Bucky Ecklund is at it again...

slapshot1619

Gaborik: Several trade rumours are popping up about the oft-injured, fastest player in all of hockey. It is no secret that Gabs may indeed need a change of scenery, and two teams that I am hearing are interested are the NY Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. The Rangers have a ton of cap space, but also need a ton of players...The Sabres are going to be "Very agressive this summer" according to top sources.

Translation... They aren't doing squat...

Gaborik: Several trade rumours are popping up about the oft-injured, fastest player in all of hockey. It is no secret that Gabs may indeed need a change of scenery, and two teams that I am hearing are interested are the NY Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. The Rangers have a ton of cap space, but also need a ton of players...The Sabres are going to be "Very agressive this summer" according to top sources.

Gaborik with a healthy Tim Connolly would be a tantalizing idea.

They only have 11 players under contract, but they do have $25 million in cap space. No one talks about it,but they have some good to great young players who help keep that number down.

I really like Dubinsky. He's turned into a really nice player for them.

Another injury prone finesse player? No thanks.

Definitely a player in Darcy's mold though, but looking over our roster, also the last thing we need.

Perhaps if they unload Max, but seeing how he played at the world's I'm becoming more and more convinced that he will never get used to the NHL rinks, and I'm sure some GM's are too :wallbash:

No Thanks to this guy. He shows up when wants, and can't stand playing for Lemair because of his defensive philosophy. As long as Lindy's the coach of this team I can't see them brining in a soft forward who is afraid, can't, or won't play defense.

Not going to happen. Simple as that. Plus he is signed through next year.

THE VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Tony Gallagher reports Jacques Lemaire's decision to return as the Minnesota Wild's head coach could have an impact upon Marian Gaborik's future with the team. Gaborik has chafed under Lemaire's defensive system and has suggested he wouldn't mind playing for a more offensive club. Gallagher notes Wild management will likely pay handsomely to convince Gaborik, who has one season remaining on his contract, to remain long term with the Wild, but if the forward decides to test next summer's UFA market the Wild could be forced to consider trading him.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Risebrough might not shop Gaborik right away if he fails to re-sign him this summer, which could mean speculation over his status could carry through next season up to the trade deadline.

Another injury prone finesse player? No thanks.

Definitely a player in Darcy's mold though, but looking over our roster, also the last thing we need.

Perhaps if they unload Max, but seeing how he played at the world's I'm becoming more and more convinced that he will never get used to the NHL rinks, and I'm sure some GM's are too :wallbash:

But Gaborik is a tenacious backchecker and disciplined too. Coming from conservative trap-happy Minnesota, if Gaborik was able to open it up in Buffalo he could easily score 50 goals.

No Thanks to this guy. He shows up when wants, and can't stand playing for Lemair because of his defensive philosophy. As long as Lindy's the coach of this team I can't see them brining in a soft forward who is afraid, can't, or won't play defense.

Not going to happen. Simple as that. Plus he is signed through next year.

THE VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Tony Gallagher reports Jacques Lemaire's decision to return as the Minnesota Wild's head coach could have an impact upon Marian Gaborik's future with the team. Gaborik has chafed under Lemaire's defensive system and has suggested he wouldn't mind playing for a more offensive club. Gallagher notes Wild management will likely pay handsomely to convince Gaborik, who has one season remaining on his contract, to remain long term with the Wild, but if the forward decides to test next summer's UFA market the Wild could be forced to consider trading him.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Risebrough might not shop Gaborik right away if he fails to re-sign him this summer, which could mean speculation over his status could carry through next season up to the trade deadline.

Interesting thoughts, but he is in no way a defensive liability from what I've seen.

Interesting thoughts, but he is in no way a defensive liability from what I've seen.

Agreed. He is in fact a very good defensive player. He just wants to play in a more open system that allows him to utilize his speed and scoring talent. Lemaire's system does not allow for that, but I would not interpret this to mean he does not play defense nor does not like playing defense. I interpret this to mean he does not like playing the trap as it stifles his offense, but that's me.

I'd love to have him in Buffalo. I'd get rid of Max and Kotalik to whoever would take them to free cap space, and do whatever it takes to get Gaborik, but the key as has been mentioned already is his health and the fact that he's frequently injured (please read this correctly as not Max and Kotalik for Gaborik but rather Max and Kotalik to any other teams and Buffalo making a separate trade with Minnesota for Gaborik that does not involve Max or Kotalik. Clarification necessary as I'm sure someone will pounce given the wording). He's a good player, and in the right system could be an NHL Superstar.

But Gaborik is a tenacious backchecker and disciplined too. Coming from conservative trap-happy Minnesota, if Gaborik was able to open it up in Buffalo he could easily score 50 goals.

Exactly what I was thinking. Wow, who would have thought, an offensive player doesn't want to play under the guy who invented/perfected the trap? Shocking.

A healthy Gaborik + Lindy's system could result in MONSTER numbers for #10 - he racked up 83 points in 77 games last year (including 5 goals in one game) in a defensive system without a decent center. Put him with Roy or even a semi-healthy Connolly and get out of the way and you might see 100 pts.

Agreed. He is in fact a very good defensive player. He just wants to play in a more open system that allows him to utilize his speed and scoring talent. Lemaire's system does not allow for that, but I would not interpret this to mean he does not play defense nor does not like playing defense. I interpret this to mean he does not like playing the trap as it stifles his offense, but that's me.

I'd love to have him in Buffalo. I'd get rid of Max and Kotalik to whoever would take them to free cap space, and do whatever it takes to get Gaborik, but the key as has been mentioned already is his health and the fact that he's frequently injured (please read this correctly as not Max and Kotalik for Gaborik but rather Max and Kotalik to any other teams and Buffalo making a separate trade with Minnesota for Gaborik that does not involve Max or Kotalik. Clarification necessary as I'm sure someone will pounce given the wording). He's a good player, and in the right system could be an NHL Superstar.

Agreed 100%. The list of Sabres I wouldn't trade to get Gaborik into Buffalo is very, very short.

Makes too much sense..Something that might actually get me excited about the Sabres again....

Same here. Right now I am too damn nervous about this offseason and seeing this team get back on track to get excited about next year.

Same here. Right now I am too damn nervous about this offseason and seeing this team get back on track to get excited about next year.

Well all accounts from what I have heard are they will be active in trades..I hung out with Mike Ryan and Brian Campbell and my friend from the Sabres at Elmo's last week..Mike said that everyone of the players he has talked to are a little on edge about the future..I told him thats good..They should be on edge..

Yeah but don't we already say that about Vanek? Why take another chance on a similiar player.

Yeah but don't we already say that about Vanek? Why take another chance on a similiar player.

I'm not sure I'd call Vanek and Gaborik similar players. Gaborik also plays on the PK for Minnesota, something Vanek does not do for Buffalo. Look at what Gaborik's done in a pure defensive minded trap system through his career:

2000-2001 71 18 18 36 -6

2001-2002 78 30 37 67 Even

2002-2003 81 30 35 65 +12

2003-2004 65 18 22 40 +10

2005-2006 65 38 28 66 +6

2006-2007 48 30 27 57 +12

2007-2008 77 42 41 83 +17

Considering he has played in a defense first system that has had some inconsistent goaltending during his tenure there, those are some pretty strong numbers. The last three years have been exceptional years as he has consistently exceeded a point per game in each of those seasons. His +/- over the last 5 NHL seasons has also shown that he's not bad on the defensive end either. Imagine putting him in a system with just a little bit more offensive bent than the Wild and this guy is an Art Ross Contender every year. And, as Wolf mentioned, he's only 26, with 7 seasons of NHL experience. I would take a guy like that. I'm not saying it will happen because it probably won't, but I think a guy like that who actually wears the C in Minnesota can bring scoring and some leadership to this team and would be a great fit here in my opinion.

I'd be quite psyched about Gaborik, but I also agree with the poster above who said Gaborik wouldn't bring what we really need, ie a top 4 defenseman, a top 2 center, and at least 2 players with experience, leadership, and lots of wee-wees and vinegar. Another speedy winger doesn't address the core issues -- but I'm confident, based on their public comments, that Darcy and Lindy know that.

Now, if next year our roster includes:

Gaborik

Kolzig (or the equivalent as a #2 goalie)

Orpik (highly doubtful since I doubt we're going to spring for an expensive UFA, and he'll will probably get $4 million per year, but he's the type of defenseman we need)

Sundin (a true longshot but Buffalo is the closest option to home for him, this is the kind of center I want -- big, talented, tough and experienced -- and I'm going to hold out hope until he signs elsewhere)

Holy mackarel will I be psyched.

Honestly I don't know anyone who would categorize Vanek as a tenacious backchecker and/or a disciplined player. His backchecking has gotten better, but he's not consistent and not very good at it. More often than not he is average at best in his own end, and he still takes a lot of careless, stupid penalties.

I'd be quite psyched about Gaborik, but I also agree with the poster above who said Gaborik wouldn't bring what we really need, ie a top 4 defenseman, a top 2 center, and at least 2 players with experience, leadership, and lots of wee-wees and vinegar. Another speedy winger doesn't address the core issues -- but I'm confident, based on their public comments, that Darcy and Lindy know that.

Now, if next year our roster includes:

Gaborik

Kolzig (or the equivalent as a #2 goalie)

Orpik (highly doubtful since I doubt we're going to spring for an expensive UFA, and he'll will probably get $4 million per year, but he's the type of defenseman we need)

Sundin (a true longshot but Buffalo is the closest option to home for him, this is the kind of center I want -- big, talented, tough and experienced -- and I'm going to hold out hope until he signs elsewhere)

Holy mackarel will I be psyched.

You had me up to Sundin, but I could overlook him if we get those other three. :thumbsup:

Archived