Official Keep Hope Alive-Still Not Out Of It Thread!

ExiledInIllinois

KISS!=Keep It Simple Stupid!

:D

The Sabres are still not out of it... All they need to do is run the table the last 3! Are you listening Sabres?

Oh... And the "simple" part. One of these teams needs to lose ALL their remaining games... I said ONE... Correct me if I am wrong.

Carolina... Yes... CAROLINA! Believe it or not, at 90 points... This may be the best shot at getting in if BFLO runs the table. YES YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

NYR

PHI

BOS

Not sure how the tiebreakers would work with SOL's factored in for those teams... Because, I think if all this happens BFLO would have 40 wins also...??

See... It is really simple... And BFLO doesn't really have to worry about WAS too much if they knock CAR from the division lead!

Really simple, aye?

:lol: :lol:

I like your positivity!

To get in, we need to pass two teams. Washington, we can catch without them losing out (we can actually catch them without the Sabres winning out). The rest, we need them to lose all of their games (and there are limits on OT losses) to catch them. We can't pass Washington and Carolina, because one will get the SE division champ spot. So, it's Buffalo wins out and either:

1) Washington loses at least two and one of Boston, Rangers and Flyers loses out (below limits on OT losses)

2) Two of Carolina, Boston, Rangers and Flyers loses out (again, below limits on OT losses)

I like your positivity!

To get in, we need to pass two teams. Washington, we can catch without them losing out (we can actually catch them without the Sabres winning out). The rest, we need them to lose all of their games (and there are limits on OT losses) to catch them. We can't pass Washington and Carolina, because one will get the SE division champ spot. So, it's Buffalo wins out and either:

1) Washington loses at least two and one of Boston, Rangers and Flyers loses out (below limits on OT losses)

2) Two of Carolina, Boston, Rangers and Flyers loses out (again, below limits on OT losses)

True.

What I meant about "passing CAR" is that they can gets bounced outright... Sure both WAS and CAR can get in... One most likely will...??

What you have to remember is either team can collapse and help BFLO (of course if BFLO wins out).

Of course BFLO can't get that third seed... But, it is an extra team that gives BFLO a ray of hope lower in the seeds... It is a third in name only!

See?

KISS!=Keep It Simple Stupid!

Carolina... Yes... CAROLINA! Believe it or not, at 90 points... This may be the best shot at getting in if BFLO runs the table. YES YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Carolina could finish behind Buffalo and still win their division for a playoff spot.

Carolina could finish behind Buffalo and still win their division for a playoff spot.

Yes. True... Then the Sabres would have to contend with WAS...

Not likely happening... I am banking on one making it and countiing that CAR spot as WAS's spot and CAR getting bounced...

Can't we have some 'Cain hate here!

:D

Basically, passing either of those two (Was, Car) is just as good, but passing both does us no (additional) good. Theoretically, we could also pass neither and still get in, if two of the other three teams (NYR, Bos, Phi) collapse.

At this point, I'm not worried about exactly which teams collapse, as long as two of them do. Boston and the Flyers have the hardest schedules, which would also set up an exciting Sunday with Sabres needing a regulation win against Boston, as well as a Flyers' loss (possible regulation, depending on their other losses), to get into the playoffs. Of course, it's all moot unless we win on Tuesday in Toronto. You know they'd love to spoil our season (they already did a little last week.)

Basically, passing either of those two (Was, Car) is just as good, but passing both does us no (additional) good. Theoretically, we could also pass neither and still get in, if two of the other three teams (NYR, Bos, Phi) collapse.

At this point, I'm not worried about exactly which teams collapse, as long as two of them do. Boston and the Flyers have the hardest schedules, which would also set up an exciting Sunday with Sabres needing a regulation win against Boston, as well as a Flyers' loss (possible regulation, depending on their other losses), to get into the playoffs. Of course, it's all moot unless we win on Tuesday in Toronto. You know they'd love to spoil our season (they already did a little last week.)

Ahhhh! And there (blue) is the beauty of the "Keep Hope Alive" thread... It really is simple!

;) ;)

Payback (red) for Peter's "golf swing"...??

FWIW, we own the tiebreaker with the Caps

Unfortunately, we don't. In order to make it, we have to win out (no scenarios exist where we don't), giving us 92 points and 40 wins. With three games left and 88 points, there is no way for the Capitals to get exactly 92 points without at least one win. Since they have 40 wins now, they would have 41 or 42 if we end up tied in points, meaning they own the tie-breaker.

Edit: completely ignore the above as I am an idiot. The "we" in IRWT's post is obviously the Canes, not the Sabres.

For those who still care, here's the remaining schedule of relevant games:

Monday:

Pitt at NYR

Tuesday:

Buff at Tor

Car at Wash

Wednesday:

TB at Car

Bost at NJ

Philly at Pitt

Thursday:

NYR at NYI

TB at Wash

Buff at Mon

Friday:

Flor at Car

NYI at NYR

NJ at Phil

Bost at Ott

Saturday:

Buff at Bost

Flor at Wash

Sunday:

NYR at NJ

Pitt at Phil

Scratch the Rangers off the list. Drury gives them the win in OT.

Yup. Now there are only 13 remaining games with any relevance to our playoff chances:

Tuesday:

Buff at Tor

Car at Wash

Wednesday:

TB at Car

Bost at NJ

Philly at Pitt

Thursday:

TB at Wash

Buff at Mon

Friday:

Flor at Car

NJ at Phil

Bost at Ott

Saturday:

Buff at Bost

Flor at Wash

Sunday:

Pitt at Phil

Scratch the Rangers off the list. Drury gives them the win in OT.

Drury is overrated and has scored like one big goal in his entire career. Oops, make that two. <_<

Here's the updated playoff scenario:

To make the playoffs, the Sabres have to win their final 3 games and then have 2 of the following 3 things happen:

1. WAS loses 2 of 3 games (1 can be in OT) (or CAR loses all 3 games (1 can be in OT))

2. BOS loses all 3 games (1 loss, other than against the Sabres, can be in OT) - the last game is against Buffalo

3. PHI loses all 3 games (1 can be in OT)

If Philly or Boston goes 0-2-1 and ends up tied with the Sabres, Buffalo would win the tiebreaker. The first tiebreaker is wins but they would have the same record. The second tiebreaker is head-to-head record - the Sabres picked up more points against Philly, and they would have the same number of points head-to-head as Boston (assuming that Buffalo wins the last game in regulation). The Sabres would beat Boston on goal differential.

Drury is overrated and has scored like one big goal in his entire career. Oops, make that two. <_<

I admit that was me who said that, but I will wait until this playoff season to make my final judgement. I am tired of hearing what a saint he was and how our front office treated him so poorly. I truly believe that there was no way he would play for us if he could play for the Rangers.

I admit that was me who said that, but I will wait until this playoff season to make my final judgement. I am tired of hearing what a saint he was and how our front office treated him so poorly. I truly believe that there was no way he would play for us if he could play for the Rangers.

IMO there's no "final judgement" to make. Dude's a winner, he has been at every level, has a ton of hardware to show for it, has a ton of clutch goals and is generally regarded as a great leader everywhere he goes. Whether he has a Conn Smythe playoff run or the NYR are out in 4 games won't change his reputation or accomplishments one bit.

Maybe given the opportunity he would pick the Rangers over Buffalo every time. But I truly believe that had the FO not screwed the pooch he never would have had to make that decision, and that's the big screwup.

I'm assuming you're a Sabres fan, since you're on here and discussing our team, so I have to ask: if you were somewhere else - Columbus, for example - and you really liked it there, your wife liked it there, you had a good team around you - but the Sabres came calling with with an offer that was $10-15M more than what you thought you were going to get from your current team - you wouldn't jump? My God I'd be on my way back to Buffalo so fast the news crews would have to do my exit interviews on the airport tarmac.

Archived