed about yourself - having an avatar like that invites people to comment. People comment on avatars all the time, not just yours. Since your avatar has a hot, naked girl tied up in something - then the discussion will go down the path of where such an image naturally leads. Likewise, if a male poster had a male avatar in some sort of provocative pose - I'm sure there would be comments about that. :chris:

Anyhow, don't take anything personally. Everyone enjoys having you here....

Buffalo usually guarantees an audience for national numbers.

Vs. actually has gotten quite a bit better.....but....

My Joe B impression:

LOL HAHAHAHAHHHA thats the funniest thing i've ever read in my life, i seriously laughed so loud, it's so true too.

Good stuff X. Benedict.

Archived