GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I wouldn't really consider any of those soft goals...2 great shots, a bad bounce and one he was screened on.

I don't consider the third goal a bad bounce or fluke. It was a set shot! Bad positioning by Miller. You're only supposed to score like that in rod hockey.

What's going on here? Drury is back for two games, and they lose both. He's gone for four games and they go 3-1-0. I don't understand. First of all, I felt Miller kind of gave up some goals he'd like to have back. Second, the Wild goalie gave up zero rebounds the whole game. We got a ton of shots on goal, but nothing went it. We had a bunch of chances, but no goals besides Ryan's. We've talked about this in other threads about how we should trade Max and whatnot, but tonight was definitely a game where we really needed him, I feel. I think the problem the Sabres had was that this team is so fast. If we had Max on the ice, it gives us some extra speed and kind of levels the playing field. This is also a very different team when Gaborik is on the ice. Either he's extremely fast or he simply cherry picks on every shift, and probably a little bit of both. It seemed like every time he was on the ice he was at the red line picking the puck up on an odd man rush. I've been very disappointed by the last 2 outings. I also think that the main reason for these losses has been the Slugs playing at home. They need to go back to the classic uniform, maybe that will give them some luck. All-in-all, a very disappointing last 2 games.

Are you kidding me a 5 on 3 shortie???

Buffalo: :ph34r: Minnesota: :death: :death: :death: :death: :death:

Actually, the first penalty was at 17:13, while the goal was scored at 19:14. We got our 4th man back about the time the puck left White's stick. So, it was a 5 on 4 shortie :nana:

I don't consider the third goal a bad bounce or fluke. It was a set shot! Bad positioning by Miller. You're only supposed to score like that in rod hockey.
Couldn't have been a great shot by a pretty good goalscorer - no, it had to be bad positioning by Miller...

What's going on here? Drury is back for two games, and they lose both. He's gone for four games and they go 3-1-0. I don't understand. First of all, I felt Miller kind of gave up some goals he'd like to have back. Second, the Wild goalie gave up zero rebounds the whole game. We got a ton of shots on goal, but nothing went it. We had a bunch of chances, but no goals besides Ryan's. We've talked about this in other threads about how we should trade Max and whatnot, but tonight was definitely a game where we really needed him, I feel. I think the problem the Sabres had was that this team is so fast. If we had Max on the ice, it gives us some extra speed and kind of levels the playing field. This is also a very different team when Gaborik is on the ice. Either he's extremely fast or he simply cherry picks on every shift, and probably a little bit of both. It seemed like every time he was on the ice he was at the red line picking the puck up on an odd man rush. I've been very disappointed by the last 2 outings. I also think that the main reason for these losses has been the Slugs playing at home. They need to go back to the classic uniform, maybe that will give them some luck. All-in-all, a very disappointing last 2 games.
Couple points:

I don't think Drury is completely back to normal - he has looked a half-step off since coming back (except on faceoffs - 11-19 tonight.)

Lindy talked about Gaborik in his postgame presser - said he's the fastest guy in the league in his opinion, and how they talked for the last two days about not being caught even half flat-footed or he'll blow by you, and then he still shot past some guys on innocent-looking plays.

Let's not kid ourselves here - despite the 36 SOG, we didn't have a lot of good scoring chances - we spent a lot of the night beating up the Wild logo on the front of Harding's jersey. The scoring chances we did get - we blew them. Point-blank, MacArthur missed a great chance, Danny missed a half-dozen good scoring ops, Hecht hit the post about as dead-on as you can hit it, and guys like Vanek and Stafford were too busy turning the puck over to contribute offensively.

I really hope they turn it around tomorrow night - I don't think I could stand three days of threads whining about Miller and our lack of scoring.

Bad positioning? So you want him to play deeper in the net...so let's say next time he is backed all the way up to the net...will you complain when he gets beat because he can't cut off the angle on the one timer?

Couldn't have been a great shot by a pretty good goalscorer.

There's no such thing in his world.

Couple points:

I don't think Drury is completely back to normal - he has looked a half-step off since coming back (except on faceoffs - 11-19 tonight.)

I noticed that as well. Drury looks off. And we was lined with Zubrus who still looks uncomfortable out there. I think Drury is still a little rusty and he may not be at full speed yet.

wow. outstanding effort by drury there. sign briere.
Not to make an excuse for Dru, especially since he would never make one for himself, but IIRC, he got hit by a shot or a slash in front of the net about 15-20 seconds before. Someone (Paetsch?) took a shot from the point that deflected into the corner, right past a doubled-over Sabre who never moved after the puck, and that Sabre looked like Drury to me. I might be wrong, or I might be screwing up the sequence and/or the player(s) involved, but I think that is what happened. Someone else might have to roll back the DVR/TiVo since I already deleted tonight's game...

Okay, someone help me out here. About 5-6 mins left I think in the third period, Rob Ray mentioned how all of Minnesota's players have their names on their gloves, except for their captain. He then said what the captain had there and made some joke to Rick and Jim. I didn't hear what he said, but after a few seconds of silence, Rick responded "That was possibly one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard."

Anybody want to explain what he said? haha

Okay, someone help me out here. About 5-6 mins left I think in the third period, Rob Ray mentioned how all of Minnesota's players have their names on their gloves, except for their captain. He then said what the captain had there and made some joke to Rick and Jim. I didn't hear what he said, but after a few seconds of silence, Rick responded "That was possibly one of the dumbest comments I've ever heard."

Anybody want to explain what he said? haha

He said that the gloves had Rick and Jim's nickname, "Grumpy," on them. It was pretty dumb. I think with the score 4-0 Rayzer had started drinking early.

What a clunker this one was. Lindy needs to shake up the lines big time.

He said that the gloves had Rick and Jim's nickname, "Grumpy," on them. It was pretty dumb. I think with the score 4-0 Rayzer had started drinking early.

What a clunker this one was. Lindy needs to shake up the lines big time.

Maybe Rick and Jim were Grumpy!... And judging by their reply, the seemed to be...

Ya... A clunker (the game and comment)... But it is gonna take 5 in a row to get me grumpy!

Gotta like Rayzer for saying that... Maybe he was picking up their vibe?...

Nothing to be grumpy about fellas... Just didn't go well the last two...

Shouldn't $5+ Million players at least hit the net? 1st Power Play. Point Blank. Maybe he was too concerned with trying to draw a penalty or something.

Briere isn't the only one who been guilty of it, but why do I see so many Sabres take slapshots from 15 feet and closer. Wouldn't a nice wrister be more effective from there?

It might have been a set shot, but come on. You try that shot over and over and I'll bet you can't bounce one off the back of his head and drop it just inside the crossbar. There wasn't THAT much room there to begin with. I have no doubt it was deliberaate. It still was a fluke.

Archived