GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Claude Balls

I stand corrected ... I guess <_<

I realize that dialects develop over time, but this really bothers me. Basically, if enough people make the same mistake, then it's not a mistake anymore. When your etymology is "uh ... people probably mixed up these two words", that's just sad. It's a freaking double negative. It literally means "without without consideration."

same difference... :ph34r:

My new definition: a Kotalik hattrick is a one-time goal, a lazy penalty and a bad give-away. I didn't see the first, but it sounds like the Sabres were playing very well until he took yet another hooking penalty.

That was a good penalty. Weber got caught pinching and the Habs had numbers on the Sabres. He temporarily saved a goal

I stand corrected ... I guess <_<

I realize that dialects develop over time, but this really bothers me. Basically, if enough people make the same mistake, then it's not a mistake anymore. When your etymology is "uh ... people probably mixed up these two words", that's just sad. It's a freaking double negative. It literally means "without without consideration."

Inflammable means flammable?

I don't want to single out Mr. "I guarantee we'll make the playoffs", but down the stretch when the team needed him most, HE SUCKED. I don't care how young he is, the pressures of the big contract, the new baby, blah blah blah...

"Snowpants"(This is his new nickname based on how much time he spends falling down to the ice upon any contact) Vanek, was terrible. Based on his talent level, current contract and track record, anything less than 40+ goals and 80+ points is not acceptable and he didn't come close to either of those numbers this year. Combine that with the fact that he avoids contact like the plague(not as bad as his first two years, but way below average) and his willingness to give a 100% and the Sabres may have an albatross on their hands for the next 6 years.

Other game thoughts...

-Until the Sabres commit to playing their own end and Miller raises his game to another level, this team is simply spinning its wheels. Maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they miss, but serious Cup contenders? I think not!

-Did I hear the Canadiens fans singing the "na na na hey hey goodbye" song at the end of the 2nd period? If so, F**K THEM! I hope they get bounced in the 1st round.

-I don't know what the percent of blame is Miller and what percent is team defense, but the bottom line is that too many pucks end up in the Sabres net, where the same shots at the other end of the rink don't.

-I really really really hope that Kotalik and Max have one game left in their Sabre careers.

I don't want to single out Mr. "I guarantee we'll make the playoffs", but down the stretch when the team needed him most, HE SUCKED. I don't care how young he is, the pressures of the big contract, the new baby, blah blah blah...

"Snowpants"(This is his new nickname based on how much time he spends falling down to the ice upon any contact) Vanek, was terrible. Based on his talent level, current contract and track record, anything less than 40+ goals and 80+ points is not acceptable and he didn't come close to either of those numbers this year. Combine that with the fact that he avoids contact like the plague(not as bad as his first two years, but way below average) and his willingness to give a 100% and the Sabres may have an albatross on their hands for the next 6 years.

March/April combined stats: 16 GP, 6 G, 3 A, -9. Considering that half his goals came in one game...

-Until the Sabres commit to playing their own end and Miller raises his game to another level, this team is simply spinning its wheels. Maybe they make the playoffs, maybe they miss, but serious Cup contenders? I think not!
I think that was the biggest difference this year. The last two seasons those teams could lock it down defensively when needed - this year's team treated defensive-zone play as if it were something beneath them. Miller can (and I think he will) raise his game, provided they do focus a little more on defense and find a capable backup to take a little pressure off him. He faced a ton of shots this year - 2104 after yesterday, 2nd-most in the league - and the 30+ consecutive starts in Feb - April was waaaaaay too much. Even two nights off down that stretch would have probably helped him immensely.

-Did I hear the Canadiens fans singing the "na na na hey hey goodbye" song at the end of the 2nd period? If so, F**K THEM! I hope they get bounced in the 1st round.

Loved those d-bags cheering while Sekera was down to. Way to show your class, Montreal. Wonder if you guys were enablers to psycho Patrick Roy's rage...

-I don't know what the percent of blame is Miller and what percent is team defense, but the bottom line is that too many pucks end up in the Sabres net, where the same shots at the other end of the rink don't.
See above.

-I really really really hope that Kotalik and Max have one game left in their Sabre careers.

I am hopeful that Connolly and Kalinin are on that list, but that's a lot of turnover and probably not likely.

I am hopeful that Connolly and Kalinin are on that list, but that's a lot of turnover and probably not likely.

I am starting to lean towards keeping Connolly for the last year of his contract. It will not be easy to find a #2 scoring center without laying out some big money. I am willing to make this concession :D, as long as Max and Kotalik are traded in the off-season and 1 veteran brought in to play on the 3rd line. Kalinin is a no-brainer. He is a goner IMO and I would be shocked if he was re-signed regardless of the dollar amount.

I am starting to lean towards keeping Connolly for the last year of his contract. It will not be easy to find a #2 scoring center without laying out some big money. I am willing to make this concession :D, as long as Max and Kotalik are traded in the off-season and 1 veteran brought in to play on the 3rd line. Kalinin is a no-brainer. He is a goner IMO and I would be shocked if he was re-signed regardless of the dollar amount.

Yes Yes Yes ohhh Yes. :blush:

I just can't stomach the thought of another season of Connolly, Max and Kalinin in a Buffalo uniform. Connolly is very good when healthy, but given his fragile physical state I feel like paying his salary is like throwing money down a rat hole.

I can handle the idea of keeping Kotalik as strictly a 3rd-liner and PP guy if Lindy promises to nail his behind to the bench at critical points in the game - or to scratch him altogether when we play a team with a good PP.

Archived