OT - Doe!

rbochan

A deer... A female deer...

...Just gave birth to 2 fawns in my back yard about 30 minutes ago. It's the same one thats been visiting my vegetable garden here the last couple of weeks. They're already up and walking about. I'm going to have to go out there and open the gate, because I don't think the little ones can make it over the six foot fence.

Weird in a suburban upstate NY back yard!

I wish my camera hadn't gotten fubar'd over the holiday weekend, or I'd have a ton of pics.

They little ones (Re and Mi) are frolicking all over. Mom's already into the tomatoes.

Isn't this when the hunter comes along and shoots their mom? (I know, I know it's not deer season hunters)

I wish my camera hadn't gotten fubar'd over the holiday weekend, or I'd have a ton of pics.

They little ones (Re and Mi) are frolicking all over. Mom's already into the tomatoes.

I get it- Doe Re - MI. LOL

They can frolick but can they:

Be bought by Balsillie?

Work for a bag of pucks?

score with 4 seconds to go?

sign for less than 5 for 25?

not break an award?

write like Bucky?

shake Brodeurs hand?

arg Portland :chris: arg

I get it- Doe Re - MI. LOL

They can frolick but can they:

Be bought by Balsillie?

Work for a bag of pucks?

score with 4 seconds to go?

sign for less than 5 for 25?

not break an award?

write like Bucky?

shake Brodeurs hand?

arg Portland :chris: arg

I'd take a bag of pucks for the tomato plants :o/

I'd take a bag of pucks for the tomato plants :o/

I've noticed that more and more this year. Going shopping for plants and flowers and seeing "deer won't eat" stickers on things.

I'd be careful, my friend had a deer jump through their porch door once. I guess they see their reflection and attack. Luckily it broke the glass, ran around the dining room table and went right back outside. I wish THEY had video.

I've noticed that more and more this year. Going shopping for plants and flowers and seeing "deer won't eat" stickers on things.

I'd be careful, my friend had a deer jump through their porch door once. I guess they see their reflection and attack. Luckily it broke the glass, ran around the dining room table and went right back outside. I wish THEY had video.

I remember back when I was in highschool at Lancaster, we had a crazy deer running around the outside of the school. It kept running into windows and fences and was bleeding out of its face. Then a cop shot it in the head and drove away. I think I still have pictures some where. That was a fun day at school.

What a crazy day.

I woke up this morning with no work today, which always sucks, but then I looked outside and saw Doe doing what she was doing, fired up the coffee-maker, and then her babies appeared... just like that... like it was nothing. It was a glorious morning watching them come to life.

I ended up having to work this afternoon. Doe, Re, and Mi were all gone by the time I got back. I spent the rest of the day planting more for my garden and working my ass off digging, tilling, and thinking about the morning. There was great growth today.

Now its just about time to watch some hockey.

What a kick-ass Wednesday.

I couldn't ask for a better day.

I remember back when I was in highschool at Lancaster, we had a crazy deer running around the outside of the school. It kept running into windows and fences and was bleeding out of its face. Then a cop shot it in the head and drove away. I think I still have pictures some where. That was a fun day at school.

Yeah, had the same thing happen with a Racoon here. It was all walking stupid and a cop came up and popped it.

Doe, Re, and Mi have scampered off to wherever it is deer go around here. They left me 2 of my 14 tomato plants :o/

One year, I had close to 40 tomato plants, after the deer got through with them I ended up with EIGHT tomatos. :censored: Needless to say, I installed a fence the next spring.

@#%# vermin w/ antlers.

One year, I had close to 40 tomato plants, after the deer got through with them I ended up with EIGHT tomatos. :censored: Needless to say, I installed a fence the next spring.

@#%# vermin w/ antlers.

40? That sounds like my wife's ideal garden. She had 35 one year, and we ended up canning a good portion of the yield.

40? That sounds like my wife's ideal garden. She had 35 one year, and we ended up canning a good portion of the yield.

Yeah 40, we underestimated how many seeds we'd actually be able to start indoors and harden off, so we ended up with about twice as many plants as targeted. We usually have about 15-20 plants with all the cherry tomatos being eaten right off the vine and the romas going into sauces. The rest usually find themselves in sandwiches or salted and then eaten like apples.

20 hot pepper plants is standard as well. The rest of the garden tends to be chosen at random.

Yeah 40, we underestimated how many seeds we'd actually be able to start indoors and harden off, so we ended up with about twice as many plants as targeted. We usually have about 15-20 plants with all the cherry tomatos being eaten right off the vine and the romas going into sauces. The rest usually find themselves in sandwiches or salted and then eaten like apples.

20 hot pepper plants is standard as well. The rest of the garden tends to be chosen at random.

That's the way I tend to do it too. Aside from the raspberry patch, I normally have 500 square feet tilled. I've been adding another strip of about 300 square feet this year, a little at a time when I have the time. Filled a 12 cubic foot freezer last fall with all the goodies.

Ain't nothing like a sammich from a tomater still warm from the sun!

That's the way I tend to do it too. Aside from the raspberry patch, I normally have 500 square feet tilled. I've been adding another strip of about 300 square feet this year, a little at a time when I have the time. Filled a 12 cubic foot freezer last fall with all the goodies.

Ain't nothing like a sammich from a tomater still warm from the sun!

Agreed on the "sammich".

We've got about 1,200 ft^2 tilled. I keep telling myself I'll add another 400 ft^2 each year and never get around to it.

I've been slow at getting started this year as well. Tomatos and peppers are getting hardened and peas and onions are in the ground. Hopefully this weekend I'll get the rest going (carrots, radishes, lettuce, corn, various melons, cukes, and pumpkins). Surprisingly my corn did (relatively) well last year, so I'll give it one more shot. Everything, but the lettuce and melons, did well last year. Once I found the spots where the rabbits were sneaking under/through the fence (a spot where a yearling crashed into the fence and I THOUGHT I had repaired properly :censored: ) the lettuce did well also. I've got a sunnier spot picked out for the melons this year, so they should do better as well.

If you've got deer, you definitely need either a fence or a shotgun (or my preference - both). :chris:

Speaking of animals, I spent the holiday weekend hand feeding kittens my neighbors found in the park by my house. They are currently at the SPCA and will be available in a few weeks. They were only a couple of weeks old and needed to be put in foster care.

post-46-1212159030_thumbjpg

Speaking of animals, I spent the holiday weekend hand feeding kittens my neighbors found in the park by my house. They are currently at the SPCA and will be available in a few weeks. They were only a couple of weeks old and needed to be put in foster care.

How could you not keep one?

Archived