Official Keep Hope Alive-Still Not Out Of It Thread!

ExiledInIllinois

Being the third to do something (miss the playoffs after winning the President's Trophy) in 23 years (first PT was given in 1985) isn't exactly "making history". It sucks, but "making history" would be the first one to do it.

Quibbling over semantics is largely irrelevant to the overall theme of the post, but if you must. History is made anytime a notable event occurs, it doesnt have to be the first of its kind. This year's accomplishment (or lack thereof) certainly qualifies as such an event given its rarity. Nonetheless, applying your own reasoning: making history means they would have to be the first one's to do it. Ok, they ARE the first one's to become the third team in NHL history to achieve such an undesirable feet.

Quibbling over semantics is largely irrelevant to the overall theme of the post, but if you must. History is made anytime a notable event occurs, it doesnt have to be the first of its kind. This year's accomplishment (or lack thereof) certainly qualifies as such an event given its rarity. Nonetheless, applying your own reasoning: making history means they would have to be the first one's to do it. Ok, they ARE the first one's to become the third team in NHL history to achieve such an undesirable feet.

Lol. Touch?.

Seriously, though, history making doesn't have to be the first at doing something; it depends on how many chances there were. If we do miss the playoffs, then 3 out of 23 (13%) PT winnerswill have failed to make it. Uncommon, but not what I would call historically rare. If they said it was only the third time in NHL history (91 seasons, I believe) that the team with the best regular season record failed to make the playoffs the next season, then that would be historic. Besides, how of the remaining 20 PT winners barely made the playoffs? The difference between 7-10 is usually insignificant, often the product of a little bad or good luck.

I will grant you that it is just arguing semantics and that there drop was significant no matter how you split it.

Give it up. Season is over, was over this off-season before the regular season even began. Maybe missing out on the playoffs and making NHL history in an extremely negative way will show mgmt that they havent exactly set a new business model for off-season behavior and force them to get their act together.

exactly. they gave up on this team last off-season.

Here's the updated playoff scenario:

To make the playoffs, the Sabres have to win their final 2 games and then have 2 of the following 3 things happen:

1. Either CAR or WAS loses their final 2 games (1 could be in OT)

2. BOS loses their final 3 games (1 of their next 2 games could be an OT loss, but BUF must beat BOS in regulation)

3. PHI loses their final 3 games (1 can be in OT)

If Philly or Boston goes 0-2-1 and ends up tied with the Sabres, Buffalo would win the tiebreaker. The first tiebreaker is wins but they would have the same record. The second tiebreaker is head-to-head record - the Sabres picked up more points against Philly, and they would have the same number of points head-to-head as Boston (assuming that Buffalo wins the last game in regulation). The Sabres would beat Boston on goal differential.

On Wednesday, a loss by either BOS or PHI would keep the Sabres alive for their Thursday game at Montreal. Wins by both BOS and PHI would pull the plug on the season.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!KEEP HOPE ALIVE!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!

I'm not dead yet...

They're making the other teams eliminate them, which is all you can ask at this point. Now, we need help tomorrow so they can try to do it again on Thursday.

Tonight is a huge night in the Sabres playoff hopes. We need a sweep

NJ over Boston

Tampa over Carolina

Pitt over Philly

Lol. Touch?.

Seriously, though, history making doesn't have to be the first at doing something; it depends on how many chances there were. If we do miss the playoffs, then 3 out of 23 (13%) PT winnerswill have failed to make it. Uncommon, but not what I would call historically rare. If they said it was only the third time in NHL history (91 seasons, I believe) that the team with the best regular season record failed to make the playoffs the next season, then that would be historic. Besides, how of the remaining 20 PT winners barely made the playoffs? The difference between 7-10 is usually insignificant, often the product of a little bad or good luck.

I will grant you that it is just arguing semantics and that there drop was significant no matter how you split it.

I don't want to get in the middle of your quibbling, but I believe they would be only the second PT winner to fail to make the playoffs. The other team(Montreal) was long before the advent of the PT. So Carp, if I am not mistaken, it is the third time in history.

At the very least, the Sabres need NJ to win (preferably in regulation) and 1 of the other 2 games to go their way.

I hear ya, but we really need to catch a break. All three losing would be the beginning of that break. Options winnow when any of these teams win tonight.

I don't want to get in the middle of your quibbling, but I believe they would be only the second PT winner to fail to make the playoffs. The other team(Montreal) was long before the advent of the PT. So Carp, if I am not mistaken, it is the third time in history.

'23-'24 - Ottawa top regular season team. Missed playoffs (by 1 point; top 3 teams of 6 qualified) in '24-'25.

'24-'25 - Hamilton top regular season team. Team folded that off-season, replaced by NY Americans. Amerks missed playoffs.

'30-'31 - Boston top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '31-'32.

'32-'33 - Boston tied for top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '33-'34.

'36-'37 - Detroit top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '37-'38.

'41-'42 - New York top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in league in '42-'43.

'46-'47 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs with 5th place finish in '47-'48.

'68-'69 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs on tiebreaker w/ NY in '69-'70.

'85-'86 - Presidents' Trophy introduced. Edmonton initial winner.

'91-'92 - Rangers win Presidents' Trophy. Missed playoffs with worst record in Patrick Div. in '92-'93.

'03-'04 - Detroit wins Presidents' Trophy. No season played next year; missed playoffs tied for worst record in league in '04-'05.

So, unless it's getting very far into semantics, there has only been 1 Presidents' Trophy winner to miss the playoffs the next season. Top regular season team missing the playoffs the next year was pretty common prior to the Korean War. It's only happened twice since then, so far.

[/b]

While I agree with this, I cannot bring myself to root against them. I try t not to watch but i find myself at least checking it out, if only with the dvr speed at 2.

Follow my logic, if you will: Let's try rooting against them. Maybe it will fire them up to win games. I've done this the past two games, only to see them win.

'23-'24 - Ottawa top regular season team. Missed playoffs (by 1 point; top 3 teams of 6 qualified) in '24-'25.

'24-'25 - Hamilton top regular season team. Team folded that off-season, replaced by NY Americans. Amerks missed playoffs.

'30-'31 - Boston top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '31-'32.

'32-'33 - Boston tied for top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '33-'34.

'36-'37 - Detroit top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in American division in '37-'38.

'41-'42 - New York top regular season team. Missed playoffs with worst record in league in '42-'43.

'46-'47 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs with 5th place finish in '47-'48.

'68-'69 - Montreal top regular season team. Missed playoffs on tiebreaker w/ NY in '69-'70.

'85-'86 - Presidents' Trophy introduced. Edmonton initial winner.

'91-'92 - Rangers win Presidents' Trophy. Missed playoffs with worst record in Patrick Div. in '92-'93.

'03-'04 - Detroit wins Presidents' Trophy. No season played next year; missed playoffs tied for worst record in league in '04-'05.

So, unless it's getting very far into semantics, there has only been 1 Presidents' Trophy winner to miss the playoffs the next season. Top regular season team missing the playoffs the next year was pretty common prior to the Korean War. It's only happened twice since then, so far.

:blush: Ooops!

Formed my own thread to highlight it... Will delete if needed!

Follow my logic, if you will: Let's try rooting against them. Maybe it will fire them up to win games. I've done this the past two games, only to see them win.

I have been doiong this since 1970! "Reverse Curse"... Then they get good or "in" and I believe again and get all Zen!

:blink: :blink:

Last night I talked to my brother at the start of the shootout and was sure I told him that THEY WOULD LOSE.

Don't worry BOTH BOS and PHI will win tonight and BFLO will lose tommorrow (won't mean anything anyway)... ;) ;)

Wait... Am I the same guy who started this thread?

:blush:

I've obviously toned it down, TYVM.

I just got this email that said that Bmwolf21 sent me a reply to this posting of mine. It said, "Wow, and it only took two days to respond."

1, it's not showing up here, so he must have deleted it. 2, I can't get on here every day. 3, Life happens.

I just got this email that said that Bmwolf21 sent me a reply to this posting of mine. It said, "Wow, and it only took two days to respond."

1, it's not showing up here, so he must have deleted it. 2, I can't get on here every day. 3, Life happens.

I did post that but thought better of it and deleted it. I'm pretty damn irritable today, mainly because of outside stuff (as you put it, life happening) and my original response channeled that outside frustration. My apologies.

I did post that but thought better of it and deleted it. I'm pretty damn irritable today, mainly because of outside stuff (as you put it, life happening) and my original response channeled that outside frustration. My apologies.

No problem. Water off the duck's back.

Archived