What is our goal

tom webster

"I?ve always been a guy that if leadership isn?t everywhere, it just can?t come from one person. The co-captaincy seemed to work good for us, with Danny and Dru. In an ideal world, I would like one captain. I just felt that as young as were, to see how guys would react to leadership? we saw a lot of good things. At the end, we were still a very young team."

:blink:

Soooo which is it? "it just can?t come from one person" or "In an ideal world, I would like one captain" I'm confused.

I think he is trying to say that we need to pick up some veteran leadership in the off-season.

Pronger and Ovechkin. <_<

With who we have now, I'm pretty hopeful that we could get away with a lot less than those two guys.

So this is what happens to this board when we don't make the playoffs? Everyone debates the possible meanings of the word"goal". It is going to be a real long off season for us Sabre fans.

If they need to figure out what the goal is we are in worse shape than I thought..I choose not to bother

So this is what happens to this board when we don't make the playoffs? Everyone debates the possible meanings of the word"goal". It is going to be a real long off season for us Sabre fans.

Well we could always talk about the Sabres upcoming games

or about FA since its getting close

or we could discuss Briere, Drury, and Campbell

Welcome to SabresReport circa 2005...

Then I will say something similar to what I said to my father coming out of the lockout. We could be a very good team next year. Our roster is full of guys who can score 20 goals and a few more who can score over 10 goals. If these guys live up to thier potential and grow up before our eyes we will roll 3-4 lines that can score. The defense is the question. If the defense plays well we will make the playoff and challenge for the cup.

Coming out of the lockout I think we had 10-13 players who had more than 10 goals and 7-8 of those guys had 20. This year we had 7-8 guys with over 10 goals (5-6 20 goal scorers) and some others who didn't come close to thier potential and some more injuries.

This team is closer than anyone will give them credit for. This year sucked! But we are not far off. Make a few good moves this offseason and we are right back there competing for the cup. I know most people here won't agree but Roy and Pominville are future leaders for this club. Add 1 or 2 more guys and someone who isn't afraid to punch Chris Neil in the face and we can win the cup!

During the press conference, Larry Quinn revealed that Darcy asked him just this week what the goal is.

I think this is a huge revelation. Why would the General Manager ask the Managing Partner what the goal is this far into the process.

My question is: why would the Managing Partner reveal that the General Manager needed to ask that question? If the communication is functional, I can come up with very few reasons for an upper management level subordinate to ask their direct supervisor this question (especially "this far into the process") as a huge portion of the supervisor's job is to make certain that the subordinate knows and understands the goals.

I can come up with no reason for the supervisor to publicly announce this as being a good thing. Because what I am reading from the announcement (and I didn't listen to the press conference; got into the car just after the camaraman needed medical assistance) is an admission that the Managing Partner is not clearly and concisely laying out the goals; or if he is there are multiple contradictory goals.

My question is: why would the Managing Partner reveal that the General Manager needed to ask that question? If the communication is functional, I can come up with very few reasons for an upper management level subordinate to ask their direct supervisor this question (especially "this far into the process") as a huge portion of the supervisor's job is to make certain that the subordinate knows and understands the goals.

I can come up with no reason for the supervisor to publicly announce this as being a good thing. Because what I am reading from the announcement (and I didn't listen to the press conference; got into the car just after the camaraman needed medical assistance) is an admission that the Managing Partner is not clearly and concisely laying out the goals; or if he is there are multiple contradictory goals.

Not only didn't he need to reveal it, he revealed it as part of an answer to a question as to what are the goals of the organization. Not only can't I envision a good reason for Darcy asking the question, I can't think of a good reason for Larry revealing it and Larry is too smart ot do it in error.

Listening to the presser - I heard the "goals" thing much more innocuously, and rhetorically.

As clumsy as it all sounded.

FWIW

X,

I hope you are correct in this. As mentioned, I haven't heard the quote directly and am hoping there is some error in translation (I'll try to listen to the audio vault this weekend), but I just don't see a reason to provide more fodder for those that want to show/prove this admin is inept, which is what this definitely appears to be turning into.

X,

I hope you are correct in this. As mentioned, I haven't heard the quote directly and am hoping there is some error in translation (I'll try to listen to the audio vault this weekend), but I just don't see a reason to provide more fodder for those that want to show/prove this admin is inept, which is what this definitely appears to be turning into.

To expand on this point, a question was asked to Darcy if he has had talks about his own contract since he only has one year to go. Darcy said not yet, and Quinn jumped in and said something along the line of "I talked to Darcy in January and said the job is pretty much his if he wants to stick around in Buffalo", then Quinn laughed out loud and continued "I don't know if he still does, but if he still has a fire in his belly to run a team and has a fire in his belly for Buffalo, then we'd be glad to have him here."

It sounded almost as if Quinn was taunting him to go, or at the very least laughs at the fact Darcy has had to deal with adversity and/or meddling. Maybe I read it wrong, but with the question of goals, the opening when Darcy was snippy about separating questions into coaching, player personel, and ownership, and this outright laughter and lukewarm endorsement....Quinn pretty much seems to not give a cr@p if he steps on Darcy's toes at this point. If he can handle it and wants to stick around, fine.

I just listened to the GR clip as well, and Quinn points out, Golisano isn't in this for a hobby. If he can't make a profit, the Sabres won't be here. Point Blank. Hey, I don't like Quinn, but he was telling it like it is today. There might be a sloppy power struggle going on, but Lindy seems pleased as punch with his team and the job they did this year. I am almost shocked at how much Lindy likes these guys.

This team isn't changing a thing. Maybe they add a veteran to the mix, but no big name. I give them credit for not trying to spin in overdrive, but the moral of the story is, The Sabres are going to be a young team that plays a finesse system and aims to bring families and teenagers out to the rink, and will only spend on salary to the point that they still make a profit. Honest....I don't like it...I think this team is doomed to more failure and mediocrity at best....Go Bills....and here are my Sabres tickets. They defused a lot of my anger, but in the end I don't agree with the plan or have faith in the entire crew.

i heard that comment during the broadcast. how ridiculous. the fact that Darcy had to ask that question, and admit it publicly, is very telling in my opinion. i could understand questions like, is our strategy to win the cup with veterans, high-priced free agents, scoring 300 goals a season, dumping a bunch of $$ in goal and hoping the rest takes care of itself........ but, to ask what the goal is; how can that be a question.

I just listened to the GR clip as well, and Quinn points out, Golisano isn't in this for a hobby. If he can't make a profit, the Sabres won't be here. Point Blank. Hey, I don't like Quinn, but he was telling it like it is today.

In fairness to his position though It wasn't profit for profit's sake, he did express that it was profit for long term viability to keep professional hockey affordable in Buffalo forever.

Of course that is a little hard to fit on a cereal box.

I really think Larry should try to get a night's sleep before any presser. :rolleyes:

In fairness to his position though It wasn't profit for profit's sake, he did express that it was profit for long term viability to keep professional hockey affordable in Buffalo forever.

I really think Larry should try to get a night's sleep before any presser. :rolleyes:

That was the one thing I got from listening was that all three sounded like they just rolled out of bed. I was glad they sounded a little more upbeat on the radio.

By the way "X" , I listened again and I think the "goal" question was anything but innocuous and/or rhetoric

In the same sense, he's crying about what used to be $29 million in salary against $58 million in revenue, to this year of $47 million in salary against $70 million in revenue...while all at the same time, Golisano's $62 million team is now worth $220 million. That is a little inconvienent fact he left out of the equation. How about a little home equity loan, Tom+Larry?

In the same sense, he's crying about what used to be $29 million in salary against $58 million in revenue, to this year of $47 million in salary against $70 million in revenue...while all at the same time, Golisano's $62 million team is now worth $220 million. That is a little inconvienent fact he left out of the equation. How about a little home equity loan, Tom+Larry?

Also, no one ever asks him if his revenue figures include profit sharing.

Not only didn't he need to reveal it, he revealed it as part of an answer to a question as to what are the goals of the organization. Not only can't I envision a good reason for Darcy asking the question, I can't think of a good reason for Larry revealing it and Larry is too smart ot do it in error.

I like that DR is asking this question. Strategies, Missions and Goals (I thought the strategy was to get players to put on a mission to score more goals than the other team during the game (not a season tally).) have been discussed up and down this string,

I think the subtext of the question is: Do you want me to run a team on the cheap with no focus on being a serious contender or do you want me to start investing back in the franchise make some moves and get a Cup in Buffalo?

The sub text of Larry revealing this is that Larry is letting us know that DR and LQ may not be 100% aligned. He knows the fans are unhappy with management. LQ is saying I am the owners right hand man. So to people that think Darcy is an issue I have no problem letting him go. However I would like him to stay and for us to get on the same page and by same page I mean my page.

What that page is is in question. However notice that he didn't answer with whatever it takes to win a cup.

Also mentioned and needs not to be forgotten is that this team is a very talented team. 3rd most goals in the league! Talented Goaltender. They are not far off from being a real contender. Blue Liners are a major need and maybe 1 Federov type of a Spark and this team is ripping up the league again.

Also mentioned and needs not to be forgotten is that this team is a very talented team. 3rd most goals in the league! Talented Goaltender. They are not far off from being a real contender. Blue Liners are a major need and maybe 1 Federov type of a Spark and this team is ripping up the league again.

I'm with you and with only a few shrewd moves they could be a contender next year.

1) Priority number one is aquiring a number one defenseman. Spacek is a good # 2 while Tallinder, Lydman, Weber and Sekera can fill out the rest of the D.

2) Priority number two is movng Max. He has worn out his welcome.

3) Priority number three is aquiring a tough vet forward to provide leadership and accountablilty.

4) Priority number 4 is making Connnolly a spare part. Don't count on him for anything. Have him be the 13th forward, just don't rely on him for anything.

Sabres ... will only spend on salary to the point that they still make a profit.

I don't know about this. If you look at the line-up that they started with (with Teppo, not Pratt), their cap hit was $46.379 million and salary was $48.504 million. This leaves just under $4 million for injury call ups (about $1 million this year) and trade deadline upgrades if they are in position to make a cup run. All told, including swapping Pratt for Teppo, and Campbell for Bernier for a quarter of the year, we still had a cap hit over $45 million. We are not Atlanta ($43.643 million), Columbus ($39.575 million), Nashville ($35.868 million), Islanders ($43.743 million), Phoenix ($37.124 million), San Jose ($41.332 million), Tampa Bay ($42.845 million) and Washington ($41.894 million). In fact, when you take out bonuses that don't count against the cap, we had less cap space than several playoff teams, around the same as several others and only more than a handful. The Sabres are spending money, but some of the money that they spent this year was on the wrong players ($3.333 million for Max, $2.9 million for Connolly, $2.875 million for Lydman, $2 million for Kalinin, even $7.143 million of cap for Vanek wasn't a good deal this year.)

I don't know about this. If you look at the line-up that they started with (with Teppo, not Pratt), their cap hit was $46.379 million and salary was $48.504 million. This leaves just under $4 million for injury call ups (about $1 million this year) and trade deadline upgrades if they are in position to make a cup run. All told, including swapping Pratt for Teppo, and Campbell for Bernier for a quarter of the year, we still had a cap hit over $45 million. We are not Atlanta ($43.643 million), Columbus ($39.575 million), Nashville ($35.868 million), Islanders ($43.743 million), Phoenix ($37.124 million), San Jose ($41.332 million), Tampa Bay ($42.845 million) and Washington ($41.894 million). In fact, when you take out bonuses that don't count against the cap, we had less cap space than several playoff teams, around the same as several others and only more than a handful. The Sabres are spending money, but some of the money that they spent this year was on the wrong players ($3.333 million for Max, $2.9 million for Connolly, $2.875 million for Lydman, $2 million for Kalinin, even $7.143 million of cap for Vanek wasn't a good deal this year.)

Wasnt his cap hit around 10 mill last yr and going down this yr?

In the same sense, he's crying about what used to be $29 million in salary against $58 million in revenue, to this year of $47 million in salary against $70 million in revenue...while all at the same time, Golisano's $62 million team is now worth $220 million. That is a little inconvenient fact he left out of the equation.

It's not an inconvenient fact, it's an irrelevant fact from a business stand point. It has already happened. He could sell the team now and walk away with that increased value. They need to make the best decision going forward. In fact, failing to do so would cause that team value to drop very quickly. Care to guess how much missing the playoffs this year affected that $220 million? Potential buyers will now expect decreasing ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. because of the year that they had.

However, it should be pointed out that the best business decision is not spending as little as possible. They are not trying to operate $10+ million below the cap like some teams, putting the absolute minimum into their team. A better product brings in higher ticket sales, higher merchandise sales, additional playoff game revenue, etc.. The fact is that they are spending as much money as many teams in the playoffs. The real problem is that they have some fat (Max, Timmy, Toni, etc.) who are not playing well enough to justify their cap hits. If they can be unloaded and the right players signed with their money, this team could easily be a contender spending on the same level that they are now.

Wasnt his cap hit around 10 mill last yr and going down this yr?

Cap hit is the average of the contract: $7.143 million. His salary was $10 million this year and will be $8 million next year, follewed by $6.4 million for the remainder of his contract, but his cap hit will stay at $7.143 million for the entire contract.

http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=BUF

Go to WGR550.com and listen to the 2 part interview they did with the station. He says, "Tom Golisano didn't get into this for a hobby. He isn't going to start writing checks to keep this thing going. The team needs to be profitable every year for them to stay in Buffalo."

That's not me saying that.

Archived