Anyone want to puke?

carpandean

Didn't they boo him the entire second half of the season?

A) As far as I remember it, that all changed after the Buffalo game.

B) I don't think Buffalo hates Briere and Dury because a vocal minority have good lungs at HSBC Arena

C) Do you think the whiner line is indicative of Buffalo's true feelings

Abso-freakin-lutely. It's why I don't really see eye to eye with most sports fans.

I hope you are not right about this.

For the record, I was just giving DeLuca a hard time about his post. I really don't agree with him, but I also don't think its worth arguing over.

Why? Briere isn't taking Philly anywhere? Philly doesn't even care about B-Rod. They hate B-Rod in Philly.

I generally agree, though as nfreeman points out, they aren't out yet, so you never know.

Just to be clear for anyone who hasn't read my hundreds of posts stating such, I think letting Briere go was the right move and I don't even think he would be worth $5 million per year. The puke part was mostly another team crediting one of our breakdowns as the turnaround point in their season. The fact that it's a team that finished just ahead of us makes it even worse and the cherry on top is that it happens to be Briere coming out and saying it. Despite having a disappointing year and getting booed, we helped end the slide that had Danny and his new team heading back to cellar. It wasn't meant to be a commentary on any previous decision, just pointing out some disgusting irony.

I'm tired of hearing from some Sabres fans that Briere is overrated, and how some idiots (That's right- IDIOTS!!!!) that boo Briere when he came back to Buffalo. Philly was at the bottom of the NHL last year, with a few key additions (including 2 Sabres, Briere & Biron), now they're a playoff team. Those are the facts.

I'm tired of hearing from some Sabres fans that Briere is overrated, and how some idiots (That's right- IDIOTS!!!!) that boo Briere when he came back to Buffalo. Philly was at the bottom of the NHL last year, with a few key additions (including 2 Sabres, Briere & Biron), now they're a playoff team. Those are the facts.

I think Philly Fan along with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter might disagree with you.

Timonen

Hartnell

Lupul

Upshall

Coburn

Smith

And to a lesser extent Prospal and Modry.

That's a whole hell of a lot of additions. But hey, if you want to pin that big turn around on Biron and Briere, that's your call. Hell, just look at their blueline. Jones and Hatcher are the only ones who had significant playing time with Philly last year and Hatcher missed half of this season.

I think Philly Fan along with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter might disagree with you.

When I said a few key additions, I meant that they added more than just Briere & Biron. In my opinion, they made the right moves to get in the playoffs. We made the wrong moves, and it took us out from being a Stanley Cup contender 2 years in a row to out of the playoffs. We're the 3rd team in NHL history to go from 1st place in the regular season (the year before) to missing the playoffs, that's not a good feeling.

When I said a few key additions, I meant that they added more than just Briere & Biron. In my opinion, they made the right moves to get in the playoffs. We made the wrong moves, and it took us out from being a Stanley Cup contender 2 years in a row to out of the playoffs. We're the 3rd team in NHL history to go from 1st place in the regular season (the year before) to missing the playoffs, that's not a good feeling.

It was a mirage, an illusion that gave everybody a false sense of security. Imagine how everybody would have been screaming bloody murder when the train ran off its lucky track having signed the dudes that left.

Sad part is that everybody involved knew... Except the delusional fans.

It was a mirage, an illusion that gave everybody a false sense of security. Imagine how everybody would have been screaming bloody murder when the train ran off its lucky track having signed the dudes that left.

You know I have heard you spew this sentiment on a few occasions and just laughed it off. Th notion that that team was lucky is just plain laughable. If they would have added a shut down defensemen and center to that team, they would have contended for the Cup for years.

Its a shame, because I really like most of your posts, but for me, and I am only speaking for myself, this sentiment just taints the rest of your posts.

Timonen

Hartnell

Lupul

Upshall

Coburn

Smith

And to a lesser extent Prospal and Modry.

That's a whole hell of a lot of additions. But hey, if you want to pin that big turn around on Biron and Briere, that's your call. Hell, just look at their blueline. Jones and Hatcher are the only ones who had significant playing time with Philly last year and Hatcher missed half of this season.

I seem to remember some fans and posters trying to convince us that most of those guys were old and/or overrated and the Flyers weren't going to get much better. I also seem to remember reading the same things about the Rangers, but they're back in the dance as well.

Sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward... Such is life. Change is good!

More power to Philly... Lets see where it takes them!

At least Philly has a ticket to the dance...like the old NY Lottery marketing slogan - "you've got to be in it to win it..."

This "delusional fan" thinks that is utter and complete BS. I disagree that it was an illusion and the train would have derailed even if we re-signed CD and DB. We'll never know for sure on which one of us is right, and we can argue the hypothetical payroll permutations to death, but I think it's ludicrous to suggest that Buffalo would have missed the playoffs this year with both Danny and Chris, and even more ludicrous to suggest that fans are delusional to think the team would have been better off THIS YEAR without the captains that with them.

I seem to remember some fans and posters trying to convince us that most of those guys were old and/or overrated and the Flyers weren't going to get much better. I also seem to remember reading the same things about the Rangers, but they're back in the dance as well.

At least Philly has a ticket to the dance...like the old NY Lottery marketing slogan - "you've got to be in it to win it..."

This "delusional fan" thinks that is utter and complete BS. I disagree that it was an illusion and the train would have derailed even if we re-signed CD and DB. We'll never know for sure on which one of us is right, and we can argue the hypothetical payroll permutations to death, but I think it's ludicrous to suggest that Buffalo would have missed the playoffs this year with both Danny and Chris, and even more ludicrous to suggest that fans are delusional to think the team would have been better off THIS YEAR without the captains that with them.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly!!!

Briere can talk all he wants but the fact is, he had very little to do with the team's resurgence. His line at $10 million this season.

79 games

31 goals

41 assists

72 points

MINUS 22

27 PP points. 45 reg strength points, which means he was on the ice for 67 reg strength goals against (simplifying to make point)

I'd agree that many other additions added to the Flyers making the playoffs, not Briere solely. Just as Briere being gone from Buffalo is not the sole reason we missed by a few points.

Washington in 5 maybe 6.

We're the 3rd team in NHL history to go from 1st place in the regular season (the year before) to missing the playoffs, that's not a good feeling.

And the previous two teams to have that distinction, won the Stanley Cup the following year!!!!!

but I think it's ludicrous to suggest that Buffalo would have missed the playoffs this year with both Danny and Chris, and even more ludicrous to suggest that fans are delusional to think the team would have been better off THIS YEAR without the captains that with them.

I wasn't aware that Danny would have signed a one year deal. <_<

They tried to sign Chris and should have found somebody to replace what he took with him when he left. Messing up that negotiation and not doing anything to correct the situation after it fell through were their mistakes last summer. Teppo going out, taking what little was left of their veteran leadership compounded the problem.

While this year's team would probably/likely have been better off with Danny -- we needed one more true center because Connolly couldn't be relied on to play 75+ games -- that doesn't mean signing him for even 5 year, $25 million (which in the Summer of 2006 nobody would have said was a good idea, and he most likely would not have taken in the Spring of 2007 when he had proved to some people that he was worth it), much less a contract approaching what he got from the Flyers.

I hear a lot about Briere's overrated, and his plus/minus is bad, but the facts are Briere had over 90 points in his last season with us (the most since Pat LaFontaine, 95-96 season), plus he was our best shootout scorer. I feel he played better with us, than Philly and would rather have him & Drury back on the team for their skills and most importantly their leadership abilities.

I hear a lot about Briere's overrated, and his plus/minus is bad, but the facts are Briere had over 90 points in his last season with us (the most since Pat LaFontaine, 95-96 season), plus he was our best shootout scorer. I feel he played better with us, than Philly and would rather have him & Drury back on the team for their skills and most importantly their leadership abilities.

That would be Kotalik.

Archived