OT- 4th of July

Mike Oxhurtz

First, thanks to those who serve.

Without trying to be the wet blanket or anything like that - I have no problem with fireworks being legal. If an idiot wants to blow his fingers off it's fine by me - but you shouldn't get any disability or anything like that if you do, but that's an argument for another time.

What I do have a problem with are stupid-ass idiots who show no common sense or courtesy when they decide to blow off fireworks. Two years ago, while living in Orlando we had a group of illegals (yes, they were confirmed, bona-fide illegals) setting off fireworks in an unoccupied parking spot in one of the lots of our condo complex. The various rockets and whatnot were landing on other people's vehicles and a couple landed on the roof of the adjacent building. These rocket scientists (pun intended) were doing all this DURING A WILDFIRE WARNING. These geniuses were literally putting the entire complex and pretty much that entire section of town at risk because they were drunk and stupid.

The condo complex had a handful of night security guards who were stationed less a couple hundred feet from where these geniuses were firing off the rockets, but did nothing. I didn't want to be "that guy" but I called and asked them if they could get them to stop (it was pretty late at this point, and it wasn't even the 4th) or move it somewhere else so I wouldn't find fireworks, ash, etc on my car the next morning and not burn down the complex in the process. Security's response? "We asked them to stop already but they said no." I literally dropped the phone. I asked the woman for her name so I could let the police and fire marshal know if/when they burned down the building, and apparently that spurred them into action, because they went out and stopped them about 10 minutes later.

I don't mind celebrations and whatnot - but I hate stupid people. :angry:

I don't blame you for being P.O.'d. We always make sure we have plenty of room, and we stop the fireworks at a respectable time. It's a shame that others have to be stupid, and ruin it for everyone else.

I don't blame you for being P.O.'d. We always make sure we have plenty of room, and we stop the fireworks at a respectable time. It's a shame that others have to be stupid, and ruin it for everyone else.

And sadly, that's what happens - a bunch of idiots lacking common sense ruin it for everyone else.

Car wreck I tell ya. BTW what are you guys planning on doing for X-mas?

Hopefully, we'll be celebrating it in a new (or newer) house. We're looking at houses right now, so it would be great to own a house again.

Hopefully, we'll be celebrating it in a new (or newer) house. We're looking at houses right now, so it would be great to own a house again.

I agree with BM totally and have similar stories (as noted in the thread)... But, aren't you still willfully breaking the law in some states... Why would they not enforce it?

The only logical answer to your question that started this thread is go to a state that they are legal.

I agree with BM totally and have similar stories (as noted in the thread)... But, aren't you still willfully breaking the law in some states... Why would they not enforce it?

The only logical answer to your question that started this thread is go to a state that they are legal.

Florida says fireworks are illegal, but apparently left a bunch of loopholes in the law. That explains why these huge tents pop up every year around May and stay open until after July 4.

LINK

There is a loophole in the law that allows a seller with a license for wholesale sales to sell to customers if they sign a form, said St. Johns County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Chuck Mulligan.

The "verification certificate" at Celebrations tents requires customers to acknowledge that they are 18 years of age or older and have "reviewed Section 791.04 of chapter 791, Florida Statutes" and that their purchase and use of fireworks falls within allowed exceptions for use.

Those exceptions include use by railroads, quarrying or for blasting or other industrial use, for ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports organizations, or by the armed forces of the United States.

It does not include recreational use, Mulligan said, so essentially, customers are signing an agreement that they will not use the fireworks that they are buying.

LINK

State law forbids setting off fireworks that fly or explode, but makes exceptions for a few select purposes, including rock quarrying, railroad signaling and shooing birds away from fish hatcheries.

Archived