OT- 4th of July

Mike Oxhurtz

I am in the Coast Guard. PLEASE do not shoot fireworks from your boat. It will be seen, it will be reported as a flare sighting, and we will be forced to treat it as such and waste taxpayer dollars looking for someone that's not in distress. Please do not do this.

That is why I said that... I was joking!

One time we had these 50-60 year old jokers shooting roman candles into the lock chamber on the 4th... We had 8 barges with about 1500 ton of cargo each... And about 30-40 rec boats packed in with the tow (no hazardous cargo though... We don't lock rec boats with haz... Empty or full)...

To say the least... I was not amused, either was the USCG when I called them... There were a hoard of boats waiting to lock down from the lake late (another 30 or more)... For sh*ts and giggles, this is what they came up with... Roman candles into the full navigation lock!

Oh well... Just about that time of the year when the rec boats will be back and the weekend warriors will be in force!

:angry:

What a waste of money for some lame-ass fireworks. Go find a good fireworks show, take some chairs and some mosquito repellant, a few beers and your girl/kids/family, and have a nice night.

My wife and I go to Fort Belvoir here in DC, and the fireworks are outstanding. Then I see all these douches lighting off their lame-ass displays and getting excited about it.

"Oooohhhhh. Look, a sparkly fountain and a bottle rocket. Oooooh."

Lame.

I'm sorry, I don't buy lame-ass fireworks, those are for amateurs.

i'll have to count myself as one of those amateurs who buys a consumer-oriented assortment pack in canada (a couple of decent repeaters, some roman candles, a spinning wheel, burning schoolhouse, etc.), but let me explain: you get a serious bang for your buck with these things if you set them off for a gang of the 12-and-under set. at least that's been my experience.

but we're always careful to combine that modest experience with attending/watching a big show somewhere's else.

i'll have to count myself as one of those amateurs who buys a consumer-oriented assortment pack in canada (a couple of decent repeaters, some roman candles, a spinning wheel, burning schoolhouse, etc.), but let me explain: you get a serious bang for your buck with these things if you set them off for a gang of the 12-and-under set. at least that's been my experience.

but we're always careful to combine that modest experience with attending/watching a big show somewhere's else.

One can call that (blue) the:

"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court Syndrome"

One can really become "king" around the place!

Well, July 4th happens to be my grandparents' wedding anniversary, but there's no real significance behind that as they are not Americans. Since they live with us, we do something with them.

Aside from that, I usually spend July 4th like I spend July 1-3, which is constantly refreshing tsn's website hoping and praying the Sabres signed some middle tier free agent (since all the big names are signed on July 1st), but usually my hopes and prayers are never answered. Although, I'll give them credit in that they signed Spacek after they lost McKee. But, in the end, I just continue on as any other frustrated Sabres fan. July 4th is no different.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with assortments, they do have a lot of good stuff in there and you do get your money's worth. I like to get the bigger stuff that is close to professional style.

That definitely wouldn't be a good thing. How long have you been in the Coast Guard?

24.5 years. September 26, 1983.

Sweet, I live in Fredericksburg, but work in Aquia.

Where do you usually go with your boat?

I normally (read - always) go out of Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton. It's only 10 miles from my base where I luckily get free (and very secure) boat storage.

So, what is a good price to attract the '12 and under set'? :unsure:

now, now - i realize the season's gone down the toilet, but that's no reason to bust out an equivocal emoticon regarding the motives of a squarepants-family-guy's posting on how to keep your and your friends' kids amused around a national holiday.

fyi, fwiw: 4 from the gang of hooligans that i generally help entertain on/around the 4th belong to my bride and me (or at least so they tell us around meal times) - so we don't sweat the price point too much.

24.5 years. September 26, 1983.

I normally (read - always) go out of Pohick Bay Regional Park in Lorton. It's only 10 miles from my base where I luckily get free (and very secure) boat storage.

Congrats on a great career. Are you retiring anytime soon or staying in as long as possible?

I was in the Marines twice (total of 8 years, 8 months). I was medically separated last year due to multiple injuries to my foot & ankle.

Here's the website for Phantom Fireworks: www.fireworks.com Go to Product Catalog, and you can view all the products they sell. Most of them, you can view a demonstration of the fireworks in action.

They have several areas around the country to choose from. From Buffalo, the closest Phantom Fireworks location is right off the 1st exit once you enter PA from the I-90.

This is a great thread. The 4th is only 3+ months away. Keep up with the nice contributions to the board. <_<

:lol:

BTW, are the other smilies ever coming back? I miss the thumbsup, w00t and beer smilies...

Congrats on a great career. Are you retiring anytime soon or staying in as long as possible?

I was in the Marines twice (total of 8 years, 8 months). I was medically separated last year due to multiple injuries to my foot & ankle.

Thanks. With today's economy, I plan to stay the full 30. The pension will be phenomenal for a HS graduate from West Seneca; I can't turn it down. It's been a great career. One more tour, probably at my current unit. We'll be retiring in the Raleigh area. At least, that's the plan!

These days, if you get out of the Marines or Army in one piece, you should consider yourself lucky. I hope that's the case for you.

Thanks. With today's economy, I plan to stay the full 30. The pension will be phenomenal for a HS graduate from West Seneca; I can't turn it down. It's been a great career. One more tour, probably at my current unit. We'll be retiring in the Raleigh area. At least, that's the plan!

These days, if you get out of the Marines or Army in one piece, you should consider yourself lucky. I hope that's the case for you.

Yes I still have all my limbs (thank goodness!!!!). I'm glad I got severance pay and a good disablility rating from the VA.

Yes I still have all my limbs (thank goodness!!!!). I'm glad I got severance pay and a good disablility rating from the VA.

I hope I am not repeating anything here since I haven't read the full thread, but I'd like to thank all the posters who serve in the armed forces for all that you do for us.

Also, and I hope this doesn't sound trivial, I hope you all know that while we may not disagree greatly when it comes to this stuff we call sports, its does nothing to diminish the admiration I have for all you men and women.

Dittos on the sentiment of thanks for those who serve. As Bob Curran in the Buffalo Evening News used to write: "Say a prayer for those over there."

With that said, the lead-up to 7/4 was always better than the actual day. After school was out my pals and I would ride our bikes over the Peace Bridge (after a major slobber at Ted's) and load up on Canadian fireworks (and probably a great day at Crystal Beach). We'd then ride back, sweating about our up-coming confrontation with the law at the Bridge. We'd wheel up to the U.S. Customs agent (who before 9/11 was a nice old local guy about 60 with a big pot belly) who knew what we were up to and would ask us our country of origin, if we were bringing back any fireworks and, after we obviously lied through our teeth by saying "No, sir," would wave us through. He probably thought about when he did the same thing fifty years before as he watched us ride away.

First, thanks to those who serve.

Without trying to be the wet blanket or anything like that - I have no problem with fireworks being legal. If an idiot wants to blow his fingers off it's fine by me - but you shouldn't get any disability or anything like that if you do, but that's an argument for another time.

What I do have a problem with are stupid-ass idiots who show no common sense or courtesy when they decide to blow off fireworks. Two years ago, while living in Orlando we had a group of illegals (yes, they were confirmed, bona-fide illegals) setting off fireworks in an unoccupied parking spot in one of the lots of our condo complex. The various rockets and whatnot were landing on other people's vehicles and a couple landed on the roof of the adjacent building. These rocket scientists (pun intended) were doing all this DURING A WILDFIRE WARNING. These geniuses were literally putting the entire complex and pretty much that entire section of town at risk because they were drunk and stupid.

The condo complex had a handful of night security guards who were stationed less a couple hundred feet from where these geniuses were firing off the rockets, but did nothing. I didn't want to be "that guy" but I called and asked them if they could get them to stop (it was pretty late at this point, and it wasn't even the 4th) or move it somewhere else so I wouldn't find fireworks, ash, etc on my car the next morning and not burn down the complex in the process. Security's response? "We asked them to stop already but they said no." I literally dropped the phone. I asked the woman for her name so I could let the police and fire marshal know if/when they burned down the building, and apparently that spurred them into action, because they went out and stopped them about 10 minutes later.

I don't mind celebrations and whatnot - but I hate stupid people. :angry:

First, thanks to those who serve.

Without trying to be the wet blanket or anything like that - I have no problem with fireworks being legal. If an idiot wants to blow his fingers off it's fine by me - but you shouldn't get any disability or anything like that if you do, but that's an argument for another time.

What I do have a problem with are stupid-ass idiots who show no common sense or courtesy when they decide to blow off fireworks. Two years ago, while living in Orlando we had a group of illegals (yes, they were confirmed, bona-fide illegals) setting off fireworks in an unoccupied parking spot in one of the lots of our condo complex. The various rockets and whatnot were landing on other people's vehicles and a couple landed on the roof of the adjacent building. These rocket scientists (pun intended) were doing all this DURING A WILDFIRE WARNING. These geniuses were literally putting the entire complex and pretty much that entire section of town at risk because they were drunk and stupid.

The condo complex had a handful of night security guards who were stationed less a couple hundred feet from where these geniuses were firing off the rockets, but did nothing. I didn't want to be "that guy" but I called and asked them if they could get them to stop (it was pretty late at this point, and it wasn't even the 4th) or move it somewhere else so I wouldn't find fireworks, ash, etc on my car the next morning and not burn down the complex in the process. Security's response? "We asked them to stop already but they said no." I literally dropped the phone. I asked the woman for her name so I could let the police and fire marshal know if/when they burned down the building, and apparently that spurred them into action, because they went out and stopped them about 10 minutes later.

I don't mind celebrations and whatnot - but I hate stupid people. :angry:

I have had a similiar experience and second your thoughts. I let it go till about 11 and than became that guy.

As for my favorite recollections, first was seeing the Stones at Rich and than going to Cresent Beach to a friends cottage.

Second was doing my now wife for the first time after getting totally anialated at the Grand Island picnic. We were than about two hours late for a party that I was introducing her to my friends. As you can imagine, that story has taken on a life of its own.

I have had a similiar experience and second your thoughts. I let it go till about 11 and than became that guy.

As for my favorite recollections, first was seeing the Stones at Rich and than going to Cresent Beach to a friends cottage.

Second was doing my now wife for the first time after getting totally anialated at the Grand Island picnic. We were than about two hours late for a party that I was introducing her to my friends. As you can imagine, that story has taken on a life of its own.

I'm trying to help

Archived