GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Claude Balls

I couldn't wait til the morning to talk about this game. The Sabres cannot possibly take another game to the limit like they did against Toronto. How do you come any closer to ending your season than that? Miller has been mediocre more times than not this year, but he kept his team in it when they needed him the most. He was stellar in that shootout even after two Sabres hit back to back posts. Max has been another disappointment, but came through as well for the team. Kotalik was money as usual on the shootout.

As for tonight's game, I really think that shootout will boost Miller's confidence and he may have his best game in a long time. I don't see a shutout just because of Montreal's PP, but I think even strength he will be a wall. I'm hoping that goal by Max kickstarts him as well, but I'm not too sold on that happening. I'm thinking the Sabres come out on top by more than one goal in this game. 3-1 or 4-2, but I wouldn't be surprised if they light up the scoreboard with 6 or 7 either.

The big question will be whether "Hello Numminen" plays or not. I don't know who would sit, but I would think probably Paetsch. Either way it's gonna be a dandy and keep the blood pressure medication nearby.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!

Two things to remember:

1) STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX!!!! That means you Al. Don't even give the refs the excuse to make the call. If you take a penalty, it better be to save a goal because chances are pretty good that the PP will lead to one.

2) Montreal gets a PP at the end when they pull the goalie, so a one goal lead is not enough.

I thought we outplayed Montreal the other night and it was odd-man situations (5-on-4, then 6-on-5) that killed us. If we can stay completely out of box, I like our chances, but every PP opportunity that we give them reduces those chances substantially.

As I said in Tuesday's GDT, just make the other teams (Bos, Phi, Wa) eliminate us, don't do it for them. That's all we can ask from our boys at this point.

We won't lose tonight. There's just too much going our way right now. The sabres will still have revenge on their minds, plus they have the emotional lift of teppo coming back. There shouldn't be a lot of scoreboard watching tonight either. The caps are the only team that's playing. I'm very confident for tonight's game. Win tonight, and they have a chance to control their own destiny on saturday. That's all we can ask for at this point. LETS GO BUFFALO!

My gameplan would be alot of Paille, Pominville, Roy, Hecht aggresive.

Bernier, Al, use your body in deep; crash net all night, focus on taking Hamrlik out

Max with Kaleta & Mair, I think this line is hilarious, but works.

Goose, just finish your checks all night and win your faceoffs, thats all.

Miller, please dont over compensate.

Lindy, stay away from the 4-1 scheme.

I too believe, one of these games will be a 5-6 or 7 goal performance.

Give em' hell

3 Things:

1. STAY OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX!! Cannot be any more clear than that

2. If you have the lead, HOLD ON TO THE LEAD!!!! We cannot take the lead and let them get back in

3. JUST WIN BABY!!!

We have to win. The scoreboard was really generous for us last night. So take care of business and win this critical game. I'm looking at you Bernier to take over this game. It's in Montreal, you're playing against the Habs, and your family and friends will be watching. Show the Quebecers what you've got and make them proud. Everyone else, it's time to step up. Spacek, you're playing tonight, give us something on the PP cause we need you. We need a huge game. Let's carry the momentum from Tuesday and the scoreboard to get us a huge win tonight. Absolutely critical. This is the biggest game of the season, let's get the win!

Stay out of the box, yes.

Not that it matters because they have more wins, but I'd like to see Leafs beat the Sens tonight. If anyone's noticed they're all the way down in 6th now.

(But they can beat the B's Friday)

I'd hate Ottawa. Would like nothing more to see them tumble. But, they have been shut out in back-to-back games. We need them to pumped up and capable of beating a determined and under-rated Boston team.

I'd hate Ottawa. Would like nothing more to see them tumble. But, they have been shut out in back-to-back games. We need them to pumped up and capable of beating a determined and under-rated Boston team.

Ottawa is tied with Boston for points (but with the tie-breaker), one ahead of the Flyers (who own the tie-breaker) and two ahead of the Capitals (who own the tie-breaker). Even if Washington doesn't get a point tonight, if Ottawa loses their last two games the Caps can pass them with a win on Saturday since they swept the season series against the Sens. So, if Ottawa loses tonight, then when they play Boston on Friday, they will be faced with this:

(1) a loss would push Boston past them, dropping them to the 7th spot

(2) a win on Friday or Sunday or one OT loss in either by the Flyers would let Philly pass them, dropping them to the 8th spot

(3) a win tonight or Saturday by the Capitals or two OT losses, would let Washington pass them, knocking them out of the playoffs.

Basically, a loss to Toronto tonight would make their game against Boston all but a must win. If they lose both, the chances are very good that they will watch themselves get knocked out this weekend after starting 15-2 (talk about a collapse). Whereas as a win tonight would all but lock them in (it will do it if the Caps don't win tonight, which we really need.) Which team would you rather have playing against Boston on Friday?

Ottawa is tied with Boston for points (but with the tie-breaker), one ahead of the Flyers (who own the tie-breaker) and two ahead of the Capitals (who own the tie-breaker). Even if Washington doesn't get a point tonight, if Ottawa loses their last two games the Caps can pass them with a win on Saturday since they swept the season series against the Sens. So, if Ottawa loses tonight, then when they play Boston on Friday, they will be faced with this:

(1) a loss would push Boston past them, dropping them to the 7th spot

(2) a win on Friday or Sunday or one OT loss in either by the Flyers would let Philly pass them, dropping them to the 8th spot

(3) a win tonight or Saturday by the Capitals or two OT losses, would let Washington pass them, knocking them out of the playoffs.

Basically, a loss to Toronto tonight would make their game against Boston all but a must win. If they lose both, the chances are very good that they will watch themselves get knocked out this weekend after starting 15-2 (talk about a collapse). Whereas as a win tonight would all but lock them in (it will do it if the Caps don't win tonight, which we really need.) Which team would you rather have playing against Boston on Friday?

The must-win desperate Ottawa team that won their first 15 games. I might not mind a loss tonight against Toronto if that means they are concerned and play desperate hockey against the Bruins. All I care about is the Bruins losing to Ottawa and the Flyers losing to the Devils and Pittsburgh. Even if those two things happen, it is worthless if Buffalo does not win tonight, so we have to take care of business first.

Guest Sloth
The must-win desperate Ottawa team that won their first 15 games. I might not mind a loss tonight against Toronto if that means they are concerned and play desperate hockey against the Bruins. All I care about is the Bruins losing to Ottawa and the Flyers losing to the Devils and Pittsburgh. Even if those two things happen, it is worthless if Buffalo does not win tonight, so we have to take care of business first.

Well put. The Sabres just have to worry about themselves tonight. This is game 7 for Buffalo.

Again, for the third consecutive night...

I think tonight's Game 6. The Sabres were in the series down 3-0. They won against Boston, and they won against Toronto, and the scoreboard worked out last night. Tonight's Game 6. They lose tonight, they are eliminated. They win tonight and the scoreboard works out tomorrow, then we go into Game 7 on Saturday. Either way, every game is an elimination game for the Sabres. They have to win and they have to get help.

I think tonight's Game 6. The Sabres were in the series down 3-0. They won against Boston, and they won against Toronto, and the scoreboard worked out last night. Tonight's Game 6. They lose tonight, they are eliminated. They win tonight and the scoreboard works out tomorrow, then we go into Game 7 on Saturday. Either way, every game is an elimination game for the Sabres. They have to win and they have to get help.

Lol, it's more like we were down 10-0 in a best of 21 tag-team series. Now, it's about 10-6. A win tonight makes it 10-7. Then, they need to tag out with NJ and Ottawa tomorrow, who could make it 10-9, tag to get back in on Saturday with a chance for 10-10 and, finally, tag Pitt back in for Sunday in hopes of winning 11-10.

(Yeah, I ignored the Caps to make the story work better, but there could be help there, too.)

I'm loving Steve Bernier right now.

Steve Bernier wanted to focus solely on the playoffs this week, so even his family members are skipping the Quebec native?s first game in his home province.

The 23-year-old right winger, acquired from San Jose at the trade deadline, makes his Montreal debut tonight. It?s normally a huge event for a Quebecker, but with all the postseason hoopla, Bernier stuck with on-ice matters.

?I?m very excited. It?s going to be a first, but it?s not time to think about that,? he said. ?I think my family understands right now it?s not time for it. My mom?s not coming. My brother?s not coming. . . . I told them it?s all right. I have to think about the game, and that?s what I?m going to do.?

I must say, although I don't generally practice schadenfreude, I'd be fairly pleased if Ottawa choked its way all the way out of the playoffs.

I subscribe to the notion that schadenfreude is acceptable under a few specific circumstances:

-- I'm a UNC fan, so Dook losing is almost as pleasurable as Carolina winning;

-- I'm a Bills fan, so seeing the Pats*, Fish, and Jets lose is always a good thing; and

-- I'm a Sabres fan, so a Sens, Laffs, Phlyers, or Canes loss is generally greeted with a smile. For some reason I don't feel quite the same way about the Habs or Bruins.

Archived