Bucky Ecklund is at it again...

slapshot1619

I'd be quite psyched about Gaborik, but I also agree with the poster above who said Gaborik wouldn't bring what we really need, ie a top 4 defenseman, a top 2 center, and at least 2 players with experience, leadership, and lots of wee-wees and vinegar. Another speedy winger doesn't address the core issues -- but I'm confident, based on their public comments, that Darcy and Lindy know that.

This yarn seems far fetched, but Gaborik would be awesome to have. He would be an upgrade of Max and Al's role for sure. (even though Al had a great year for himself)

Yeah but don't we already say that about Vanek? Why take another chance on a similiar player.

Not sure what you mean exactly.

I don't really see much similarity in terms of style.

I could be missing something.

Gaborik can pick your pocket and be three strides in the other direction before you notice.

But Gaborik is a tenacious backchecker and disciplined too. Coming from conservative trap-happy Minnesota, if Gaborik was able to open it up in Buffalo he could easily score 50 goals.

I have no doubt he could light it up, if healthy.

What I'm saying is, do we really need another skill forward? Shouldn't we be concentrating on boosting our blueline? And if we do decide to look at a forward, shouldn't we be aiming to upgrade dwon the middle? The days of us having centers playing wing are over, and we're thin down the middle.

And if we DO bring in a center, shouldn't we be looking at a 2nd/3rd line veteran with some physical aspect to his game?

Move Max and Connolly, and the picture changes. Until then, he would just make the team even more one-dimensional.

Wow, this is actually starting to feel like a real off-season, rather than just an early season-ending :D

Honestly I don't know anyone who would categorize Vanek as a tenacious backchecker and/or a disciplined player. His backchecking has gotten better, but he's not consistent and not very good at it. More often than not he is average at best in his own end, and he still takes a lot of careless, stupid penalties.

Vanek takes stick penalties, and those usually happen because you're a step behind the other player.

Fact is Vanek's skating is way below sub-par, and it's probably also the reason you see Lindy so hell-bent on parking him in front of the net instead of letting him roam.

He just doesn't have the wheels for it.

Now Max on the other hand - There's a guy with wheels also taking stick penalties like there's no tomorrow. Move this guy. #%^$#! waive him even, this clown will never amount to anything other than a flukish player who hurts his team way more than he contributes.

I'm not sure I'd call Vanek and Gaborik similar players. Gaborik also plays on the PK for Minnesota, something Vanek does not do for Buffalo. Look at what Gaborik's done in a pure defensive minded trap system through his career:

2000-2001 71 18 18 36 -6

2001-2002 78 30 37 67 Even

2002-2003 81 30 35 65 +12

2003-2004 65 18 22 40 +10

2005-2006 65 38 28 66 +6

2006-2007 48 30 27 57 +12

2007-2008 77 42 41 83 +17

Considering he has played in a defense first system that has had some inconsistent goaltending during his tenure there, those are some pretty strong numbers. The last three years have been exceptional years as he has consistently exceeded a point per game in each of those seasons. His +/- over the last 5 NHL seasons has also shown that he's not bad on the defensive end either. Imagine putting him in a system with just a little bit more offensive bent than the Wild and this guy is an Art Ross Contender every year. And, as Wolf mentioned, he's only 26, with 7 seasons of NHL experience. I would take a guy like that. I'm not saying it will happen because it probably won't, but I think a guy like that who actually wears the C in Minnesota can bring scoring and some leadership to this team and would be a great fit here in my opinion.

I wouldn't have guessed the plus/minus...makes him all the more intrigueing. Obviously this couldn't be their only move, but if he does provide defensive responsabilities, he may help to take some pressure off the defense.

My quick search results made it look like the Wild have had Gaborik on the block for awhile now. Who knows what they are looking for in return. Lemaire might as well trade with NJ for Elias & Gionta or something.

I have had Gabby on fantasy teams for years and was pretty good, points every night. FWIW.

My quick search results made it look like the Wild have had Gaborik on the block for awhile now. Who knows what they are looking for in return. Lemaire might as well trade with NJ for Elias & Gionta or something.

I have had Gabby on fantasy teams for years and was pretty good, points every night. FWIW.

Ditching Max and bringing in Gabs would be a huge upgrade, but it's going to cost a pretty penny. Gaborik is the top offensive threat on Minnesota, they'll be looking for high return (aka a combination of if not all of Stafford, Paille, Enroth) this just isn't a Darcy move, especially for a injury prone guy like him.

My wish list includes Orpik and Malone, but Darcy has never been a big dabbler in free agency. I expect a mid level free agent center picked up weeks after the top level guys are gone (think the timing of Spacek) and maybe a trade to pull in a underachieving forward with potential. Nothing more.

Ditching Max and bringing in Gabs would be a huge upgrade, but it's going to cost a pretty penny. Gaborik is the top offensive threat on Minnesota, they'll be looking for high return (aka a combination of if not all of Stafford, Paille, Enroth) this just isn't a Darcy move, especially for a injury prone guy like him.

My wish list includes Orpik and Malone, but Darcy has never been a big dabbler in free agency. I expect a mid level free agent center picked up weeks after the top level guys are gone (think the timing of Spacek) and maybe a trade to pull in a underachieving forward with potential. Nothing more.

I don't see much happening after July 1. I expect things to happen draft weekend June 20, 21.

I don't see much happening after July 1. I expect things to happen draft weekend June 20, 21.

100% agreed. On July 1st, Patrick Marleau's new contract and no-trade clause kicks in. Every rumor I have read is that Doug Wilson will be getting rid of him before the new contract kicks in. I'd love for the Sabres to be bold and acquire Marleau at the draft. That would be a coup.

100% agreed. On July 1st, Patrick Marleau's new contract and no-trade clause kicks in. Every rumor I have read is that Doug Wilson will be getting rid of him before the new contract kicks in. I'd love for the Sabres to be bold and acquire Marleau at the draft. That would be a coup.

I don't know, it depends on what you are going to give up for him, if he comes on the cheap yea, but if not it might be time to say no thanks and move on

2005 and 2006 he had 34 and 32 goals, this past year he had 19 and in those same years his point totals dropped from 86 to 78 to 48 playing roughly the same amount of games, is it a sign of the player he is, or just an off year?

Does he have a no movement clause? That's the only way the before/after July 1st issue would matter.

While I agree that we shouldn't expect fireworks from the Sabres in the 1st few days of FA, I can see us signing a 2nd-tier veteran FA (as we did with Teppo) after the initial frenzy dies down. I also agree that we should expect more action in the trade context than we should in the FA context, especially if we want to pick up a tough, veteran center (which I think we really need). Bottom line is that we have too many forwards:

Roy-Vanek-Stafford

Hecht-Pominville-Paille (RFA)

Connolly-Max-Kotalik

Gaustad (RFA)-Mair-Kaleta

Bernier (RFA)

Peters

Ryan (UFA)

MacArthur (RFA)

Gerbe

While we will probably let Ryan go, I don't see us letting go of any of the RFAs. Even with Petey in the press box half the time, Ryan gone, and MacArthur (I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that we can send him down again next year) and Gerbe in the AHL, that leaves no room for Bernier or the new veteran forward. (It's possible Kaleta goes back down, but I certainly don't want to see that happen, and I think Lindy likes having him in the lineup.) And what if Mac or Gerbe tears it up in camp?

Based on the numbers above and Darcy's comments about Max, I'm expecting Max and one other forward to be traded for some combination of (i) top 4 defenseman, (ii) top 2 center and (iii) draft picks. Based on desirability to other teams and my assumptions about who on our team is off limits, I'm guessing that other forward is going to be either Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, Mair, Bernier or MacArthur.

Does he have a no movement clause? That's the only way the before/after July 1st issue would matter.

It's not No-Movement, just a No-Trade clause, but basically the same aside from he can get placed on waivers with a No-Trade. That's why he will be traded before July 1st or he won't be traded at all.

While I agree that we shouldn't expect fireworks from the Sabres in the 1st few days of FA, I can see us signing a 2nd-tier veteran FA (as we did with Teppo) after the initial frenzy dies down. I also agree that we should expect more action in the trade context than we should in the FA context, especially if we want to pick up a tough, veteran center (which I think we really need). Bottom line is that we have too many forwards:

Roy-Vanek-Stafford

Hecht-Pominville-Paille (RFA)

Connolly-Max-Kotalik

Gaustad (RFA)-Mair-Kaleta

Bernier (RFA)

Peters

Ryan (UFA)

MacArthur (RFA)

Gerbe

While we will probably let Ryan go, I don't see us letting go of any of the RFAs. Even with Petey in the press box half the time, Ryan gone, and MacArthur (I'm pretty sure, but not 100%, that we can send him down again next year) and Gerbe in the AHL, that leaves no room for Bernier or the new veteran forward. (It's possible Kaleta goes back down, but I certainly don't want to see that happen, and I think Lindy likes having him in the lineup.) And what if Mac or Gerbe tears it up in camp?

Based on the numbers above and Darcy's comments about Max, I'm expecting Max and one other forward to be traded for some combination of (i) top 4 defenseman, (ii) top 2 center and (iii) draft picks. Based on desirability to other teams and my assumptions about who on our team is off limits, I'm guessing that other forward is going to be either Stafford, Paille, Kotalik, Mair, Bernier or MacArthur.

MacArthur becomes waiver eligible next season. So, if we send him down to the AHL, he will have to clear waivers, much like Pominville did in 2005-2006. Given your scenario, I really don't see the Sabres trading Bernier, Gaustad, or Paille as they are all RFAs and the Sabres would probably like to keep them. If the Sabres are going to trade any of their players who could get value in return, I would imagine those guys being Max, Kotalik, Stafford, and MacArthur. And, for the right price, I could see Stafford being traded as he and Max most likely will fetch the most value, Max cause he's "dynamic" and has "potential" to be turned around and Stafford because he was a high first round draft choice and is very young with loads of potential. That's my take at least.

MacArthur becomes waiver eligible next season. So, if we send him down to the AHL, he will have to clear waivers, much like Pominville did in 2005-2006. Given your scenario, I really don't see the Sabres trading Bernier, Gaustad, or Paille as they are all RFAs and the Sabres would probably like to keep them. If the Sabres are going to trade any of their players who could get value in return, I would imagine those guys being Max, Kotalik, Stafford, and MacArthur. And, for the right price, I could see Stafford being traded as he and Max most likely will fetch the most value, Max cause he's "dynamic" and has "potential" to be turned around and Stafford because he was a high first round draft choice and is very young with loads of potential. That's my take at least.

I agree. I don't really want to trade Stafford, but to get an impact player, we're going to have to give up something of value.

I wouldn't include Enroth on that list - Minnesota has Backstrom and Harding with the big club, they picked up Nolan Schaefer from San Jose, and have a pair of good prospects in Anton Khudobin and Niko Hovinen.

I'm also not as concerned about him being injury prone - he has played at least 65 games in each season but last year (48) and most years he has been in the 70-81 game range. I'm much more concerned about Timmy being injury prone, given that his concussion have cost him nearly two full seasons and then he has had issues outside the head/neck area.

Marleau is an interesting gamble. He has a lot of potential and, if he gets back on the right track, would fill one of our big holes. He also comes with a two-year contract, which is long enough that we wouldn't lose him right away if he steps his game back up, but short enough that we wouldn't be stuck with him for too long if he doesn't. The real question is what happened this year that threw off his numbers? Was it that he was on a line with the wrong players? If he came here, he would likely be with Pominville and Hecht, who he could put up some big numbers with. Was it the conflict with management? A change in scenery my be enough to fix that. Was he just lucky before and this is the real player that he will be? Maybe ...

I would say that he is a player that we should certainly be looking at, but it will depend on what, in addition to $6.3 million per year, we would have to give up for him. I have seen speculation that a first-round pick and a young forward might do it. Could we give them back their first round pick and one of our young guys? Would that be worth it? This GM thing is harder than it seems.

Marleau is an interesting gamble. He has a lot of potential and, if he gets back on the right track, would fill one of our big holes. He also comes with a two-year contract, which is long enough that we wouldn't lose him right away if he steps his game back up, but short enough that we wouldn't be stuck with him for too long if he doesn't. The real question is what happened this year that threw off his numbers? Was it that he was on a line with the wrong players? If he came here, he would likely be with Pominville and Hecht, who he could put up some big numbers with. Was it the conflict with management? A change in scenery my be enough to fix that. Was he just lucky before and this is the real player that he will be? Maybe ...

I would say that he is a player that we should certainly be looking at, but it will depend on what, in addition to $6.3 million per year, we would have to give up for him. I have seen speculation that a first-round pick and a young forward might do it. Could we give them back their first round pick and one of our young guys? Would that be worth it? This GM thing is harder than it seems.

As nice as it would be, but do you think we are providing the rest of the league with our "NHL farm Team" if he does step up and prove to be the right kind of gamble? Just a thought. I hate having to be negative but we do tend to have our fair share of this.

After the playoff run Pitt is making now, these guys have a golden ticket, forget about it. especially with us. Sacking Gaborik for a player or two, plus a draft would make more sense if anything. We are talking about a star here; but not a captain. Still a pipedream; but it is May :D

After the playoff run Pitt is making now, these guys have a golden ticket, forget about it. especially with us. Sacking Gaborik for a player or two, plus a draft would make more sense if anything. We are talking about a star here; but not a captain. Still a pipedream; but it is May :D

Gaborik would fit right in, since Minnesota is another team that does that ridiculous "rotating captaincy" system. He was "capitaine du mois" for March, and he responded by notching 7-9-16, +5 in 15 games.

I wouldn't include Enroth on that list - Minnesota has Backstrom and Harding with the big club, they picked up Nolan Schaefer from San Jose, and have a pair of good prospects in Anton Khudobin and Niko Hovinen.

I'm also not as concerned about him being injury prone - he has played at least 65 games in each season but last year (48) and most years he has been in the 70-81 game range. I'm much more concerned about Timmy being injury prone, given that his concussion have cost him nearly two full seasons and then he has had issues outside the head/neck area.

Fair enough on the goalie front. I guess my point was it's going to take much more than people realize to get him. The dudes an A1 player in the league and would put up in bigger numbers in a wide open system. If Darcy can pull of some magic, which he's done in the past I'm all for it. But this situation is highly unlikely. He's just not a wheeler and dealer for big name guys.

I see your point, but how much will realistically be thrown at these guys? 4mm per for Malone and 3mm per for Orpik? These guys are more role players with an edge than potential superstars.

Gaborik would fit right in, since Minnesota is another team that does that ridiculous "rotating captaincy" system. He was "capitaine du mois" for March, and he responded by notching 7-9-16, +5 in 15 games.

He is 26 and a legit 30-40 goal scorer. If the Sabres have a chance to pick him up they should do so. I would give up Stafford and and the two #1 picks this season. I'm not sure what else the Wild may ask for. I would be willing to throw in Tallinder.

Archived