No More Hockey Night in Canada theme song?

Bmwolf21

LINK

The head of CBC-TV Sports says the broadcaster is working with a deadline of tomorrow at 5 p.m. to reach an agreement over the Hockey Night in Canada theme, but that the CBC already has a plan to develop a replacement to the famous jingle.

Scott Moore says the public broadcaster is prepared to dump the song over a lapsed licensing agreement and open up a national contest in which Canadians will be invited to make submissions for a replacement.

CBC - get it done. Keep the theme.

LINK

The head of CBC-TV Sports says the broadcaster is working with a deadline of tomorrow at 5 p.m. to reach an agreement over the Hockey Night in Canada theme, but that the CBC already has a plan to develop a replacement to the famous jingle.

Scott Moore says the public broadcaster is prepared to dump the song over a lapsed licensing agreement and open up a national contest in which Canadians will be invited to make submissions for a replacement.

This reminds me of the time I ate chicken without chiavetta's. It's just not the same.

LINK

The CBC shouldn't have dragged it's feet on this one. They could have kept the Theme if last year, they would have only offered it 25mil for 5 years. Now the Theme is probably going to get 7mil a year somewhere else. Why does the CBC have such trouble signing their big number Themes. I bet the way the CBC handled this is going to make other Themes not want to come here.

I miss Tom.

nice take, swamp - that joke still has some mileage left on it.

when i read the news report, though, it did sound as though cbc had bumbled the renewal of a licensing deal. i also read that they were paying just $500 per game to use the song.

huh? this is the same cbc that pays something like $100MM annually for the right to broadcast the nhl on saturdays? it doesn't seem to add up.

this snafu also reminds me a little of when they couldn't come to terms with ron maclean (5 years ago?) - i think they actually went on the air without maclean - then there was a great uproar, and the network had to go back with their tails between their legs and give old ronny what he wanted. i think something similar happens here.

nice take, swamp - that joke still has some mileage left on it.

when i read the news report, though, it did sound as though cbc had bumbled the renewal of a licensing deal. i also read that they were paying just $500 per game to use the song.

huh? this is the same cbc that pays something like $100MM annually for the right to broadcast the nhl on saturdays? it doesn't seem to add up.

this snafu also reminds me a little of when they couldn't come to terms with ron maclean (5 years ago?) - i think they actually went on the air without maclean - then there was a great uproar, and the network had to go back with their tails between their legs and give old ronny what he wanted. i think something similar happens here.

I definitely think they will eventually have to go back to it. But to tell you the truth it could use some updating IMO. It sounds a little too much like the old SCTV theme from the 70's to me.

The CBC shouldn't have dragged it's feet on this one. They could have kept the Theme if last year, they would have only offered it 25mil for 5 years. Now the Theme is probably going to get 7mil a year somewhere else. Why does the CBC have such trouble signing their big number Themes. I bet the way the CBC handled this is going to make other Themes not want to come here.

I miss Tom.

You have to lock up your Theme Songs before they become free agents.

Apparently the Red Greene show and Trailer Park Boys are going to put in impressive offers.

I don't expect MSG to bid on the Theme Song.

Usually they haven't been much of a player in the Theme Song Market.

They are willing to go under-market and mix Sabre Dance - public domain, with a Scorpions song.

Don't expect them to pay the the AS-CAP.

You have to lock up your Theme Songs before they become free agents.

Apparently the Red Greene show and Trailer Park Boys are going to put in impressive offers.

I don't expect MSG to bid on the Theme Song.

Usually they haven't been much of a player in the Theme Song Market.

They are willing to go under-market and mix Sabre Dance - public domain, with a Scorpions song.

Don't expect them to pay the the AS-CAP.

Not sure if it's AS-CAP or BMI. Might even be SESAC. Shrader would be better to fill us in on that one. :lol:

The $500 apparently is not the issue. The issue is that the CBC wants Claman to drop a $2.5 million lawsuit she launched four years ago charging the mother corp. with breach of copyright and breach of contract, mostly involving said ringtones.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/438347

For those who wonder what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kERvuPMhTA...feature=related

The $500 apparently is not the issue. The issue is that the CBC wants Claman to drop a $2.5 million lawsuit she launched four years ago charging the mother corp. with breach of copyright and breach of contract, mostly involving said ringtones.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/438347

For those who wonder what it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kERvuPMhTA...feature=related

Still like this one better.

Sabres need a new theme song...Hurricane 2000 reminds me too much of the 06-07 season and it should be left there and associated with that terrific team. It's going to be a new year and hopefully a new and better result than the last one, so a new song is in order.

They also need to drop the "Shipping up to Boston" every time we get a powerplay...honestly can we just choose songs that don't include other cities (Boston) or team names (Hurricanes)?

"The CBC is set to launch a song-writing contest open to all Canadians in hopes of finding a new theme song for Hockey Night In Canada, the head of CBC Sports said"

Dear head of CBC Sports. "QUIT MESSING WITH SONG YOU IDIOT!!" Its called tradition and I love that song, even though I'm an American. I grew up with that!

I was looking for the sax version of the HNiC theme song that I mentioned earlier and found this on youtube...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe this is the version that they played on the broadcasts sometime in the past 5 years or so.

Deal No deal to save the Hockey Night in Canada theme song.

HNIC Update: The song deal's dead

Looks like negotiations to keep the famous Hockey Night in Canada theme song on CBC have fallen through. This has become front-page news across Canada, as Saturday's story in the Toronto Star shows.

Click Here to read the rest

I was looking for the sax version of the HNiC theme song that I mentioned earlier and found this on youtube...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe this is the version that they played on the broadcasts sometime in the past 5 years or so.

Confession: I've never seen HNIC and I've never heard the theme song. But upon watching that youtube video, I recognized the theme as one that (also?) belongs to an old TV show. What was the show?

Confession: I've never seen HNIC and I've never heard the theme song.

Wow. Just wow. Sorry about that.

That song/tune is so deeply engrained in my consciousness that, in certain instances, when I hear it, I can actually smell the heavily garlic-ed and oregano-ed pizzas that my oldest brother used to make for the whole fam-damily on Saturday nights in the winter, oh, some ## years ago.

<There's no emoticon for that warm swell of nostalgia that you get in those situations.>

No fear CTV is here. Or heard, the public outcry and stepped up:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/200...09/5822741.html

If you're the CBC: Fuggin' OW.

The CBC definitely screwed up on this song matter, but they are also a publicly run company. They should have gotten something worked out but now the song is CTV's and they own it outright. So now TSN will get to have the famous song play on all their broadcasts.

Apparently the CBC has a big opportunity to save face with hockey fans. The Stompin Tom Connors song " The Hockey Song" or as it's better known "The Good Old Hockey Game" is said to be available to be licensed by the family to CBC.

If they are smart the CBC will get this song under license and continue having a Canadian song with great tradition.

The CBC definitely screwed up on this song matter, but they are also a publicly run company. They should have gotten something worked out but now the song is CTV's and they own it outright. So now TSN will get to have the famous song play on all their broadcasts.

Apparently the CBC has a big opportunity to save face with hockey fans. The Stompin Tom Connors song " The Hockey Song" or as it's better known "The Good Old Hockey Game" is said to be available to be licensed by the family to CBC.

If they are smart the CBC will get this song under license and continue having a Canadian song with great tradition.

I love the "Good old hockey game" song, but need more of a crescendo induced song to get pumped up. The good old hockey game is more a swinging the beer mug swaying back and forth tune.

I love the "Good old hockey game" song, but need more of a crescendo induced song to get pumped up. The good old hockey game is more a swinging the beer mug swaying back and forth tune.

We'll disagree on this song. They played this at the arena for awhile and I wanted to jump off the nearest bridge every time I heard it.

Archived