Biron Charred.

bottlecap

I felt a bit sad watching Ovechkin go in on that breakaway on Biron. It was like a guy trying to stop Niagara Falls; he never had a chance. The puck was up in the net before Marty knew what was happening; he was out-quicked, out thought, the out-everythinged. He looked like he was 45. Later Ovechkin put another bullet past him that was so fast again he didn't know what hit him. I'm glad we're not the ones footing the bill for not a #1 goalie, but a 1.5.

The big lug Chara got owned on a few goals last night. The ultimate overdog (if you ever saw him going in on a shoot-out and take a 100 mph slapper from 20 feet out, you know what I mean) was dominated; out-quicked and out-fought by someone half his size on Streit's 1-on-1 as well as some behind the net plays by the Kostitsyns.

I can't wait to see Gerbe finally make this golliath go insane.

I felt a bit sad watching Ovechkin go in on that breakaway on Biron. It was like a guy trying to stop Niagara Falls; he never had a chance. The puck was up in the net before Marty knew what was happening; he was out-quicked, out thought, the out-everythinged. He looked like he was 45. Later Ovechkin put another bullet past him that was so fast again he didn't know what hit him. I'm glad we're not the ones footing the bill for not a #1 goalie, but a 1.5.

The big lug Chara got owned on a few goals last night. The ultimate overdog (if you ever saw him going in on a shoot-out and take a 100 mph slapper from 20 feet out, you know what I mean) was dominated; out-quicked and out-fought by someone half his size on Streit's 1-on-1 as well as some behind the net plays by the Kostitsyns.

I was impressed with Streit's goal. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Buffalo next year. I was very impressed with (first name) Kostitsyn's goal in traffic. Even watching in slow motion, that puck was past Thomas before you can blink. And he shot it while his stick was between two guys' legs. Wow.

I'm glad we're not the ones footing the bill for not a #1 goalie, but a 1.5.

True, that - but his getting schooled by a force of nature isn't necessarily proof positive of the same.

Should be good times all around.

Good grief Ovechkin has done the same to every goalie in the league. The man is going to be the MVP of the league. I also do not believe the Sabres were a better team without Marty. That they needed to use their money elsewhere perhaps a fair point , but this past season has born out that the team does need a capable backup.

Marty a good not great goalie a most capable starter who fits in well in Philadelphia . imo :)

I can't wait to see Gerbe finally make this goliath go insane.

I know my response is OT, but doesn't it make you wish that Gerbe's first name was David?

Good grief Ovechkin has done the same to every goalie in the league. The man is going to be the MVP of the league. I also do not believe the Sabres were a better team without Marty. That they needed to use their money elsewhere perhaps a fair point , but this past season has born out that the team does need a capable backup.

Marty a good not great goalie a most capable starter who fits in well in Philadelphia . imo :)

Agreed completely both marty or Conklin would have been great backups and split some time with Miller to keep him rested and sharp. I thought TB was going to be ok after first game but it was clear why he sat the pine all year.

I cannot help but think back on the WGR song that had Chara in it when we played Ottawa and...

CHARA: OOO OOO OOO OOO

I can still hear it now! Does anyone have a clip link of that?

:thumbsup:

Can't find that, but here's a Chara pep talk from Boston:

PepTalk

I keep hearing from people that if Chara was healthy all year he would probably win the Norris trophy. I have never seen him as a dominate D-man and he has always played average against the Sabres. I just don't see it, unless they are going by size and ugliness. There are 10 guys I would take before him. Lidstrom, Phaneuf, Pronger, Campbell again, Blake (?), Gonchar, Streit, Jovanovski, Bouwmeester, Schneider to name a few or 10. Hell, Rafalski, Redden, etc...

I keep hearing from people that if Chara was healthy all year he would probably win the Norris trophy. I have never seen him as a dominate D-man and he has always played average against the Sabres. I just don't see it, unless they are going by size and ugliness. There are 10 guys I would take before him. Lidstrom, Phaneuf, Pronger, Campbell again, Blake (?), Gonchar, Streit, Jovanovski, Bouwmeester, Schneider to name a few or 10. Hell, Rafalski, Redden, etc...

Volchenkov, Warrener, Regehr, Seabrook, Bouwmeester...

Marty is a capable backup. But he always seems to play poorly in clutch situations. When it's late in the game, and he's called upon to make a big save, he often falls short.

He has had no experience in playoffs until this year. Just as Price went from hero to goat to hero, one game if Marty and flyers play well , will make Marty hello in flyer fans eyes alternately if Flyers lose tonight in some eyes this will support your argument.

In my opinion fans demand far more from the goalie than the rest of players on team and have unrealistic expectations for them, often giving them the blame for failure , when it was a team failure. Guys not back checking, clearing from of the net, not getting puck out of zone, dumb penalties, like last night letting Ovechkin get behind them for clear breakaway.

Marty is not a great goalie , but is a good one, he needs the rest of team to do their jobs. imo :)

Marty is a capable backup. But he always seems to play poorly in clutch situations. When it's late in the game, and he's called upon to make a big save, he often falls short.

Give him his due , first playoff series , he came up huge tonight......

I actually can say, that this is the first time i have ever cheered, well not cheered, but pulled for a philly player...Seeing Marty win was more enjoyable than seeing the Flyers advance for sure. He definetly secured the starting role for atleast the start of next season in philly. But once again Good for marty, too bad (as a sabres fan) its impossible to wish for him to go any farther wearing those colors..

I think my list would stop before the bold starts.

39 saves.

He also does not cost $6 million a year.

No, but he cost a million $'s more than Miller this year, will cost the same as Miller next year (in salary; his cap hit will be much higher) and will be a free agent the same year as Ryan. You never know what the Flyers might extend him at.

Archived