Return of Teppo...Now Done

frisky

I'd take Weber over Paetsch. Paetsch is quick but frequently gets caught pinching in too much. Weber's got the speed and a bit more skill and toughness in my book. I'd also take Teppo over either one, that's a given.

If we're talking as a member of the team's top-6, playing every night, then I agree. But if we're talking about playing 25-45 games in limited roles as the no.7 defenseman, then I want Weber down in Portland playing every night until he forces the Sabres' hand.

We have a pretty good idea of what Paetsch brings to the table, and he seems to be OK with playing sporadically. But right now it doesn't do us much good to have Weber practicing with the big club and spending the majority of his time in the press box. Weber would benefit much more by playing every night.

Count me in the skeptical category. I firmly believe he will retire and not play again. I think they should make him an emergency call in say February if the team suffers a rash of injuries to the D-stock. 40 years on a DMAN is a lot of mileage..

Count me in the skeptical category. I firmly believe he will retire and not play again. I think they should make him an emergency call in say February if the team suffers a rash of injuries to the D-stock. 40 years on a DMAN is a lot of mileage..

I think he'll be back, just not sure where. It seems he wants to be in Buffalo, but does Buffalo want him, or are they willing to pay for him? I can't see Teppo working so hard last season to play 16 minutes in Boston, and end it there.

You are right. My point was simply that I'd expect Pratt to turn down a 2-way contract offered in July to see whether he could get a 1-way deal later.

Excellent post. I would just add that there are quite a few very good defensemen in the NHL who are getting up there in years. Lidstrom is 37. Zubov is 36. Schneider is 38. Also, it's generally accepted wisdom in the NHL that defensemen take a while to develop, and that rushing them can set back their careers -- so Teppo being in the top 6 does NOT mean that Weber or Paetsche or Butler is a washout. It just means we aren't going to rush their development if we have a quality veteran filling the spot.

First off can we please remove Lidstrom form the conversation? It's embarrassing for Teppo. The other two are defense-men I would sign over Teppo in a heart beat.

I'd take Weber over Paetsch. Paetsch is quick but frequently gets caught pinching in too much. Weber's got the speed and a bit more skill and toughness in my book. I'd also take Teppo over either one, that's a given.

Weber doesn't have much speed, IMO. Which means he has to play smarter than somebody with natural recovery speed. Based on what we've seen so far, he can do that.

Weber doesn't have much speed, IMO. Which means he has to play smarter than somebody with natural recovery speed. Based on what we've seen so far, he can do that.

I think Weber has already proven he deserves a stint with the big club to start the season, based on what he showed down the stretch last year.

With the Numminen situation there are two huge issues:

1 - Money. What is a 40-year-old defensemen coming off of a year which he sat out due to open-heart surgery after failing a physical worth? $2.6? $2? The management has truly lost it if they pay him any more than $1.5 IMO. And even that is a lot to shell out for a big fat question mark.

2 - Is a progressing Weber better than an aging Numminen? I vote yes. We have Rivet now as the veteran presence on the blue line. We don't need Teppo. If they are so concerne with honoring him, just give him a scouting job or something. Oh wait, his name isn't Sony or Canon. Maybe he can add video cameras to his Montreal hockey company. :thumbsup:

I think Weber has already proven he deserves a stint with the big club to start the season, based on what he showed down the stretch last year.

1 - Money. What is a 40-year-old defensemen coming off of a year which he sat out due to open-heart surgery after failing a physical worth? $2.6? $2? The management has truly lost it if they pay him any more than $1.5 IMO. And even that is a lot to shell out for a big fat question mark.

2 - Is a progressing Weber better than an aging Numminen? I vote yes. We have Rivet now as the veteran presence on the blue line. We don't need Teppo. If they are so concerne with honoring him, just give him a scouting job or something. Oh wait, his name isn't Sony or Canon. Maybe he can add video cameras to his Montreal hockey company. :thumbsup:

It is far more important to get Weber the ice time. The guy was a +12 in 16 games. Why in the hell would you send him to the AHL? The kid loves to hit hit and that's a quality the Sabres need desperately. Rivet is a veteran presence. So is Tallinder, Lydman and Spacek. The Sabres top four are not young defensemen. They have all been part of long playoff runs and are all qualified to help the younger d-men during any possible ruff patches.

Sorry man, I got this far into your post and laughed so hard I couldn't read any more. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then clearly, you missed the next sentence where I say Teppo is not nearly as good as Lidstrom. In addition to your incredibly poor eye for hockey, I am now questioning your reading capabilities when you CLEARLY missed when I said that I don't think Teppo is nearly as good as Lidstrom. My point was, I was simply comparing their style of play. Teppo's style of play is similar to that of Lidstrom. Since all you care about are guys who can hit and cannot contribute a lick of offense, then clearly have zero respect for Lidstrom's style of game. By the way, going by your favorite statistic which apparently defines all players, Teppo has a +/- of +60 for his entire career. Seems to indicate he's pretty good in the defensive zone. That's okay, anytime I read ANY of your posts, I tend to laugh as to how incredibly ridiculous they are, and the fact that you have been an ardent defender of Darcy Regier and all of a sudden done a 180, I think is totally hilarious. Your previous posts prior to this offseason make you look like a total idiot for being such a defender of this front office. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is far more important to get Weber the ice time. The guy was a +12 in 16 games. Why in the hell would you send him to the AHL? The kid loves to hit hit and that's a quality the Sabres need desperately. Rivet is a veteran presence. So is Tallinder, Lydman and Spacek. The Sabres top four are not young defensemen. They have all been part of long playoff runs and are all qualified to help the younger d-men during any possible ruff patches.

This is why I like the idea of Sekera and Weber both staying up and Teppo playing the Jimmy Patrick role ... guys will get hurt and Teppo will play 60 games anyway, which is about right. The problem is Paetsch, what do they do with him? So I think they end up sending Weber down just because they can without anyone touching him.

This is why I like the idea of Sekera and Weber both staying up and Teppo playing the Jimmy Patrick role ... guys will get hurt and Teppo will play 60 games anyway, which is about right. The problem is Paetsch, what do they do with him? So I think they end up sending Weber down just because they can without anyone touching him.

I could give a rats ass about Paetsch. Let him go for all I care.

Well, I'm trying to deal in reality here, we know they are not going to just cut the guy ... and I bet there were some who said the same about Pominville when he cleared waivers in 2005 ...

Paetsch seemed to take a step back last year, I agree, but he played 59 agmes and was a plus 3... they year before he played 63 games and was a plus 10 ... he's not killing them when he is out there. He can still be a piece of the puzzle ... like Ray said, you need 8 ... but one of them has to be in the AHL and get called up when needed. Teppo (if it is him) is not going down. Pratt MAY sign a 2-way deal but ... doubtful. and Paetsch woudlhave to clear waivers. So that's why I say it's probably Weber who goes down to start.

I agree. I just don't think Paetsch is a quality defenseman.

Maybe not to the caliber that we need, but I still think he's decent. Besides, Lindy has played him at wing in the past, so he's versatile enough to not let go. Heck, why not slot him into wherever they'd put Max?

The problem is Paetsch, what do they do with him? So I think they end up sending Weber down just because they can without anyone touching him.
You need 8 NHL quality defensemen to survive in the NHL today. Injuries are just too common.
I agree. I just don't think Paetsch is a quality defenseman.
So that's why I say it's probably Weber who goes down to start.

The Sabres will paint themselves into this corner if they sign Teppo or another D man for that matter. This is why I was never in favor of signing Teppo. It moves Weber down the depth chart and Buffalo desperately needs a guy like Weber in the lineup. Paetsch should never be more than #7 as an emergency fill in.

The Sabres will paint themselves into this corner if they sign Teppo or another D man for that matter. This is why I was never in favor of signing Teppo. It moves Weber down the depth chart and Buffalo desperately needs a guy like Weber in the lineup. Paetsch should never be more than #7 as an emergency fill in.

Well, that last part may explain why they want Teppo ... the #7 guy ends up playing 60 games usually, and if they do not trust Paetsch to do it ... I wasn't advocating Weber down so much as saying it's what I think they will do ... but it won't be for long.

I'm not sure what I would do ... I think they will be better this season and make the playoffs, but I don't think they are pushing to win the whole thing ... so part of me says play Weber and Sekera as much as possible in the NHL and let them grow up. I know that doesn't necessarily fit with the "win now at all costs" mentality but ... I have to admit I liked what I saw from Weber and Sekera last season.

Well, I'm trying to deal in reality here, we know they are not going to just cut the guy ... and I bet there were some who said the same about Pominville when he cleared waivers in 2005 ...

Paetsch seemed to take a step back last year, I agree, but he played 59 agmes and was a plus 3... they year before he played 63 games and was a plus 10 ... he's not killing them when he is out there. He can still be a piece of the puzzle ... like Ray said, you need 8 ... but one of them has to be in the AHL and get called up when needed. Teppo (if it is him) is not going down. Pratt MAY sign a 2-way deal but ... doubtful. and Paetsch woudlhave to clear waivers. So that's why I say it's probably Weber who goes down to start.

I hope you are wrong. The Sabres need to get off to a great start and playing the best six defense-men is imperative. The Sabres should offer both Pratt and Teppo league minimum two way deals. If they accept then fine you have some depth. If not you are no worse for wear. I'm sure the Sabres can find journeymen blue liners just happy to land a job.

Well, that last part may explain why they want Teppo ... the #7 guy ends up playing 60 games usually, and if they do not trust Paetsch to do it ... I wasn't advocating Weber down so much as saying it's what I think they will do ... but it won't be for long.

I'm not sure what I would do ... I think they will be better this season and make the playoffs, but I don't think they are pushing to win the whole thing ... so part of me says play Weber and Sekera as much as possible in the NHL and let them grow up. I know that doesn't necessarily fit with the "win now at all costs" mentality but ... I have to admit I liked what I saw from Weber and Sekera last season.

Me too. At least the last 15 games or so.

Guest Sloth

Hypothetically speaking, where do you think the Sabres would've finished the regular season if Weber and Sekera played the entire 07/08 season?

I agree Wber is a good player, but he is the future, imo. I agree that we shouldn't throw too much money at Teppo. I hope they do an incentive based salary structure. He very well may hit the wall in February and be useless. Who knows.

As to Weber vs. Teppo? Well, if Teppo is back to form, I'll take him. Nothing against Weber but Teppo is a well above average guy and brings a lot to the team. Not just leadership, but ability. Like I said before, he is just an excellent skater.

Hypothetically speaking, where do you think the Sabres would've finished the regular season if Weber and Sekera played the entire 07/08 season?

If they play up to their potential with Weber being the stay at home physical force and Sekera becoming a regular part of the power play I would say the Sabres would be battling for the 4th - 5th spot. Of course that is if the top four are all healthy and playing well. The Sabres can not afford any long term injuries to the blue line this season. Paescth or whoever is the #7 will hopefully be spotted here and there to give players rest.

If they play up to their potential with Weber being the stay at home physical force and Sekera becoming a regular part of the power play I would say the Sabres would be battling for the 4th - 5th spot. Of course that is if the top four are all healthy and playing well. The Sabres can not afford any long term injuries to the blue line this season. Paescth or whoever is the #7 will hopefully be spotted here and there to give players rest.

If the Sabres are battling for home ice in the playoffs this coming year, it will be because Lydman and Tallinder have rediscovered their game and the forwards showed a renewed commitment to defense. Sekera and Weber may be a big part of the future but expecting them to be major contributors this season is a reach. History is full of players that showed some potential at the tail end of the regular season never to be heard from again.

In fairness there were a lot of Sabres (and blueliners in particular) who had a bad year last year.

The rest of your post I agree with. He's not going to be a top-4 guy, but he does give you decent play from a no.7 defenseman who gets 13-15 minutes a game.

Archived