Zubrus' Reaction to Wash Post

gilbert1175

Saw this at the Washington Post's writeup:

"My reaction is that I'm going to a very good team that has a legit chance," to win a Stanley Cup, Zubrus said when reached on his cell phone. "Last year they came really close. I'm excited, it's a good team and I've got a chance to win."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7022700895.html

Novotny, who is sidelined with a left high ankle sprain but is expected to be able to play soon, has six goals and seven assists in 50 games playing on the Sabres' fourth line. The Czech native, a former first-round draft pick, is in Toronto with the Sabres and won't be available to suit up for the Capitals tonight against the Florida Panthers

Huh?? HE'S INJURED!!!! :doh: :blink: :wallbash:

Novotny, who is sidelined with a left high ankle sprain but is expected to be able to play soon, has six goals and seven assists in 50 games playing on the Sabres' fourth line. The Czech native, a former first-round draft pick, is in Toronto with the Sabres and won't be available to suit up for the Capitals tonight against the Florida Panthers

We could have told them that!!!

I have no problem with "I've got a great chance to win," since the reporter was probably asking him how he felt about being traded to Buffalo. Personally I don't think I would be using the word "we" until I had at least gotten into the dressing room and talked with a couple of the guys, and felt like part of the team.

Plus, as someone who learned English as a second (or 3rd?) language, he probably doesn't have as strong a grasp on the sports cliches that the good old American & Canadian boys have... :beer:

"I've got a great chance to win?" <_<

I wouldn't worry about that too much. You have to remember it's gotta be a surreal time for a guy when he gets traded, maybe doesn't choose his words as well. Plus the second language thing.

The reporter talking to him is usually a homer and the interview is all about the player, wondering how he feels, will he miss the old team, it's hard not to be me-me-me.

In fact, when I saw the interview with Biron on TSN this morning, or was it Sportsnet....I think he mentioned a couple of times what a great chance it was for him. It's only natural. No biggie.

This trade is great. Could it also be an option for the sabres if the scenario occurs that the Sabres have to say goodbye to either briere or drury that zubris is there to fill the hole long term???

considering what they gave up, it wouldn't be outta the rhelm of possibilities?! Ne ways.. thats looking too far ahead....

These next 20 plus the Play-off run should be pure enjoyment!!! Darcy gave 'em the tools now Let's get it boys!!!

Yeah... Novotny's been injured for a while. They're talking about Novotny, not Zubris.

Could it also be an option for the sabres if the scenario occurs that the Sabres have to say goodbye to either briere or drury that zubris is there to fill the hole long term???

From what I heard, he was asking more than Washington was willing to pony up for a new contract. I think I heard in the range of 20 million. I would rather toss that to Dru or Danny's way.

I posted this in the other "official" Zubrus to Buffalo thread...apparently it isn't about the $$, but the length of the contract that kept Washington from re-signing him. He wanted 5 yrs, the Caps didn't want to go more than three:

Source: Washington Post

Latest on Zubrus

Well, I just spoke to Zubrus. And he doesn't think he's going to sign an extension before the deadline. He said there was some talk this morning between the Caps and his agent, but no progress was made.

As I've reported, the sticking point is the length of term. He wants five years; the Caps want three. The money is about the same--$3 mil per.

Zubrus also said he was told not to skate this morning. When he was walking to his car here at Verizon Center moments ago, he said he was contemplating whether to take his equipment with him so he could head straight for the airport if he's dealt. But he didn't. He just headed for the door.

"I'm going to go home and get some rest," he said as he walked away. "We'll see if that happens."

Hell, I'd be fired up too if I was going to the best team in hockey to be cheered by the best fans. I think some of you are reading too far into his comments. As someone else posted, they probably caught him very quickly on the phone. Let's see what he says when he actually arrives here and everything. Oh by the way, any idea on a jersey number? Zubrus wears 9, which obviously is worn by Derek Roy. How about 99? :beer:

I assume that the :beer: was because of this:

How about 96? Something cool about that number (bring on the 69 jokes).

Forcing all teams to retire #99 is something that has always bugged me about this league... Now you know why the NHL is so bush-league... One of the many reasons... I am a Sabres fan... Prima donna has to end... Think the NBA would ever tell teams to retire #23... Or the NFL/MLB, a number??? Get freakin' real!

I never really hated Gretzky before... I have been recently... IMO, one reason why this stupid league will never change for the better...

Sorry to get it going... :D

/rant

/mini tirade

Think the NBA would ever tell teams to retire #23... Or the NFL/MLB, a number??? Get freakin' real!

MLB has retired #42 league-wide in the 90s. Active players with the number were allowed to keep their number. The Yankees Mariano Rivera is one of the few remaining players with the number.

EDIT: Forgot to add that retiring #42 was to honor Jackie Robinson.

MLB has retired #42 league-wide in the 90s. Active players with the number were allowed to keep their number. The Yankees Mariano Rivera is one of the few remaining players with the number.

EDIT: Forgot to add that retiring #42 was to honor Jackie Robinson.

Never knew that!

That bugs me too now... Thanks! <_<

It really does...

Archived