GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Knightrider

You know what I've noticed the last few games is that the Sabres are really struggling because of the injuries. I don't mean that to be an excuse for the loss tonight. But, what I've noticed is that they get tired very quickly, and I think the reason is because Lindy shortens the bench before the game's even played and the 4th line barely sees any ice time. The fact is, we're kind of forced to use Peters for a few different reasons and then have to double shift someone else, usually Zubrus or Hecht. Because we don't have any more callups, besides emergency callups, which we can't use because Peters is healthy, we are forced to play him. The other problem is when Paille comes back, we'll still have to have Peters in the lineup because we'll then have to send Ryan back down because he is an emergency callup. We basically need 2 forwards to come back from injury before we can begin to think about playing 4 full lines and scratching Peters. When you play with such a short bench, even before the game starts, you're put in a position where the forwards are going to get tired very early and I think the result is the shots on goal we have been seeing over the last few games. It's annoying, and I think these guys run out of legs very early in periods or have to play rope-a-dope to pace themselves throughout the game.

The second thing is, I really think Conks should have started tonight, especially on back-to-back games. When we're giving up so many shots like this, the goalie is going to get tired and deserves a break. I wish we had started with Conks instead of playing Miller and pulling him.

Third, the Sabres got very few Powerplays (clearly a problem with the officiating again), and when they did, they did absolutely nothing with them. The 4 minute double minor early in the game was one we should have converted at least one goal on. Don't know what happened, but after a strong PP for 2 games, it fizzled tonight. There isn't much question, but Roy got tripped very early in the game, and if you're going to call Briere for diving, you better be calling the crosscheck cause there was one. I don't know, but I'm getting frustrated with the officiating.

In the end, the Sabres did not play well tonight, and you have to give credit to the Leafs for outplaying the Sabres. I didn't think they would rebound from last night, but they did and put away the Sabres tonight. Oh well, I think we just need to hold on and get all of our guys back and be ready for the playoff push.

You know what I've noticed the last few games is that the Sabres are really struggling because of the injuries. I don't mean that to be an excuse for the loss tonight. But, what I've noticed is that they get tired very quickly, and I think the reason is because Lindy shortens the bench before the game's even played and the 4th line barely sees any ice time. The fact is, we're kind of forced to use Peters for a few different reasons and then have to double shift someone else, usually Zubrus or Hecht. Because we don't have any more callups, besides emergency callups, which we can't use because Peters is healthy, we are forced to play him. The other problem is when Paille comes back, we'll still have to have Peters in the lineup because we'll then have to send Ryan back down because he is an emergency callup. We basically need 2 forwards to come back from injury before we can begin to think about playing 4 full lines and scratching Peters. When you play with such a short bench, even before the game starts, you're put in a position where the forwards are going to get tired very early and I think the result is the shots on goal we have been seeing over the last few games. It's annoying, and I think these guys run out of legs very early in periods or have to play rope-a-dope to pace themselves throughout the game.

The second thing is, I really think Conks should have started tonight, especially on back-to-back games. When we're giving up so many shots like this, the goalie is going to get tired and deserves a break. I wish we had started with Conks instead of playing Miller and pulling him.

Third, the Sabres got very few Powerplays (clearly a problem with the officiating again), and when they did, they did absolutely nothing with them. The 4 minute double minor early in the game was one we should have converted at least one goal on. Don't know what happened, but after a strong PP for 2 games, it fizzled tonight. There isn't much question, but Roy got tripped very early in the game, and if you're going to call Briere for diving, you better be calling the crosscheck cause there was one. I don't know, but I'm getting frustrated with the officiating.

In the end, the Sabres did not play well tonight, and you have to give credit to the Leafs for outplaying the Sabres. I didn't think they would rebound from last night, but they did and put away the Sabres tonight. Oh well, I think we just need to hold on and get all of our guys back and be ready for the playoff push.

Pretty good points, 526, and I agree.

My main concern, however, is the Sabres' apparent lack of urgency, desperation - hell, even use the generic term effort - over the better part of the last two games, against a hated division rival, and with so much on the line. I just cannot understand how you can get so badly outplayed for 5 of the last 6 periods. We could all have understood if the Laffs came out blazing, and took it to us for the first 10-12 minutes and we weathered the storm before asserting ourselves. But tonight, even much more so than last night, I never saw anything from the Sabres that resembled pressure, and when we got a couple primo scoring chances, we flubbed them.

I really hope Al and Paille get back ASAP, so we can roll four lines again. I also hope Lindy does a better job managing the goalies over the next week or so - pulling your starter after 3 goals gets you into dangerous territory, because you never know how a goalie will react to the yanking.

A split's not nice because Ottawa is rapidly gaining on us in the standings race. It will look like this after tonight:

Buffalo: 75 games, 103 pts

Ottawa: 76 games, 98 pts

Ottawa also holds the tiebreaker over us by virtue of their 5-3 head-to-head regular season record.

I understand teams have off nights, but the problem is that Ottawa has only had 5 truly off nights (defined as regulation losses) in the past 3 months!!! The Sens wouldn't have split a home-home series with Toronto. They would have taken all 4 points and put more than just 1 period of effort in the entire series.

Just sayin'. Apologies for the negative diatribe, but the Sabres' total lack of effort this game pisses me off to no end. Even more so than the loss of the 2 points in the standings race.

I understand... But Ottawa is ABOVE the curve know... You know they will regress to the... :nana: Booo... Mean... :D Did I just say that? :D

Remember waht happened to NJ last year after finishing 16 straight in the regular season... They lost in round 2...

Teams need an "even" keel, IMO...

Buffalo needs 8 out of 14 points and Ottawa HAS to win out... They are do for a let down once teams start cranking the energy up for the playoff run... IMO

I am not worried yet... Even if the Sabres fall to the 4 hole or God forbid the five hole should the Pens AND Devs surpass the Slugos, which may NOT happen because Pitt can only win out with 108... And NJ win out with 110/109 (game pending tonight, lets go Panthers!)...

So... BFLO has to stink up the ice the last seven games!

And then if they do... They deserve what they get... And you know they will be hot going into the postseason!

See... A posi diatribe!

:nana:

A split's not nice because Ottawa is rapidly gaining on us in the standings race. It will look like this after tonight:

Buffalo: 75 games, 103 pts

Ottawa: 76 games, 98 pts

Ottawa's been hanging around us at the 5-9 point mark for quite some time now. Being up by five with a game in hand isn't too bad of a position. I guess while some things concern me, we've got Max, Lydman, Kotalik, and others looming on the horizon, we're winning even though we're playing badly, and we've got three full days off coming up. If the team's limping like this the second week of April, then it's time to pull out the good luck charms.

Very disappointing effort for the 2nd game in a row against an INFERIOR team. I don't want to hear that we were up against a desperate team...that's a bunch of crap. If it wasn't for a 10 minute meltdown by the Leafs last night, we'd have zero points to show for the last two games.

Nothing else to say.

Very disappointing effort for the 2nd game in a row against an INFERIOR team. I don't want to hear that we were up against a desperate team...that's a bunch of crap. If it wasn't for a 10 minute meltdown by the Leafs last night, we'd have zero points to show for the last two games.

Nothing else to say.

And if the Leafs wouldn't have melted down last night... You know the effort tonight would have been better... Sure that is not a good way to work... Butm the Sabres can't keep the trottle open... TILL THE PLAYOFFS!

It is all bout coasting at times and NOT getting anymore banged up...

SA Rob above has my exact same thoughts... Ottawa has been hangin' around that 5-9 point range for a while now...

A let down now is IMO kinda a must!

Sure I want it all... This team is just too high motor... There are times when the VW passes the Ferrari... The goal is the SC!!!

Nothing else to say.

The Leafs didn't meltdown last night, they were steamrolled. And the Sabres players admitted it was because of being taunted by the Leafs fans in their own building. These are basically meaningless games for Buffalo right now.

Oh really? Last time I looked Ottawa and NJ were still within striking distance. I guess the President's Trophy is meaningless also?

I remember Carolina on the last game of last season needed to beat us to win the conference---they got shutout. Those things would be nice, sure, but...when do the playoffs start? I'm getting bored with the reg season

1 z - OTTAWA* 82 52 21 9 113 314 211 29-9-3 23-12-6 3-5-2

2 y - CAROLINA* 82 52 22 8 112 294 260 31-8-2 21-14-6 5-3-2

3 x - NEW JERSEY* 82 46 27 9 101 242 229 27-11-3 19-16-6 10-0-0

4 x - BUFFALO 82 52 24 6 110 281 239 27-11-3 25-13-3 7-3-0

5 x - PHILADELPHIA 82 45 26 11 101 267 259 22-13-6 23-13-5 5-4-1

6 x - NY RANGERS 82 44 26 12 100 257 215 25-10-6 19-16-6 4-6-0

7 x - MONTREAL 82 42 31 9 93 243 247 24-13-4 18-18-5 6-4-0

8 x - TAMPA BAY 82 43 33 6 92 252 260 25-14-2 18-19-4 5-4-1

I remember Carolina on the last game of last season needed to beat us to win the conference---they got shutout. Those things would be nice, sure, but...when do the playoffs start? I'm getting bored with the reg season

1 z - OTTAWA* 82 52 21 9 113 314 211 29-9-3 23-12-6 3-5-2

2 y - CAROLINA* 82 52 22 8 112 294 260 31-8-2 21-14-6 5-3-2

3 x - NEW JERSEY* 82 46 27 9 101 242 229 27-11-3 19-16-6 10-0-0

4 x - BUFFALO 82 52 24 6 110 281 239 27-11-3 25-13-3 7-3-0

5 x - PHILADELPHIA 82 45 26 11 101 267 259 22-13-6 23-13-5 5-4-1

6 x - NY RANGERS 82 44 26 12 100 257 215 25-10-6 19-16-6 4-6-0

7 x - MONTREAL 82 42 31 9 93 243 247 24-13-4 18-18-5 6-4-0

8 x - TAMPA BAY 82 43 33 6 92 252 260 25-14-2 18-19-4 5-4-1

You're right. What the hell, game 7 on the road is always easier than game 7 at home. Why not dress the rest of the Amerks for the remainder of the regular season.

You're right. What the hell, game 7 on the road is always easier than game 7 at home. Why not dress the rest of the Amerks for the remainder of the regular season.

But you don't know how it will play out. I look at it this way...with 7, 8, 9 players out for a couple of months, it is amazing they are in first place in the whole league.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to win everything too, but I can't get mad at them for playing a few stinkers

But you don't know how it will play out. I look at it this way...with 7, 8, 9 players out for a couple of months, it is amazing they are in first place in the whole league.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to win everything too, but I can't get mad at them for playing a few stinkers

My sentiments exactly... I can't get to greedy... Their style DOES lead to more injuries coupled with the refs regressing enforcing the rules, IMO.

So lets coast... Things get tight, like say down to one game between the other teams... Then they can get serious... For know, the return of the injured and waiting for the playoffs is what is is important... NO MORE injuries!

To be perfectly frank, I really don't care about where we end up in the seedings. I mean, there's no doubt I'd like to get the President's trophy, the division, and home ice throughout, but really it doesn't matter. Here's what we know. Ottawa will collapse in the playoffs. That is their tradition and history. It is also the tradition and the history of their coach Bryan Murray. That's what they do. They fire Martin only to hire someone else who has done nothing in the playoffs. NJ is too hurt and they don't have to firepower for the new NHL to be successful in the playoffs. I think the only real concern for the Sabres, regardless of what position they end up, is the Penguins. And, I still feel a healthy Sabres team beats the Pens and every other team in the NHL. So, in the end, I'm not that worried where the Sabres end up in the standings. I think if they are healthy come playoff time, that's all that matters.

To be perfectly frank, I really don't care about where we end up in the seedings. I mean, there's no doubt I'd like to get the President's trophy, the division, and home ice throughout, but really it doesn't matter. Here's what we know. Ottawa will collapse in the playoffs. That is their tradition and history. It is also the tradition and the history of their coach Bryan Murray. That's what they do. They fire Martin only to hire someone else who has done nothing in the playoffs. NJ is too hurt and they don't have to firepower for the new NHL to be successful in the playoffs. I think the only real concern for the Sabres, regardless of what position they end up, is the Penguins. And, I still feel a healthy Sabres team beats the Pens and every other team in the NHL. So, in the end, I'm not that worried where the Sabres end up in the standings. I think if they are healthy come playoff time, that's all that matters.

Well if you want to believe that, you also have to believe that Buffalo will lose in the cup final after being screwed by the refs/league, or become decemated with injuries and lose, so far thats their history and tradition

I don't care what anyone says, saying that they don't need to win out, or that they should just coast so they don't face more injuries is just more excuses from the fans to make themselves feel better about the teams poor play. you don't go into the playoffs, coasting in and expect to win it all, they need to get on a hot streak and start dominating or else it will be a quick and disapointing end to what should have been a championship season. The past 2 games they have been struggling against a team that could end up being their first round opponent.

This team is looking very beatable, and I just hope Lindy can get the guys focused again so they can go deep into the playoffs

To be honest, I don't understand the "at least we're in the playoffs" mentality that seems to be infecting this thread. If we are that content with just being in and not caring what our seed is, then why not play Conks for the rest of the games, and give big chunks of ice time to the Mair line. Then we can avoid injuries to Miller and Briere and Drury...

Seriously, we can't expect this team (or any team) to coast through the home stretch and then magically "turn it on" for the playoffs. That is how teams earn early exits from the postseason.

As was mentioned yesterday - the last three Cup finals have gone to game 7, and all three were won by the home team. We lost in the ECF (in game 7) and you can't convince me that the Carolina series wouldn't have gone differently if we had home-ice advantage.

Here's what Drury said about it earlier this year:

Drury's message to his teammates will be to approach each game, be it in October or March, as if it could determine home-ice advantage in the playoffs. The first two times he and the Avalanche lost in the conference finals, they faced a do-or-die situation in Dallas.

"So we went out and got the President's Trophy," Drury said of the year he got his name engraved on the Cup. "We were a good team, but we didn't waste any points anywhere. That's got to be our mind-set this year." (The Buffalo News, 10/4/06)

They need to get their heads straight and start gearing themselves up for some playoffs-intensity hockey, because that is all it's going to be from here on out.

Thinking that the Sabers are or should "coast" is a joke. Teams do not coast and sure aren't told to coast by the coach. Anyone see the infuriated look on Ruff's face tonight. He expects better from this team as he well should. He knows if they don't start playing better, they may take an early exit from the playoffs. Out of the last 30 or so periods the Sabres have played you can count on 1 hand the total number of good periods they have put together. I don't know how many playoff games you can win being outshot the way they have been recently. Time to suck it up for the final few games here.

Well if you want to believe that, you also have to believe that Buffalo will lose in the cup final after being screwed by the refs/league, or become decemated with injuries and lose, so far thats their history and tradition

I don't care what anyone says, saying that they don't need to win out, or that they should just coast so they don't face more injuries is just more excuses from the fans to make themselves feel better about the teams poor play. you don't go into the playoffs, coasting in and expect to win it all, they need to get on a hot streak and start dominating or else it will be a quick and disapointing end to what should have been a championship season. The past 2 games they have been struggling against a team that could end up being their first round opponent.

This team is looking very beatable, and I just hope Lindy can get the guys focused again so they can go deep into the playoffs

They are very beatable because they don't have their "A" lineup... Sorry for the excuse... No way the team can win a Cup without getting some of their starters back...

Look what happened to the Oilers going down 9-10 guys!

Of course the Sabres are deeper... But we have to have AT LEAST a few mor eof the opening day roster...

Plain and simple... No short bench...

Thinking that the Sabers are or should "coast" is a joke. Teams do not coast and sure aren't told to coast by the coach. Anyone see the infuriated look on Ruff's face tonight. He expects better from this team as he well should. He knows if they don't start playing better, they may take an early exit from the playoffs. Out of the last 30 or so periods the Sabres have played you can count on 1 hand the total number of good periods they have put together. I don't know how many playoff games you can win being outshot the way they have been recently. Time to suck it up for the final few games here.

I'd rather see Miller go down in the playoffs than the regular season... And right, NO coach will tell his players to "coast"... But, that is what they do.

Don't get me wrong, Lindy is a great coach... But, don't "overcoach" a team right out of the playoffs.

You will see motivation when it really counts, trust me... Or maybe I am too naive... You saw it the last few seconds of the Pens came, you saw it against the TOR game in BFLO.

Again, hockey in general is a crap shoot... IMO, the hockey coach is one of the most important factors.

Sure they stunk last night... I am still not worried...

Sorry, E - not buying it. Opening day players not being in the lineup does not excuse poor efforts. If they were losing due to younger guys making mistakes, then I could concede that argument. But effort? Doesn't matter whether it is the opening day roster or that of the Amerks - they shouldn't be constantly out-skated and out-hit.

I think my post on seedings was taken a bit out of context. I think they are playing very poorly. This type of play will get them nowhere in the playoffs. I don't think it is acceptable either. But, to me, the standings aren't as important as how the team is playing and how healthy they are going into the playoffs. Let's just say Ottawa and NJ win out and we don't and they both leapfrog us in the standings. What does the standings really mean if we go 0-4 the next four games, but end the season with a 5 game winning streak with Connolly, Kotalik, Max, and Paille back? To me, finishing strong and being healthy is the most important thing going into the playoffs. And, don't get me wrong, I want the President's trophy, but if it doesn't happen, I just want the team to be playing better and healthy come playoff time. I think they played very poorly during this Toronto series, but they are injured and the officiating was brutal. They definitely can and should play a lot better, but getting healthy is critical as well. Just my take.

Sorry, E - not buying it. Opening day players not being in the lineup does not excuse poor efforts. If they were losing due to younger guys making mistakes, then I could concede that argument. But effort? Doesn't matter whether it is the opening day roster or that of the Amerks - they shouldn't be constantly out-skated and out-hit.

Sure it does... It is like everything else in life... There are times I am dogged tired going in on midnights and all I do is goof off... There are times I know I can coast... Sure it isn't right... But it happens.

Now if I now the COL. is showing up at 0900 on a Monday morning... You bet I will wax the floor!

To me, after what they did to the Leafs on Friday... Sat's game was against no VIP... And sure they got called on it and lost...

Maybe looking to the 3 days off and the Devs?... Now if the "wax" doesn't go for that game... I'd say: "Off with their heads"... :D

They got their split... Yet, nobody will concede that thought... Same thing in the playoffs if you start on the road... This team I know in my heart will perform more consistently effortwise in the playoffs... IMO, that is all they are living for...

No it doesn't. You think Lindy goes in and says "well guys, we're missing Max, Timmy, Goose, Paille & Toni, so do what you can, if we win, great, if not - no biggie." BS. This team and this organization's supposed strength is the depth of their young players, and how they can step in and not miss a beat. They did great when first called up, but now we're going to use injuries as an excuse for lack of effort?

This isn't about someone goofing off on the night shift - this is about a team that has shown a year-long propensity for playing half-assed for good portions of the game, then trying to turn it on late in the game to steal two points. This team needs to play better, so they can pick up enough points to have the luxury of not starting (or finishing) playoff series on the road. There are guys who are supposedly auditioning to keep their roster spots when guys get back from injuries; young guys who are trying to be the first player recalled in case of a playoff injury; guys playing for their next contract. That is the best effort they can come up with?

You're damn right about one thing - I am not celebrating a late-season split of two games against a clearly inferior team, especially when our guys didn't show up for 90% of the games. The Sabres could have put in the work and taken both games, knocking a hated rival all but out of the playoff picture, and putting more distance between themselves and others for the division and conference. Instead, they coasted and screwed around for approximately 105 of 120 minutes of hockey, and it cost them at least two points (and nearly 4.)

I've heard that "waiting for the playoffs" crap from a couple other people, and that's what I think it is - crap - but I really hope you are right, that they can magically turn it on when the playoffs start. But NHL playoff history is littered with higher-ranked teams that coasted into the playoffs and found themselves knocked out early.

I'm not quite ready to push the panic button yet, but like the Deal or No Deal button - the glass lid is flipped open and I am wondering if it's time...

I see your argument... But we are just fans... And I agree Lindy doesn't say that, maybe it is the way I worded it.

I am just saying, I will believe all this (what you guys are saying) if they pull this crap in the playoffs...

I don't get into the X's and O's, but the Sabres' system seems very complicated to run... And needs to be run at a high level... Slam into a team and it is a kin to taking a Lamborghini Diablo out wheelin' in the mud... Something has to give, fortunately I think Lamborghini makes a SUV now? ;) ;) :nana: :nana:

I just know... Some stange reason tells me they are "sand bagging"... Even with the injuries!

For the Sabres to be REALLY successful, teams have to be lured into thinking they can skate with the Sabres... Of course nobody wants the wear and tear of "hard games"... Don't confuse this last statement with not working hard...

Again, maybe I am too Pollyanna... :D

Archived