Previous Year Prez. Winner That Misses The Playoffs The Next Year

ExiledInIllinois

Has anybody noticed?

1968-1969=MTL (not Prez., but led league in points... The trophy wasn't born yet) (won Cup)

1969-1970= Missed

19970-1971=Bingo! The Cup! vs. CHI

1991-1992=NYR Prez. winner

1992-1993=Missed

1993-1994= Bingo! The Cup! vs. VAN

What do you think... Is there a trend here?

;) ;)

maybe I need to step away for awhile, deja-vu is rampant

'23-'24 - Ottawa top regular season team. Missed playoffs (by 1 point; top 3 teams of 6 qualified) in '24-'25.

'24-'25 - Hamilton top regular season team. Team folded that off-season, replaced by NY Americans. Amerks missed playoffs.

'30-'31 - Boston top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '31-'32.

'32-'33 - Boston tied for top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '33-'34.

'36-'37 - Detroit top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '37-'38.

'41-'42 - New York top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in league in '42-'43.

'46-'47 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs with 5th place finish in '47-'48.

'68-'69 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs on tiebreaker w/ NY in '69-'70.

'85-'86 - Presidents' Trophy introduced. Edmonton initial winner.

'91-'92 - Rangers win Presidents' Trophy. Missed playoffs with worst record in Patrick Div. in '92-'93.

'03-'04 - Detroit wins Presidents' Trophy. No season played next year; missed playoffs tied for worst record in league in '04-'05.

So, unless it's getting very far into semantics, there has only been 1 Presidents' Trophy winner to miss the playoffs the next season. Top regular season team missing the playoffs the next year was pretty common prior to the Korean War. It's only happened twice since then, so far.

thanks t-t

Should be noted that up to the 1969 team we are talking about a competition between six or less teams.

Nope.

'23-'24 - 4 teams.

'24-'25 - 6 teams.

'30-'31 - 10 teams.

'31-'32 - 8 teams.

'32-'33 - 9 teams.

'33-'34 - 9 teams.

'36-'37 - 8 teams.

'37-'38 - 8 teams.

'41-'42 - 7 teams.

'42-'43 - '66-'67 - 6 teams.

'68-'69 & '69-'70 - 12 teams.

Nope.

'23-'24 - 4 teams.

'24-'25 - 6 teams.

'30-'31 - 10 teams.

'31-'32 - 8 teams.

'32-'33 - 9 teams.

'33-'34 - 9 teams.

'36-'37 - 8 teams.

'37-'38 - 8 teams.

'41-'42 - 7 teams.

'42-'43 - '66-'67 - 6 teams.

'68-'69 & '69-'70 - 12 teams.

The 68-69 teams were essentially a battle between 6 teams because the split the two divisions one consisting of all the established teams and the six expansion teams.(that was my point with them)

I would have to do some refreshing of memory of pre-40's to jusge how even the bottom teams were.

The 68-69 teams were essentially a battle between 6 teams because the split the two divisions one consisting of all the established teams and the six expansion teams.(that was my point with them)

I would have to do some refreshing of memory of pre-40's to jusge how even the bottom teams were.

Check out the playoff format during WWII... Seriously flawed! Probably the reason why the Leafs were able to come back from a 0-3 deficit...

The NHL has been a bush league forever!

Am I the only one starting to hate the fact that this team actually won the damn President's Trophy in the first place?

Nope, not the only one. In fact, I wasn't too excited about it last year. They seemed to need to be knocked down a little before the playoffs to know that they couldn't skate through them. Unfortunately, they weren't.

Nope, not the only one. In fact, I wasn't too excited about it last year. They seemed to need to be knocked down a little before the playoffs to know that they couldn't skate through them. Unfortunately, they weren't.

That just points the fact that they are really playing this year like last year's team! Even without the controversial two! They were just flat out lucky last year!

The ten game winning streak was exciting as it was happening, but was probably the worse thing for the team. They just got to confident and thought they could win every game even if they only played a period or two. It was a disturbing trend that started towards the end of the streak, where they would only plays spells of the game. Even with out their two leaders they were unable to get rebalanced prior to the playoffs. I do think they responded finally in the Ottawa series but it was too late. IIRC they actually were the better team in game 3 but just couldn't pull out the win., and coming back from three down is always very difficult. The real missed opportunity for the cup was 2005-06, and I think most posters here would agree with that. They were one of the grittiest (not necessarily the toughest team, but they werewilling to do all the things needed to win a game) and talented teams I have every had the pleasure of watching. Not as many people talk about losing Dumont and Greer. However, the loss of those two was probably as big if not bigger than that of Drury and Briere.

The ten game winning streak was exciting as it was happening, but was probably the worse thing for the team. They just got to confident and thought they could win every game even if they only played a period or two. It was a disturbing trend that started towards the end of the streak, where they would only plays spells of the game. Even with out their two leaders they were unable to get rebalanced prior to the playoffs. I do think they responded finally in the Ottawa series but it was too late. IIRC they actually were the better team in game 3 but just couldn't pull out the win., and coming back from three down is always very difficult. The real missed opportunity for the cup was 2005-06, and I think most posters here would agree with that. They were one of the grittiest (not necessarily the toughest team, but they werewilling to do all the things needed to win a game) and talented teams I have every had the pleasure of watching. Not as many people talk about losing Dumont and Greer. However, the loss of those two was probably as big if not bigger than that of Drury and Briere.

Totally agree Dumont and Grier and '06!

Wow imagine that and Briere, Drury, and Campbell were all the 'leaders' on the team then.

Wow imagine that and Briere, Drury, and Campbell were all the 'leaders' on the team then.

Again... True leaders don't leave for their own personal reasons/gains. Blame what you want, in the end... That is why they didn't win the Cup in 2006.

Adapt and overcome.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

~R. Frost

You would have also thought the ten game LOSING streak that we had this year would have taught them that you have to work hard every night. It's frusterating seeing the tallent there and see us blow games. How could we possibly be in the top five in goals scored in the league and probably miss the playoffs? I know, obviously defense. Let's get better this off season for a change.....

Plus they were considered the underdogs in '06. They finished 4th, but just a handful of points behind Ottawa in the division, so the world was drooling over how great the Senators were and paid no attention to Buffalo. My guess is this is what motivated them in the '06 run and the effort was 100% there.

In '07, I probably have to agree with you. It seemed like they played every game thinking they could give 85% and come away with the win. I'll have to disagree about Game 3 in Ottawa, though. I thought there was no desperation in their play and it looked like they figured they'll get lucky bounce and everything would be fine.

Regarding the President's Trophy, it was nice to have, but I honestly never cared for it. All it really meant to me was that they finished with more points than anyone else and they'd have added pressure to win the cup.

You would have also thought the ten game LOSING streak that we had this year would have taught them that you have to work hard every night. It's frusterating seeing the tallent there and see us blow games. How could we possibly be in the top five in goals scored in the league and probably miss the playoffs? I know, obviously defense. Let's get better this off season for a change.....

That, and a goaltender than quite obviously isn't happy with said defense, and who obviously isn't Marty Brodeur.

Miller's been beaten to death at this point of the season, he gives up two or more easy goals every night he wouldn't give up if he had a backup capable of playing every 4th or 5th game, and the way he talks in the press, I think it's quite obvious he's thinking he'll get no help from his defense.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Marty. I don't miss his salary for the number of games he played though.

Archived