Opinion on sabres management

Mike Oxhurtz

This team cannot change direction fast enough to "fix" things in one year.

Miller seems to be on everybodys' priority list, yet most admit he needs a solid backup. Not only that, but there is a chance that having a contract year hanging over Miller's head is not in Miller's best interests performance wise. Then, even if he is signed and plays well....the defense needs to be overhauled with some bodies that actually hit people, stick up for their goalie, and get nasty in front of the net. Untill that happens...signing Miller is useless. I was surprised Miller didn't break a collarbone this year.

The forwards on this team are workable if they added a nasty veteran and an agitator that will drop the gloves. I've said this going on two years now, so until I see it happen, I will assume again that it won't.

The biggest thing that changed in my mind is that Lindy Ruff is "one of them". He is all about the current system and focusing on quick transition hockey and positional defense. He is looking at younger players and coaching this team like a Juniors or College level group. This is supposed to be the NHL...the best of the best...men make up these teams. The fact that Ruff called Miller "a very young goalie" as he turns 28, shows me he is using youth as an excuse in his own mind. If a leader didn't step up in 82 games.....and nothing changes....how is a leader going to step up next year? If this team was stranded on a desert island for a year and couldn't lead themselves off of it, I have little confidence that group will get off the island in year two. Lindy thinks he's the professor, charting with his constant schemes and tinkering...the defense is the Howells, smoking a pipe while the others do work, Vanek is Ginger and doesn't want to ruin his makeup, Pominville is Mary Ann...soft spoken and reliable, but he doesn't like to ruffle any feathers, Miller is the Skipper...always talking a big game yet he is the last line of defense that landed this ship on the island in the first place...and Afinigenov is Giligan, he's trying to help and works hard, but just F's the whole thing up in the end. I hate to tell everyone, but next year is Season 2. I'm not going to even look up to see how long the series lasted.

Bring him in and bring Teppo back and suddenly Sekera and Weber have some serious leadership to follow. You can then consider using one of your "top pair" D in a package with a forward & picks/prospect to get a legit #2 centerman. (Would prefer to get a legit #2 centerman using forwards / prospects, but you have to give something to get something typically.) Pick up a veteran winger for spot duty / leadership in the room and a goalie that can give you 20 games playing literally every 4th (i.e., without getting into a rhythm) and I'd be very happy with this roster.
Whether they need a #2 and whether they try to get one depend in large part on whether Timmy can actually get healthy with a regular off-season (once he's cleared for working out after the season ending surgery) or if he has become the forward version of Tallinder.

I'm not as convinced as the rest of the people here that Timmy simply will not play more than 40-50 games in a given year. Prior to his high-sticking suspension he had the 3rd or 4th longest active games played streak in the league and had only missed one game in his rookie year.

After he returned from the 1st concussion, he was going very well until the cheap hit from Kasparaitus. Based on everything that was said about the 2nd "concussion" actually being a mis-diagnosed neck injury and the way Timmy tried to "rush" back once he was cleared to exercise, I'm not convinced that he is simply injury-prone.

Droppin' science like Gallileo dropped the orange -- thanks for the considered thoughts, Taro.

Exactly - 60-65 is perfect, especially given how he faded down the home stretch. I think a solid backup plus a renewed commitment to defense and a pissed-off Miller could result in Ryan putting together a very good year.

Of course it won't matter who the goalie is if the defense doesn't improve, either by play, by personnel or by scheme.

Hate to be the lone voice of dissent but I think we need to find another Carey Price and trade Miller. I've seen enough.

FWIW, there are a couple of interesting interviews on the WGR audio vault that show polar opposite opinions of Sabres' management. Adam Proteau of the Hockey News really slams management and says, among other things, that the Sabres have a pretty lousy reputation around the NHL (which is consistent with the THN players survey from last year that had Buffalo as the least desirable team to play for). OTOH, Kelly Hrudey spoke very highly of the Sabres and said that their management has a very good reputation around the NHL.

As for Miller, Hrudey spoke very highly of him as well. IMHO, Miller had an up-and-down season and, disappointingly, faded in the stretch run (like the rest of the team did). But I still think he's the man and would give him a big contract.

We have a mix of people here who are upset with management because we feel they screwed up big time last year with losing Drury & Briere to FA, contract negiotiations, etc... Then there are a group of people that feel management is making the right moves.

My question is simply this, if management has another offseason like last year, and say we end up anywhere from 10th in the Eastern conference to just barely making it into the playoffs and getting eliminated in the 1st round, do you think there should be serious changes made to the management team (meaning getting fired). Or would you say management is still working to make the Sabres a strong contender in the future?

No bashing, just a simple question if we're in the same position next year that we are in this year.

I have to ask. If you fire Ruff or Regier who do you replace them with? You have two choices, either a person who has never held the position of coach or GM. The second would be a person who had already failed as a coach and GM and has gotten fired. I can't think of a coach in the league who I would rather have than Ruff. And Regier? Name a GM who has over come as many pitfalls as Regier has in his time in buffalo.

Are you going to make changes on the business end? Like Quinn/Golisano or not you can't deny they have the Sabres are solid footing for the first time in 20 years. You can argue the methods but you can't argue the results. The franchise is healthy and coming of a three year run in which included to 50+ win seasons. How many teams have won more games over the past three seasons, including playoffs?

I know it's not a fans nature to be rational. It's easy to get riled up by the Bucky Ecklunds of the world. It's why people like him have jobs. The sports media is full of the Al Sharpton types.

It's impossible to predict the future. If they miss they playoffs again do you fire them? If they win the Presidents' Trophy again to you put them in the Hall of Fame? It will depend on the entire season. Do they improve over the offseason. Do the younger players the Sabres will count on continue to improve their game. Will the defense stay healthy and consistent. Does Miller move his game to the next level?

There's too much unknown to give a fair answer to your question. What I can answer is that no one in the Sabres front office or hockey department has done anything to deserve to be fired.

Hate to be the lone voice of dissent but I think we need to find another Carey Price and trade Miller. I've seen enough.

Find another Carey Price? How many goalies over history have contributed significantly at such a young age? Its a very short list. Those types of players are about as common as a Mario Lemieux or a Ray Bourque. Good luck with that search. Yes, everyone wants to find that player who is the best at what he does, but most of the time you have to settle for less. Maybe Miller is the guy, maybe he's not. But at this point, its going to be very difficult to find another option.

I have to ask. If you fire Ruff or Regier who do you replace them with? You have two choices, either a person who has never held the position of coach or GM. The second would be a person who had already failed as a coach and GM and has gotten fired. I can't think of a coach in the league who I would rather have than Ruff. And Regier? Name a GM who has over come as many pitfalls as Regier has in his time in buffalo.

Are you going to make changes on the business end? Like Quinn/Golisano or not you can't deny they have the Sabres are solid footing for the first time in 20 years. You can argue the methods but you can't argue the results. The franchise is healthy and coming of a three year run in which included to 50+ win seasons. How many teams have won more games over the past three seasons, including playoffs?

I know it's not a fans nature to be rational. It's easy to get riled up by the Bucky Ecklunds of the world. It's why people like him have jobs. The sports media is full of the Al Sharpton types.

It's impossible to predict the future. If they miss they playoffs again do you fire them? If they win the Presidents' Trophy again to you put them in the Hall of Fame? It will depend on the entire season. Do they improve over the offseason. Do the younger players the Sabres will count on continue to improve their game. Will the defense stay healthy and consistent. Does Miller move his game to the next level?

There's too much unknown to give a fair answer to your question. What I can answer is that no one in the Sabres front office or hockey department has done anything to deserve to be fired.

By no means was I suggesting firing Ruff. Ruff by far is the best coach in the NHL. If Ruff was coaching somewhere else, he would have won the Stanley Cup at least a couple of times by now. I'm not sold on Regier as GM. I think Regier is a great talent scout, he drafts very well and finds players that fit well into our system. But Regier has never been able to bring in top caliber players. When was the last time we had a top caliber player came to Buffalo...not since Pat LaFontaine. Regier's contract management skills are terrible, and it showed last year. Constant recycling of players does not work. When you have a winning team, you fine tune it so it becomes a champion, and not let go of some of the key parts to it. If we turn it around, I will give credit to sabres management, if we're in the same boat again next year, it's time to fire some people (not Ruff!!!). I always liked John Muckler, and wished things would have worked out for him here in Buffalo. I think Muckler is a better GM than Regier.

What top caliber talent did John Muckler bring into Buffalo?

Are you serious?!? You are joking, right??

Director of Hockey Operations:

Pat LaFontaine

Dominik Hasek

General Manager:

Alex Zhitnik

Michael Peca

...to name a few!!!! :blink:

Are you serious?!? You are joking, right??

Director of Hockey Operations:

Pat LaFontaine

Dominik Hasek

General Manager:

Alex Zhitnik

Michael Peca

...to name a few!!!! :blink:

I guess it all comes down to what director of hockey operations really means, but both of those first two deals were made under Gerry Meehan. If we're going to count Zhitnik and Peca in the top caliber talent category, Darcy should be given the same credit for Briere and Drury.

Every Coacha and GM has failed and gotten fired...Mike Keenan won a Stanley Cup but has been fired just about everywhere..Bottom Line is over time change is needed..Is now the time I dont think so..However when there are collosal mistakes made like last year then in some jobs people do get fired..I believe they have earned the right to fix what they screwed up..I wouldnt give them yrs to fix it though..

By no means was I suggesting firing Ruff. Ruff by far is the best coach in the NHL. If Ruff was coaching somewhere else, he would have won the Stanley Cup at least a couple of times by now. I'm not sold on Regier as GM. I think Regier is a great talent scout, he drafts very well and finds players that fit well into our system. But Regier has never been able to bring in top caliber players. When was the last time we had a top caliber player came to Buffalo...not since Pat LaFontaine. Regier's contract management skills are terrible, and it showed last year. Constant recycling of players does not work. When you have a winning team, you fine tune it so it becomes a champion, and not let go of some of the key parts to it. If we turn it around, I will give credit to sabres management, if we're in the same boat again next year, it's time to fire some people (not Ruff!!!). I always liked John Muckler, and wished things would have worked out for him here in Buffalo. I think Muckler is a better GM than Regier.

What does this mean? We have had some great teams under Ruff and made the Finals. Are you saying he can't win the Cup here, but can elsewhere? If that is the case he should be let go. What you say does not make much sense.

Bottom Line is over time change is needed..Is now the time I dont think so..However when there are collosal mistakes made like last year then in some jobs people do get fired..I believe they have earned the right to fix what they screwed up..I wouldnt give them yrs to fix it though..

Change just for the sake of change is dumb. Change simply because someone screwed up is reactionary and rarely leads to better things. If there is someone out there that will make your team better, fine.

Regier re-signed with the Sabres only two and a half weeks before Drury & Briere left. Waiting to sign him suggests waiting to sign players comes from higher than Darcy. Given some of the extensions that were then handed out, it appears that lessons have indeed been learned.

What does this mean? We have had some great teams under Ruff and made the Finals. Are you saying he can't win the Cup here, but can elsewhere? If that is the case he should be let go. What you say does not make much sense.

The best coach in NHL history, Scotty Bowman didn't win here (or St. Louis), but won a total of 9 Stanley Cups with other teams. I'm saying that Ruff would have the same success as Bowman. I already stated my other reasons about management.

The best coach in NHL history, Scotty Bowman didn't win here (or St. Louis), but won a total of 9 Stanley Cups with other teams. I'm saying that Ruff would have the same success as Bowman. I already stated my other reasons about management.

By the way....Scotty Bowman said Buffalo is his only regret and he would love to bring the Cup to Buffalo. I think he lives in Amherst....hmnnn?

Oddly enough the only 2 teams he didn't win Stanley Cups with were the 2 teams he was also GM for.

Archived