Bucky Ecklund is at it again...

slapshot1619

What a great site! Jezuz H Kroist, where have I been? O boy O boy O boy... :beer:

Warning! Warning! Very addictive!!

It is useful for so many things that I go to for something on just about every third or maybe even every other post I make.

I see your point, but how much will realistically be thrown at these guys? 4mm per for Malone and 3mm per for Orpik? These guys are more role players with an edge than potential superstars.

sure, that sounds about right; but go even higher if they take it all. I see Orpik attracting alot of interest from everywhere and could be locked up long time in a ridiculous deal. Malone too, but especially Orpik.

*also see: Kawika Mitchell

He is 26 and a legit 30-40 goal scorer. If the Sabres have a chance to pick him up they should do so. I would give up Stafford and and the two #1 picks this season. I'm not sure what else the Wild may ask for. I would be willing to throw in Tallinder.

I agree. Proven goal scorer. Without trashing our own in trade scenarios, he's proven talent. I hate to say it, but everyone gets injured. If you squeeze 65 games out of him, I'm happy. I would probably give up two starters as well; do they still have Wes Walz? :)

He is 26 and a legit 30-40 goal scorer. If the Sabres have a chance to pick him up they should do so. I would give up Stafford and and the two #1 picks this season. I'm not sure what else the Wild may ask for. I would be willing to throw in Tallinder.

I agree. Proven goal scorer. Without trashing our own in trade scenarios, he's proven talent. I hate to say it, but everyone gets injured. If you squeeze 65 games out of him, I'm happy. I would probably give up two starters as well; do they still have Wes Walz? :)

Guys, let's not forget that he is going into the last year of his deal and will make $7.5 million ... that's fine for this season, but no way do I give up Stafford and two first-rounders (AND possibly Tallinder), or two players and a first-rounder, unless I know damn well I can lock the guy up for a few years. And given that he is coming off of a 40-goal season and will expect a raise to give up his shot at free agency, we might be talking $8.5 million a year ... are they going to get that kind of deal done the same year they have toget a deal done with Miller and Pominville? Assuming they are not involved in the deal for Gaborik, Stafford and Sekera also will be in the last year of their deals ...

Not saying the guy is not worth what you are suggesting in a vacum, but given his contract status it would be a HUGE risk to give up that many assets and possibly have him be a one-year rental, in my opinion.

Guys, let's not forget that he is going into the last year of his deal and will make $7.5 million ... that's fine for this season, but no way do I give up Stafford and two first-rounders (AND possibly Tallinder), or two players and a first-rounder, unless I know damn well I can lock the guy up for a few years. And given that he is coming off of a 40-goal season and will expect a raise to give up his shot at free agency, we might be talking $8.5 million a year ... are they going to get that kind of deal done the same year they have toget a deal done with Miller and Pominville? Assuming they are not involved in the deal for Gaborik, Stafford and Sekera also will be in the last year of their deals ...

Not saying the guy is not worth what you are suggesting in a vacum, but given his contract status it would be a HUGE risk to give up that many assets and possibly have him be a one-year rental, in my opinion.

Exactly. Unless they can extend him, there is no way they make the kind of deal that would be required. And if they are willing to pay him what it would take to extend him, why not just sign Hossa and then you don't have to give up any players and you get a great two way player.

I love the idea of Gaborik, I just don't see how it makes sense for them.

Exactly. Unless they can extend him, there is no way they make the kind of deal that would be required. And if they are willing to pay him what it would take to extend him, why not just sign Hossa and then you don't have to give up any players and you get a great two way player.

Wow didn't even think of that ... good point, although Hossa could go ANYWHERE ... at least with Gaborik they would be the only ones who could talk extension with him ... still, it doesn't have to be Hossa ... could be 2 guys (a forward like Malone and a defenseman ... Liles? Hainsey? Orpik?) for the price Gaborik or Hossa would cost you ... if you are going to spend that kind of money, get aggressive in free agency and keep your young talent ...

2 good posts. These put the nail in the coffin of the Gaborik rumor, IMHO. It ain't happening.

Wow didn't even think of that ... good point, although Hossa could go ANYWHERE ... at least with Gaborik they would be the only ones who could talk extension with him ... still, it doesn't have to be Hossa ... could be 2 guys (a forward like Malone and a defenseman ... Liles? Hainsey? Orpik?) for the price Gaborik or Hossa would cost you ... if you are going to spend that kind of money, get aggressive in free agency and keep your young talent ...

When has Darcy EVER gone after a guy like Hossa? Never. I would rule this out faster than any Gaborik rumour.

I wouldn't mind having Gabo, but I think we would have to give up too many of our chips for something that isn't one of our top two needs (true top-line center, stay-at-home physical defenseman). Use those chips to upgrade where we need it most. Of course, he would be great in a Sabres uniform, but if we go forward with four centers including Timmy and/or with our same finesse defense, we are in trouble with or without him.

Edit:

When has Darcy EVER gone after a guy like Hossa? Never. I would rule this out faster than any Gaborik rumour.

Agreed. Not his style. The Marleau deal is more the type of move that he would make.

Agreed. Not his style. The Marleau deal is more the type of move that he would make.

The point wasn't that Darcy WOULD go after Hossa ... but he's not stupid either, he's not going to give up young, relatiively cheap assets like Stafford to get Gaborik who will likely cost more than Darcy is known to spend ... if all of a sudden Darcy WAS in the market to spend big bucks, why give up player assets AND spend the big bucks?

Marleau has one more year on his deal after this one, so it is more likely in that sense ... given his decline Darcy I wonder if it would have to be one of those where Darcy fleeces them before he will pull the trigger though.

I haven't read Ecklund, and I don't expect them to sign Gaborik really.

But for the sake of argument he may go cheaper than you might think....

Minnesota needs depth. Gaborik would probably love to go somewhere where he can pile up some pts. going into a

UFA year.

Him going somewhere as a 1 year rental (Buffalo or somewhere else) is not out of the question.

I haven't read Ecklund, and I don't expect them to sign Gaborik really.

But for the sake of argument he may go cheaper than you might think....

Minnesota needs depth. Gaborik would probably love to go somewhere where he can pile up some pts. going into a

UFA year.

Him going somewhere as a 1 year rental (Buffalo or somewhere else) is not out of the question.

If they can add a veteran center in a seperate deal or free agency, I'd be willing to rent Gaborik for Max and Kotalik ... together they are cheaper than Gaborik, it gives them some depth and if they do not respond to the change of scenery their contracts are up after this season just like Gaborik, so the Wild are not stuck with them.

But if he's just a rental no way I part with Stafford and/or Paille ...

I do agree with you that they would have to sign him long term. The Sabres would have to decide if they want to put this kid as the "face of the franchise" as they say. I see a player like Gaborik that might be available and I immediately think of the $6.5 million the Sabres are wasting on AfinoConnollyov.

I do agree with you that they would have to sign him long term. The Sabres would have to decide if they want to put this kid as the "face of the franchise" as they say. I see a player like Gaborik that might be available and I immediately think of the $6.5 million the Sabres are wasting on AfinoConnollyov.

Actually those guys should not keep them from signing a Gaborik long-term should they swing a deal ... their money comes off the books after this season anyway ... I'm just not optimistic that they can juggle extensions for all those guys I mentioned while the white elephant in the room will always be "You just traded for a guy who you will pay more than me" ... If they could somehow lock up those guys quickly so they know where they stand and then make a deal, it might work.

Actually those guys should not keep them from signing a Gaborik long-term should they swing a deal ... their money comes off the books after this season anyway ... I'm just not optimistic that they can juggle extensions for all those guys I mentioned while the white elephant in the room will always be "You just traded for a guy who you will pay more than me" ... If they could somehow lock up those guys quickly so they know where they stand and then make a deal, it might work.

I honestly believe they will. Like they did with the draft picks I think the Sabres front office will want to make a splash this off-season. Contrary to popular belief the front office is not run by a bunch of idiots. I'm not sure if it would include a huge trade like the one for Gaborik. It would be great for the team on the ice it would also go a long way to silence a lot of the negativity that has surrounded the team since last summer. I think the front office is sensitive to criticisms. They are not the type to allow their team to be run by reacting to the fans. That doesn't mean they aren't aware of it however.

Here's a better question re: Malone. Why would he want to leave Pittsburgh? You want to talk about hometown discount. He's from Pittsburgh IIRC, not to mention that by staying he gets to play wing for Crosby or Malkin and pump his own numbers. Playing with great players can vault your own career. Look at Rob Brown, he was a schmo but he plkayed with lemieux so he potted 40+ a year.

If Malone were actually dumb enough to leave that situation I don't think I want him on those grounds.

Malone to me is another Stafford or Bernier...good size, good shot, good potential, but do we really want another guy like that around?

Malone to me is another Stafford or Bernier...good size, good shot, good potential, but do we really want another guy like that around?

Yes!

Adding talent can never be a bad thing. If the Sabres ended the off season with signing Miller and Pominville to long term contracts and Malone and Liles are wearing Sabres uniforms then the off season would be a huge success.

Anybody know this blogger?

http://www.sabresprospects.com/

Max to Vancouver to move to the #10 spot?

Interesting!

I would be shocked if the Canucks gave up a #1 straight up for Max. There would have to be something else involved. Maybe the Sabres second 1st round pick? If the Sabres could get yet another #1 that would be a coupe for Regier.

Some interesting thoughts on Kennedy. I wounder if the Sabres would be willing to move Kennedy or another prospect in order to get that defensemen we all feel they need.

I am enjoying the Finals but Ican't wait until the off season is in full gear.

Archived