Why the Sabres shouldn't overpay

Eleven

Why they shouldn't overpay....once again, going into the 2008-09 season, we can have the following players under contract:

Briere $5 million

Drury $4.5 million

Campbell $5 million

Dumont $2.5 million

$17 million total would have landed these 4 guys.

Next year they will now be making a total of $26 million....but $17 was out of line.

GM sold a crap load of cars this weekend because of 0% financing for 6 years. Maybe Darcy can go back and take an accounting class to figure out the time value of money.

Why they shouldn't overpay....once again, going into the 2008-09 season, we can have the following players under contract:

Briere $5 million

Drury $4.5 million

Campbell $5 million

Dumont $2.5 million

$17 million total would have landed these 4 guys.

Next year they will now be making a total of $26 million....but $17 was out of line.

GM sold a crap load of cars this weekend because of 0% financing for 6 years. Maybe Darcy can go back and take an accounting class to figure out the time value of money.

I hear what you are saying... That group fell short of the overall goal... And I don't think it was a matter of adding a few more pieces to that group of core players.

The fact of the matter is... They just didn't want them as their core players, even at the lower price.

When you fall short, one is always building for something better... Well, I hope!

I hear what you are saying... That group fell short of the overall goal... And I don't think it was a matter of adding a few more pieces to that group of core players.

The fact of the matter is... They just didn't want them as their core players, even at the lower price.When you fall short, one is always building for something better... Well, I hope!

I will take that a step further..First off I disagree , I think that they misvalued what those players were worth and what they would get via freeagency and lost out on them all except for Dumont who they chose to make a freeagent. Second if they didnt want want them why the pressconference and the admitted mistake of not signing Drury to an extension earlier? They made big mistakes their plan if they had one was flawed and mismanaged and the Sabres that were left were shellshocked and played like it last year..The only good FO moves last yr were the signing of Roy and the trading of Campbell.

I heard Pittsburgh is offering Orpik 6 years, worth $22 million. If we don't give him a deal that is better then that, i will really start to wonder if this management truly wants to win the cup?

Darcy said yesterday that we aren't pursuing Orpik. Let it go.

I will take that a step further..First off I disagree , I think that they misvalued what those players were worth and what they would get via freeagency and lost out on them all except for Dumont who they chose to make a freeagent. Second if they didnt want want them why the pressconference and the admitted mistake of not signing Drury to an extension earlier? They made big mistakes their plan if they had one was flawed and mismanaged and the Sabres that were left were shellshocked and played like it last year..The only good FO moves last yr were the signing of Roy and the trading of Campbell.

PR... It is because the players were so popular with the fans. They (mgmt) played the Sonny Bono role...

Come on, they aren't that dumb... They were just indifferent to change... Players come and go, try telling that to the fans.

I kinda agree with that mentality and sports, especially hockey where you can find undervalued players that turn out to work wonders...

I agree with that indifferenc and the "The door swings both ways... And don't let it hit you in the ass" Approach. It is just the fans get way too emotional over this stuff especially in hockey where IMO, "talent" is not the be all and end all to winning vs. other stuff like heart, coaching, and other intangibles...

Don't shoot me!

Darcy said yesterday that we aren't pursuing Orpik. Let it go.

Are the Sabres pursuing anyone? I am starting to doubt it. I really have no reason to believe they are. I agree with the initial sentiment of the thread. The Sabres shouldn't over pay for a player. They also shouldn't sit around and wait for all the other teams to improve themselves then sign the remaining dregs like they did with Lalime.

Are the Sabres pursuing anyone? I am starting to doubt it. I really have no reason to believe they are. I agree with the initial sentiment of the thread. The Sabres shouldn't over pay for a player. They also shouldn't sit around and wait for all the other teams to improve themselves then sign the remaining dregs like they did with Lalime.

I'm beginning to doubt it. I haven't lost hope yet, but I wont be sitting around checking TSN all day like yesterday. If they make a decent move I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Here's the Detroit team from last year--the one that won the Cup. THREE guys had cap hits of $6M or more. The rest of the team? Balanced salaries for mostly homegrown guys:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?tea...amp;season=0708

Ties in well with the earlier post about the Oakland A's and "moneyball."

You can compare salaries, but you cannot compare caliber of hockey players on the Sabres roster and the Red Wings roster. To be in the same league, the Sabres need to make an acquisition or two. That is where I have the the problem. The FO tells us they want to get better, but they do not want to overpay to acquire a player. At the end of the day, they did not get their player, and so they are no better than they were, which is #10 in the Conference.

the big difference between Detroit and Buffalo, Detroit probably has one of the best scouting departments in the NHL, and are proactive in re-signing their own players and don't have a problem bringing in a Vet or 2 to win now (like bringing back Osgood and Hasek). Buffalo takes a wait and see approach to most contracts, and stays away from adding many veteran players, and are always looking toward the future.

It seems like Buffalos FO is too affraid of getting burned or not getting the upper hand in a deal so they wait to let the market dictate what the players worth and that usually prices them out of Buffalo. I almost want to say that they are always trying to show the league that they are smarter then the rest by getting "steals". Looking back on what some of the FA's that left have received on the open market, compared to what they asked the team for in the year leading up to their FA, they could have looked alot smarter and had some deals like Detroit has if they would have acted early. What Buffalo could have payed Drury and Briere a year before they became FA's, would have been what most 2nd/3rd liners have been getting in FA this year

Agreed. I don't think many people want to see us throwing around money like drunken sailors on shore leave, but the bargain-bin shopping is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and is very disappointing.

I'm trying to hold out hope that we'll see a couple trades later this summer, but the more I think of it the more I believe our roster is going to be eerily similar to last season's...

Why is there even a hint of surprise or disappointment? Darcy has made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to be one of "those teams" that try and improve themselves on July 1. He said as much at this time last year.

The previous advice applies. Let it go.

Why anyone expected "frenzy" is beyond me.

With the amount of ice time that they're promising a backup goalie, would you expect any player other than a "dreg" to sign with the Sabres?

At the end of the first day, they did not get their player

Fixed. There's still time. If they don't do anything during that time, I'll join you in a FO burning, but I'm not going to jump the gun after one day, especially when they said up front that their moves probably wouldn't come day one.

With the amount of ice time that they're promising a backup goalie, would you expect any player other than a "dreg" to sign with the Sabres?

20-25 games is a fair amount of games for a backup goalie (20-25 is what lalime said yesterday was the amount of games he wanted to sign somewhere)

20-25 games is a fair amount of games for a backup goalie (20-25 is what lalime said yesterday was the amount of games he wanted to sign somewhere)

Yes, but that is still not enough games for a goalie who is looking for the opportunity to compete for the starter's job. This took the Sabres out of the running for any of the "elite" goaltenders on the FA market.

As much as I wanted Auld, he was probably looking at the goalie situation in Ottawa -- an inconsistent starter who has lost his starting role for two different teams (not permanently to Emery, but for a time) -- and probably figured he had a legitimate shot at unseating Gerber.

Yes, but that is still not enough games for a goalie who is looking for the opportunity to compete for the starter's job. This took the Sabres out of the running for any of the "elite" goaltenders on the FA market.

What "elite " goalie did you want and how many would sign to be a back up?

What "elite " goalie did you want and how many would sign to be a back up?

My original reponse was to the idea that the Sabres wound up with Lalime because they sat around while the better FA goalies were snapped up by other teams. My point was that they wound up with Lalime because he was willing to play the backup role that the Sabres were seeking, not because the Sabres were late to the game.

That's why I'm okay with the signing.

To be honest. If I were a backup goalie I would love to play for the Sabres. There's better than a 50/50 chance the Sabres will be without a starter after next season.

To be honest. If I were a backup goalie I would love to play for the Sabres. There's better than a 50/50 chance the Sabres will be without a starter after next season.

As opposed to a better than 50/50 chance that you could start in Ottawa, Tampa, Washington, Chicago, and Colorado this season? Not to mention being the 1B guy in Detroit (40 starts).

I guess we'll see if last year was a fluke with Conks

I don't see why he won't he a good year there. His play has improved a lot over the last couple years (must have been all that work with Jim Corsi <_<) and with Detroit playing the LW lock they have surrendered the fewest SOG against and has been a top-2 in fewest GA for the last two years.

Conks is skating into a very good situation.

Archived