Official Keep Hope Alive-Still Not Out Of It Thread!

ExiledInIllinois

How do you know what that feels like? :ph34r: Sry, couldn't resist. FWIW, we own the tiebreaker with the Caps

I'm about to lose all sense of Christian decorum (and inkman knowns where I'm coming from), but I have to say this to the tool known as InRodWeTrust:

GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO there's no "final judgement" to make. Dude's a winner, he has been at every level, has a ton of hardware to show for it, has a ton of clutch goals and is generally regarded as a great leader everywhere he goes. Whether he has a Conn Smythe playoff run or the NYR are out in 4 games won't change his reputation or accomplishments one bit.

Maybe given the opportunity he would pick the Rangers over Buffalo every time. But I truly believe that had the FO not screwed the pooch he never would have had to make that decision, and that's the big screwup.

I'm assuming you're a Sabres fan, since you're on here and discussing our team, so I have to ask: if you were somewhere else - Columbus, for example - and you really liked it there, your wife liked it there, you had a good team around you - but the Sabres came calling with with an offer that was $10-15M more than what you thought you were going to get from your current team - you wouldn't jump? My God I'd be on my way back to Buffalo so fast the news crews would have to do my exit interviews on the airport tarmac.

I can understand the debate on whether the number was this that or the other thing and I can undertsand those that don't believe the Rangers were a player until the last minute but I can't understand how the people who believe Drury was going to New York no matter what, can reconcile the fact that Larry Quinn himself admits that Buffalo failed when it came to getting a deal done.

IMO there's no "final judgement" to make. Dude's a winner, he has been at every level, has a ton of hardware to show for it, has a ton of clutch goals and is generally regarded as a great leader everywhere he goes. Whether he has a Conn Smythe playoff run or the NYR are out in 4 games won't change his reputation or accomplishments one bit.

Maybe given the opportunity he would pick the Rangers over Buffalo every time. But I truly believe that had the FO not screwed the pooch he never would have had to make that decision, and that's the big screwup.

I'm assuming you're a Sabres fan, since you're on here and discussing our team, so I have to ask: if you were somewhere else - Columbus, for example - and you really liked it there, your wife liked it there, you had a good team around you - but the Sabres came calling with with an offer that was $10-15M more than what you thought you were going to get from your current team - you wouldn't jump? My God I'd be on my way back to Buffalo so fast the news crews would have to do my exit interviews on the airport tarmac.

When he won the cup, wasn't Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic on the team. Oh, I forgot about Ray Bourque. I'm not sayin' he's not good and would rather he was on the Sabres. I'm just sayin' that he wasn't the reason they won.

Also, he was already in Buffalo and we matched NY's offer. HE chose NY.

When he won the cup, wasn't Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg, Milan Hejduk, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic on the team. Oh, I forgot about Ray Bourque. I'm not sayin' he's not good and would rather he was on the Sabres. I'm just sayin' that he wasn't the reason they won.

You're missing the point. He was a UFA and had the chance to play for the team he has loved since he was a little kid. How hard is it to say no to the team you dreamed about playing for? Besides, it never should have gotten to the point where we had to call him at the last minute and try to match the Rangers' ridiculous offer. Again, if it was me and current team X called to match Buffalo's offer, it wouldn't even be a decision.

And for the record, for as much as I love watching the guy and wish he was still in Buffalo, I am glad he didn't take up our offer to match and get $7M per from the Sabres. That would mean we'd be losing someone - probably Vanek when Edmonton came calling - but it could have potentially cost us Roy or maybe Pominville. I thought we could get Dru in the $5-6M range for four-six years. That's part of the reason that the whole story ticks me off - because if it is even remotely true that they agreed on 5-$21M, then they should have had the contract signed THAT DAY. It should have never come to the point that Dru stopped negotiating or wanted to test FA, or even gave the Rangers a chance to sniff around for a guy who professed his love for the Garden.

As for who was on his team in Colorado - so what? He had some great players on that team. I never said he was the reason they won the Cup. But he definitely did his part, scoring 11-5-16 and 2 GWG in 23 games that playoff season.

Drury clearly stated that he wanted to play for the hockey team that he'd grown up being a fan of. Well, he got his wish. I just hope that he's prepared to face the music and that he will not win the Cup this year. The Rangers just don't have all the pieces of the puzzle together.

It just goes to show where his loyalties are.

You're missing the point. He was a UFA and had the chance to play for the team he has loved since he was a little kid. How hard is it to say no to the team you dreamed about playing for? Besides, it never should have gotten to the point where we had to call him at the last minute and try to match the Rangers' ridiculous offer. Again, if it was me and current team X called to match Buffalo's offer, it wouldn't even be a decision.

And for the record, for as much as I love watching the guy and wish he was still in Buffalo, I am glad he didn't take up our offer to match and get $7M per from the Sabres. That would mean we'd be losing someone - probably Vanek when Edmonton came calling - but it could have potentially cost us Roy or maybe Pominville. I thought we could get Dru in the $5-6M range for four-six years. That's part of the reason that the whole story ticks me off - because if it is even remotely true that they agreed on 5-$21M, then they should have had the contract signed THAT DAY. It should have never come to the point that Dru stopped negotiating or wanted to test FA, or even gave the Rangers a chance to sniff around for a guy who professed his love for the Garden.

As for who was on his team in Colorado - so what? He had some great players on that team. I never said he was the reason they won the Cup. But he definitely did his part, scoring 11-5-16 and 2 GWG in 23 games that playoff season.

I'm not missing the point and I agree with everything you said. As for why it matters who he played with, the original statement was that he was over-rated and I still believe that. He did his part, but lots of guys do their part on winning teams that you never hear from again. We're just so starved for stars in Buffalo they we go overboard sometimes.

I'm not missing the point and I agree with everything you said. As for why it matters who he played with, the original statement was that he was over-rated and I still believe that. He did his part, but lots of guys do their part on winning teams that you never hear from again. We're just so starved for stars in Buffalo they we go overboard sometimes.

Drury here - ecf twice and pesidents trophy

Drury not here - 20th out of 30th.

Yup overrated

Sorry, just not buying the word overrated. Overrated players don't have resumes that include a Stanley Cup, the Calder Memorial Trophy, the Hobey Baker Memorial Award (only player in NHL history to win both the Calder and Hobey Baker) an Olympic silver medal, 15 career playoff GW goals...

We might go overboard for stars in Buffalo but Drury was/is legit. We also go way overboard in slamming former players when they leave town - some deserve it (Kozlov) some don't. I don't think Drury deserves it, but that's just my opinion.

Drury here - ecf twice and pesidents trophy

Drury not here - 20th out of 30th.

Yup overrated

Slight oversimplification don't you think?

(Note: not disagreeing that we would have been better with him on the team this season, but a lot of things changed over the last two years with the team and the league.)

Slight oversimplification don't you think?

(Note: not disagreeing that we would have been better with him on the team this season, but a lot of things changed over the last two years with the team and the league.)

I've been reading this board for awhile and the rest of the guys that left really suck so I surmised that the only difference was the over rated Drury.

BTW - of course its an over-simplification.

Sorry, just not buying the word overrated. Overrated players don't have resumes that include a Stanley Cup, the Calder Memorial Trophy, the Hobey Baker Memorial Award (only player in NHL history to win both the Calder and Hobey Baker) an Olympic silver medal, 15 career playoff GW goals...

We might go overboard for stars in Buffalo but Drury was/is legit. We also go way overboard in slamming former players when they leave town - some deserve it (Kozlov) some don't. I don't think Drury deserves it, but that's just my opinion.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway, to get this thread back on track, we're not dead yet. And it's going to be great when we beat the Rangers in the playoffs this year. :lol:

I've been reading this board for awhile and the rest of the guys that left really suck so I surmised that the only difference was the over rated Drury.

It's funny, I was thinking as I was typing "he's going to come back with 'but I thought Briere and Campbell sucked.'" I give you enough credit to assume you know that we (most of us anyway) didn't say that they sucked, just that they weren't $5-7 million per year good.

The season is hanging by its last threads. I wonder if Danny and Dru know they are turning out the lights in Buffalo? Danny has the OT winner against us and then another big one the other night. Dru had it last night. All the more reason to send ex-Sabres out West if at all possible.

Time to take out the Leafs. Going to miss this one.

I want Sunday afternoon, PHL-PIT to be meaningful.

Go Sabres. Live another day...

I think this would be the most likely scenario for the Sabres to make the playoffs:

Tuesday:

Buf over Tor

Car over Was (in regulation)

Wednesday:

NJ over Bos (could be in OT)

Thursday:

Buf over Mon

TB over Was (could be in OT)

Friday:

OTT over Bos (in regulation)

Saturday:

Buf over Bos (in regulation)

This is not the only possible scenario, but it shows that the help the Sabres need is not outside of the realm of reality. The teams we need to win are playoff teams (except for TB).

A win over the Leafs would at least keep hope alive for one more day and put more pressure on the Bruins. GO SABRES!!!

Give it up. Season is over, was over this off-season before the regular season even began. Maybe missing out on the playoffs and making NHL history in an extremely negative way will show mgmt that they havent exactly set a new business model for off-season behavior and force them to get their act together.

Give it up. Season is over, was over this off-season before the regular season even began. Maybe missing out on the playoffs and making NHL history in an extremely negative way will show mgmt that they havent exactly set a new business model for off-season behavior and force them to get their act together.

While I agree with this, I cannot bring myself to root against them. I try t not to watch but i find myself at least checking it out, if only with the dvr speed at 2.

Being the third to do something (miss the playoffs after winning the President's Trophy) in 23 years (first PT was given in 1985) isn't exactly "making history". It sucks, but "making history" would be the first one to do it.

I don't understand why people think that missing the playoffs by a few points will send some kind of wake up call to ownership and the front office. All it will do is tick off the fans and cost the team millions in playoff revenues.

I would rather have them make the playoffs to at least give guys like Weber, Sekera, and Kaleta a taste of the post-season. I think they could give the Habs a run for their money in the 1st round or at least make it entertaining. Yes, the chances of it happening are slim, but we will have the entire playoffs, off-season, pre-season and regular season to gripe about it.

I think they could give the Habs a run for their money in the 1st round or at least make it entertaining.

I think they could give them a run for their money if they average one penalty or less per game. Might have to bench Kotalik for the second half of the third period in each game to do it.

Archived