How could we not have signed Peca!

carpandean

Ok, mostly kidding because of the never-ending Briere thread and the budding, but growing quickly Drury thread.

That said, go back to August of last season. Chris is gone. Danny is gone. Our centers are Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Mair. Our back-up plan center for a questionable Timmy is Hecht, a natural winger that doesn't do well on face-offs. Our veteran leaders are Spacek, Hecht, Tallydman and Tepp ... oh, wait, there goes that heart. Peca is quoted as saying his first choice is the Sabres and, since he was coming off a long-term knee injury, was available for a low-base, incentive-laden contract. So, what would have happened if we signed him?

Looking at the starting roster for this past season, when Connolly was healthy, we would have had:

Vanek-Roy-Afinagenov

Hecht-Connolly-Pominville

Paille-Peca-Kotalik

Mair-Gaustad-Stafford

and when Connolly was out:

Vanek-Roy-Afinagenov

Hecht-Peca-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Kotalik

Ryan-Mair-Stafford

Obviously, those would have changed up if Max had the bad year that he did, if Kaleta came and played well, if we did pick up Bernier, etc. He made a base of $1.3 million and got another $600k in bonuses due to things like games played and probably points. Sure, there would be some chance that both Connolly and Peca would be injured at the same time, but it would have been much less than the chance of just Timmy being hurt.

Besides, who can forget this play:

It might has well been called "amazing outlet pass by Peca sets up Nash for the easy goal." :thumbsup:

Hey, you know what? He's available again this year!

Ok, mostly kidding because of the never-ending Briere thread and the budding, but growing quickly Drury thread.

That said, go back to August of last season. Chris is gone. Danny is gone. Our centers are Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Mair. Our back-up plan center for a questionable Timmy is Hecht, a natural winger that doesn't do well on face-offs. Our veteran leaders are Spacek, Hecht, Tallydman and Tepp ... oh, wait, there goes that heart. Peca is quoted as saying his first choice is the Sabres and, since he was coming off a long-term knee injury, was available for a low-base, incentive-laden contract. So, what would have happened if we signed him?

Looking at the starting roster for this past season, when Connolly was healthy, we would have had:

Vanek-Roy-Afinagenov

Paille-Peca-Kotalik

Mair-Gaustad-Stafford

and when Connolly was out:

Vanek-Roy-Afinagenov

Hecht-Peca-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Kotalik

Ryan-Mair-Stafford

Obviously, those would have changed up if Max had the bad year that he did, if Kaleta came and played well, if we did pick up Bernier, etc. He made a base of $1.3 million and got another $600k in bonuses due to things like games played and probably points. Sure, there would be some chance that both Connolly and Peca would be injured at the same time, but it would have been much less than the chance of just Timmy being hurt.

Besides, who can forget this play:

It might has well been called "amazing outlet pass by Peca sets up Nash for the easy goal. :thumbsup:

Hey, you know what? He's available again this year!

I was hoping they would however you cant expect the Sabres to sign him after what happened between the 2 last time..

Well I believe Teppo was up to 2 packs a day at that point, so we needed to shell out for him to feed his addiction and I guess we spent too much.

That being said, I welcomed the idea of a Peca return as long as expectations were extremely low. It is still puzzling as to why we didn't at least bring in one veteran after the departures of our high-profile veterans. Especially on defense--which is something that a few of us on here have been calling for since we lost the ECF in 05-06.

Did the Blue Jackets make the playoffs? Did I miss something?

Did the Capitals make the playoffs last year (2006-07) with Ovechkin? Guess they shouldn't have signed him long-term. I'm not saying Peca should have been signed as our first-line center and undisputed veteran leader, but for the money, I think he would have filled some holes better than the alternatives we went with. Besides, I just bought a Peca authentic black goat-head Captain jersey! ;)

Well I believe Teppo was up to 2 packs a day at that point, so we needed to shell out for him to feed his addiction and I guess we spent too much.

Huh? Teppo never gave me the impression that he smoked... :blink:

I say we sign him on the cheap this year and trade away Max and Kotalik.

Then, when Connolly is healthy, we would have:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford/Bernier

Paille-Peca-Stafford/Bernier

Mair-Gaustad-Kaleta

and when Connolly is out:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford/Bernier

Hecht-Peca-Pominville

Paille-Gaustad-Stafford/Bernier

Peters-Mair-Kaleta

I'd definitely like to see Mair-Gaustad-Kaleta banging the boards. Paille-Peca-Stafford/Bernier would also be a pretty good shut down line. Ah, it's fun playing fantasy GM without consequences.

I thought Peca was great... but he got greedy.

They all do, don't limit it to Peca

Naaaah... how much did he want for being a tough forward with mid-range scoring capability?!? It was pure greed, plain and simple... he overvalued his services, unlike others like Briere, Drury, etc...

I still have a Peca jersey in my closet- and to think I almost bought a Briere one. Free agency sucks- but if they sign Poms, I'm getting his jersey post haste!

He deserved fair market value.

Did the Capitals make the playoffs last year (2006-07) with Ovechkin? Guess they shouldn't have signed him long-term. I'm not saying Peca should have been signed as our first-line center and undisputed veteran leader, but for the money, I think he would have filled some holes better than the alternatives we went with. Besides, I just bought a Peca authentic black goat-head Captain jersey! ;)

This is in jest right?

This is in jest right?

Of course. It was in response to DCSabres asking if the Blue Jackets made the playoffs (with Peca), suggesting he hadn't help them make it, why would he have helped us. No one player can put a team in the playoffs (well, maybe a goalie), as evidence by the Caps missing the playoffs in 2006-07 with arguably the best player in the league.

Of course. It was in response to DCSabres asking if the Blue Jackets made the playoffs (with Peca), suggesting he hadn't help them make it, why we have helped us. No one player can put a team in the playoffs (well, maybe a goalie), as evidence by the Caps missing the playoffs in 2006-07 with arguably the best player in the league.

WROOOOONG!!! :D

See Gretzky, Wayne- sections entitled "Edmonton Oilers", "Los Angeled Kings", and "St. Louis Blues"!!!

That's right- St. Louis Blues... the Arizona Cardinals of the NHL.

:thumbsup:

Of course. It was in response to DCSabres asking if the Blue Jackets made the playoffs (with Peca), suggesting he hadn't help them make it, why would he have helped us. No one player can put a team in the playoffs (well, maybe a goalie), as evidence by the Caps missing the playoffs in 2006-07 with arguably the best player in the league.

Sorry, it was late and I was buzzed. Just wanted to make sure.

I hated when Peca left. I would love to see him in a Sabre uniform. I'm just not sure where to slot him. I think I put him in Adam Mair's spot.

Sorry, it was late and I was buzzed. Just wanted to make sure.

I hated when Peca left. I would love to see him in a Sabre uniform. I'm just not sure where to slot him. I think I put him in Adam Mair's spot.

I would have to agree, and believe that Peca, Mair, Kaletta could make up a decent fourth line if Mair could adapt to playing on the left side. Peca would be great as an additional guy on the PK and he was over fifty per cent on draws last year again.

He's at the age were incentives can be included in contracts.

They all do, don't limit it to Peca

Then again, there are always exceptions to the rule. Martin Brodeur has had a habit of taking the hometown discount in order to remain with the NJ Devils. Bill Brooks did it as well in order to remain with the Bills back in the 90's.

Here's another one for you. A former Sabre at that.

Then again, there are always exceptions to the rule. Martin Brodeur has had a habit of taking the hometown discount in order to remain with the NJ Devils. Bill Brooks did it as well in order to remain with the Bills back in the 90's.

Here's another one for you. A former Sabre at that.

You don't have to go that far back. There are several recent signings were the guys took less then they would have received on the open market.

You don't have to go that far back. There are several recent signings were the guys took less then they would have received on the open market.

True. However, I was disproving a faulty assumption that every professional athlete is greedy. That's like saying that every Christian is a hypocrite.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived