GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

As I remember it, the Bears 4-6 defense was considered unbeatable until someone figured it out. Why is it, then, that no one in hockey has figured out how to beat the Neutral Zone trap. I honestly can't believe that there isn't a solution out there, but since the 1995 Devils I haven't seen one.

Maybe this is what the game has become. It wouldn't matter if the Sabres or Ducks or Sharks or anyone rolled 6 lines, the trap is how the game is won. Coaches are not paid to maintain the integrity of the game. They are paid to win games. Hockey may be in serious trouble. (That may be the beer speaking). :beer:

Neither of the last 2 cup winners were trapping teams. It's beat with good dumps and an aggressive forecheck. Taking a lead early helps too.

Is Vanek hurt, or is Ruff limiting his time on the ice? I heard Vanek had a lower body injury that has bothered him for a while.

I think the Sabres as a whole are mentally injured right now. They look like a totally different team these last 2 games.

Neither of the last 2 cup winners were trapping teams. It's beat with good dumps and an aggressive forecheck. Taking a lead early helps too.

Good point, but getting out to a 1-0 lead and shutting it down for 2 periods is not only anti-American and anti-Canadian, it is anti-Hockey. Offensive zone aggression should be rewarded, not defensive and neutral zone clogging. (Is clogging even a word?) I'm just frustrated that no one has figured out a way to open the game up even more than the Sabres have.

I leave it up to the coaching staff because I have no ideas, and they usually listen to me. :D

Good point, but getting out to a 1-0 lead and shutting it down for 2 periods is not only anti-American and anti-Canadian, it is anti-Hockey. Offensive zone aggression should be rewarded, not defensive and neutral zone clogging. (Is clogging even a word?) I'm just frustrated that no one has figured out a way to open the game up even more than the Sabres have.

I leave it up to the coaching staff because I have no ideas, and they usually listen to me. :D

I agree with you, I hate the trap...It continues to kill the game.

Zubrus looks so weak out there..
Along with about 12 other Sabres...

If Buff can't figure out how to beat one of these trap teams, then don't plan on seeing a cup run this year. They are pitiful right now. And who the hell is this Hardon guy Minny has playing goal. I've never heard of him.

Minny's top goaltending prospect. LINK and TSN's scouting report

I was just going to type it feels like Minnesota is going to get another one and wham,

Stafford turns it over. Blind shot from the point beats Miller.

Conklin in goal..

Buffalo: Minnesota: :death: :death: :death: :death:

There's no fight left in Buffalo..

Miller played decent.. That third goal in particular was a fluke..

Bingo. 3rd goal was fluky; a screen shot on the 4th; the Sabres, particularly Stafford, Vanek and Kalinin, turning the puck over like it's going out of style; and generally letting Gaborik, Moore and Demitra skate around unmolested for most of the night; and the list goes on and on...

Miller stinking it up of late 0 - :death: :death: :death: :death:

Well, its not like he can be out there taking shots wide, or right at the Minny goalie. He's getting no goal support and the team is hanging him out to dry.

How the F*ck can this team look so tired and beaten in 2 straight games against teams that played the night before? Buffalo lookedout worked by Colorado after having off since Saturday against a team playing Sunday and Tuesday before the game, and now against a team that played last night?

Losing to Western Confernce teams that played on the road the night before- not acceptable. Not to mention getting shutout by some guy who has played about 3 NHL games.

I can't think of better games to lose than to the Western Conference. Tonight is a 2 point game. Tomorrow is a 4 point game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as of right now half of his starts have been shutouts?

Archived