Paille agrees to multi-year deal

BetweenThePipes00

I think I had predicted $1.25 million as the cap hit, so I came in just a little short by about $125K. I think it's a good deal for both parties. I'm not sure Paille has done enough at the NHL level to justify more money than this, and it's still short enough to wear the Sabres have him locked in for one more RFA deal (as I believe it expires before he turns 27), and gives him the opportunity to outperform the contract over the next two years and cash in nicely on his next contract. I'm glad he's back and it's a good deal for the Sabres as well.

I think I had predicted $1.25 million as the cap hit, so I came in just a little short by about $125K. I think it's a good deal for both parties. I'm not sure Paille has done enough at the NHL level to justify more money than this, and it's still short enough to wear the Sabres have him locked in for one more RFA deal (as I believe it expires before he turns 27), and gives him the opportunity to outperform the contract over the next two years and cash in nicely on his next contract. I'm glad he's back and it's a good deal for the Sabres as well.

Agreed.

carp, come on. love the avatar, but "actually working on stuff behind the scenes"? Why do so many people assume that DR and his staff sit around and eat chips on worn La-Z-Boy recliners (the kind with the levers)? These guys are some of the hardest working guys in the game. I just don't understand the constant belittling of their abilities and efforts in this forum.

See, like the rest of us, you need to waste much more of your life and valuable free time here. Then, you'd know that probably 900 of my 1000 posts are in support of the FO. 42 posts!? Hah!!

Just kidding! :thumbsup: (about the spending time here part, not the 90% of posts being in support of the FO) ... like I was in that post. I admit that seeing nothing on tsc.ca or nhl.com gets frustrating, but I know that they are really working hard behind the seen.

???

Bernier is under contract with Vancouver for $2.5 million. St. Louis gave him an offer sheet and Vancouver matched.

Just badly worded. DD will tell you I am standing by my wager. I was just pointing out that if Bernier hadn't gotten the offer, I would have won, or more likely, it would have been a push.

Just badly worded. DD will tell you I am standing by my wager. I was just pointing out that if Bernier hadn't gotten the offer, I would have won, or more likely, it would have been a push.

Webster, are those two puckgirls from Philly? Can't tell. As much as I hate the Fly-boys, they do have some serious talent on the ice during tv timeouts.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243553&lid...=headlines_main

So much for Paille getting huge money. If Bernier doesn't get ridiculous offer sheet, I win my bet.

If a lot of things didn't happen in life, our reality would be quite a bit different. Here's a look at the last time something didn't go as planned while involving the French.

Looking at the map, no wonder the Sabres are so used to surrendering. It's in their blood.

Ah yes, I see it now. You meant it like "if it weren't for Bernier receiving that big offer sheet that he got, then I would have won."

Carry on. Nothing to see here. :ph34r:

Nice Carp!

It's interesting to see personalities come out in certain situations. I pretty much bet for a living, so I am used to losing and moving on. Part of life. I guess my counter to Webster and Shrader would be that Paille came out in the media and said he was only going to negotiate with Buffalo. By doing so he showed insecurity and limited his potenial earnings from other suitors. If he had shut up and pressed his agent to find a better deal, it was quite possible he could have received close to $2 million a year from someone else. Since he made it clear that he only wanted to work with the Sabres, many teams probably scratched him off their boards and looked elsewhere.

It is what it is. That's why there is a bet.

We'll call it an even $90 victory. Tom, if you don't want to receive mail + etc. from the place, you could always send it to me instead. I don't think it should be a problem.

Now, I'm willing to bet Bernier scores 25 goals. I'd bet another $10 on every goal +/- 25. I'd want a disclaimer that he has to play at least 40 games. Anything less and there is a $100 limit.

I , honestly don't remember. I will try and look it up but my first reaction is that they are from Atlanta.

I can't tell because the avatar picture is so small, but they look like a couple of the girls from the Blue Jackets' Mountain Dew Ice Crew from a couple seasons ago:

post-327-1216258964_thumbjpg

Sorry for the hi-jack. Carry on with the bet discussion.

As a typical conservative, you missed the actual thinking part of my post. I know Faux News can be distracting.

Um, ok? :blink:

Sorry, but your post that I referenced didn't appear to require any sort of deep thought. After all, this is hockey, not the Bristol University School of Football with Dean Berman in charge.

My point was that everyone is suffering from fear anxiety (all Sabres players are leaving, etc.), a tactic used by conservatives, to sway the stupid masses to follow their stupidity.

I think I saw a terrorist on the train today so I went out and bought a new flat screen.

I don't wan't them to think they have won.

I think I saw a terrorist on the train today so I went out and bought a new flat screen.

The terrorist "won" back in 2004 when they scared this country into re-electing that idiot.

(stepping down from soap box)

My point was that everyone is suffering from fear anxiety (all Sabres players are leaving, etc.), a tactic used by conservatives, to sway the stupid masses to follow their stupidity.

I wasn't even trying to get political. Left and Right isn't reserved just for politics.

But since you mentioned "stupidity," let me congratulate you for being the proverbial "pot calling the kettle black."

A friend of mine from Hawaii was commenting yesterday about all the annoying things the tourists do out there. It sounded like she said terrorists though. That was one entertaining conversation for me.

A 2 year deal. Now there's committment for you. The Sabres are nothing more then a player developmental team for the real National Hockey League. Ryan Miller will most likely sign a 3 year deal so he can continue developing into an elite goalie who will command elite money in his late 20's. Pominville will be offered a 3 or 4 year deal at best, and it is a crap shoot as to whether he will take it or see if a real NHL team may offer him his 7 year deal as soon as next summer. Neither player will be offered more then a 4 year deal at less then real NHL market value.

A 2 year deal. Now there's committment for you. The Sabres are nothing more then a player developmental team for the real National Hockey League. Ryan Miller will most likely sign a 3 year deal so he can continue developing into an elite goalie who will command elite money in his late 20's. Pominville will be offered a 3 or 4 year deal at best, and it is a crap shoot as to whether he will take it or see if a real NHL team may offer him his 7 year deal as soon as next summer. Neither player will be offered more then a 4 year deal at less then real NHL market value.

Just to clarify - Ryan is in his late 20's now, so a 3-year deal would take him into his early 30's.

I'm sure PA will be along soon enough to cry to the heavens about how I am calling him a young goalie or making excuses for him with this post.

Welcome to the board.

However, I'm not sure your point is all that accurate or factually correct. Of the three players you named - Miller, Pominville, and Paille, of those three only Miller heads into the 2009 season as a unrestricted free agent. Paille was a restricted free agent this past season, and Pominville will again be a restricted free agent next offseason, meaning that if the Sabres do not sign Pominville to an extension during the season, they still retain his rights and can match any offer sheet or take him to arbitration thereby preventing him from negotiating with any other team. With regard to Paille, there is a strategy for both him and the Sabres in a short 2 year deal. First, he has done nothing to warrant a long term deal from the Sabres at any more money than he has signed for. Second, by giving him a two year deal, the Sabres get exclusive negotiating rights with him when he's up for his next contract because he will again be a restricted free agent. If he outperforms the contract he just signed, the Sabres get to keep his rights and match any offer sheet or take him to arbitration. By doing this, the Sabres are then able to keep him under contract for his next contract and if he's really good can buy out a few of his unrestricted free agent years for a deal that is below market value, similar to what the Sabres did with Derek Roy last offseason.

If you want to complain about the Sabres not actively playing in the UFA market, I think you have a very valid complaint. However, if you are complaining about the fact that Paille only signed for two years and that the Sabres will underpay for Pominville, I'm not sure you have a valid point as both of those guys will be restricted free agents when their current contracts expire. As for Miller, I think the jury is still out and if the Sabres sign him to a long term deal i.e. 5+ years, I don't really think you have much to complain about either. We'll see what happens with Miller. Again, welcome to the board.

Archived