Zubrus' Reaction to Wash Post

gilbert1175

Never knew that!

That bugs me too now... Thanks! <_<

It really does...

I don't have that big of a problem with it, so long as it doesn't get out of control. It does sort of glorify the idea of individualism in team sports, but imagine hockey without Gretzky, or better yet, baseball without Robinson?

I have no problem with "I've got a great chance to win," since the reporter was probably asking him how he felt about being traded to Buffalo. Personally I don't think I would be using the word "we" until I had at least gotten into the dressing room and talked with a couple of the guys, and felt like part of the team.

Plus, as someone who learned English as a second (or 3rd?) language, he probably doesn't have as strong a grasp on the sports cliches that the good old American & Canadian boys have... :beer:

We can forgive him if he says things like:

"Where is this Chippewa? I need go there for some Sexy Time."

Think the NBA would ever tell teams to retire #23... Or the NFL/MLB, a number??? Get freakin' real!

NBA retired #23 for Jordan, in face Tim Legler at the time was the only one wearing 23 when they retired it and they made him change it.... but they unretired it because they looked into the future and knew they would be promoting Lebron James as #23 since he made #23 pretty famous in Oak Hill High School.

Forcing all teams to retire #99 is something that has always bugged me about this league... Now you know why the NHL is so bush-league... One of the many reasons... I am a Sabres fan... Prima donna has to end... Think the NBA would ever tell teams to retire #23... Or the NFL/MLB, a number??? Get freakin' real!

I never really hated Gretzky before... I have been recently... IMO, one reason why this stupid league will never change for the better...

Sorry to get it going... :D

/rant

/mini tirade

MLB retiring #42 .......pretty Bush league, eh? :doh:

C'mon E!

edit: sorry Wraith seemed to get it first.

NBA retired #23 for Jordan, in face Tim Legler at the time was the only one wearing 23 when they retired it and they made him change it.... but they unretired it because they looked into the future and knew they would be promoting Lebron James as #23 since he made #23 pretty famous in Oak Hill High School.

Lebron is a graduate of St. Vincent-St. Mary's high, not Oak Hill

Sabres.com has Zubrus wearing #15.

you beat me to it Ed, but roy offered 9 to zubrus and he was like "are you kidding? its your number buddy - ill take a different one."

based on that i like him already, he seems to realize he got lucky going to the sabres and doesnt want to ruffle any feathers and just wants to play hockey. sounds good to me ;)

Hatin' on respect to Gretzky and Robinson, your on a roll........... :beer:

Call it hate if you see it that way... To me it is all about the team... Not some great guy who played for another team...

Don't get me wrong... I think they were great players and all and deserve the number being retired BY THE TEAM THEY PLAYED FOR...

Then again...

Robinson did make the game accessible to a whole race of people... Gretzky?? Maybe I am still bitter how his undermining of the rules going back to Hull's 1999 "No Goal" prevents any kind of change in the NHL... As stupid as the rule was... You still honor the rule, you don't turn it into somebackwards history lesson on what he did...

Ahhh... Who cares? Obviously, I do... :rolleyes:

MLB retiring #42 .......pretty Bush league, eh? :doh:

C'mon E!

edit: sorry Wraith seemed to get it first.

Just bothers me... Now I am finding out other leagues do it... Very sad... Where do they draw the line?

Just plain stupid and reeks of individualism in a team game...

Numbers being retired should be a team thing...

Gretzky is probably the worst case of it... Yah, a great record player, etc... etc...

Is the game better for Gretzky? Is it more marketable? Seems the NHL is sliding into obscurity? What did he do to advance the game that Gordie Howe or Maurice Richard didn't do?

First one to take a double number?

Should Lemieux's 66 be retired?

I guess it made sense in hockey.... who was the last #99 other than Wayne. Save for a few kids in the might ducks movies, i don't think anyone else ever wore it, even as a tribute to the great one.

TTBOMK, only 1 other player ever wore 99.

Call it hate if you see it that way... To me it is all about the team... Not some great guy who played for another team...

Don't get me wrong... I think they were great players and all and deserve the number being retired BY THE TEAM THEY PLAYED FOR...

Then again...

Robinson did make the game accessible to a whole race of people... Gretzky?? Maybe I am still bitter how his undermining of the rules going back to Hull's 1999 "No Goal" prevents any kind of change in the NHL... As stupid as the rule was... You still honor the rule, you don't turn it into somebackwards history lesson on what he did...

Ahhh... Who cares? Obviously, I do... :rolleyes:

Just bothers me... Now I am finding out other leagues do it... Very sad... Where do they draw the line?

Just plain stupid and reeks of individualism in a team game...

Numbers being retired should be a team thing...

Gretzky is probably the worst case of it... Yah, a great record player, etc... etc...

Is the game better for Gretzky? Is it more marketable? Seems the NHL is sliding into obscurity? What did he do to advance the game that Gordie Howe or Maurice Richard didn't do?

First one to take a double number?

Should Lemieux's 66 be retired?

I'm assuming you mean other than low doubles like 11, right?

If so, that would be a former Bruin playing w/ the Strangers.

TTBOMK, only 1 other player ever wore 99.

I'm assuming you mean other than low doubles like 11, right?

If so, that would be a former Bruin playing w/ the Strangers.

:bag:

I meant anyone above number 39... Weren't traditional numbers USUALLY below 40... And NEVER above 50?

??

:nana:

Don't get me wrong... I don't hate the greats... Forcing teams to retire numbers in the "name of the game" gets my blood pumping... If I am a fan... I go to see MY team... I don't give a two poops what other guys on other teams did...

I think the NHL was the first to do it... Some brought to my attention the NBA an MLB... Was the NHL first with Gretzky?

And even know I don't agree with the number 42 being retired in baseball... Robinson did have influence on social change... Yet, it still pumps me...

Dave... Forgot to ask... What player are you refering to?... Of course, I am having a major brain freeze for some reason... Like that ain't new? :blush:

Oh... Sorry to get sidetracked... But, hasn't there been a rash of recently retired numbers lately? Seems to be?

The cynic in me sees this as a way to "drive" sweater sales...

:blink:

:bag:

I meant anyone above number 39... Weren't traditional numbers USUALLY below 40... And NEVER above 50?

??

:nana:

Don't get me wrong... I don't hate the greats... Forcing teams to retire numbers in the "name of game" gets my blood pumping... If I am a fan... I go to see MY team... I don't give a two poops what other guys on other teams did...

I think the NHL was the first to do it... Some brought to my attention the NBA an MLB... Was the NHL first with Gretzky?

And even know I don't agree with the number 42 being retired in baseball... Robinson did have influence on social change... Yet, it still pumps me...

Dave... Forgot to ask... What player are you refering to?... Of course, I am have a major brain freeze for some reason... Like that ain't new? :blush:

Sorry, forgot to add the :P after 11 in my original post.

The highest number I recall from my youth was Espo's 35.

Note to Inky, convoluted boring story to follow (you'll probably want to skip this paragraph). While it was quite a bit before my time, apparently there was a reason that players wanted low numbers and why the goalies got the lowest #, the d (at least the top ones) the next ones, and then forwards typically getting higher #'s back in the 6 team league when everybody travelled by train. It seems that sleeper car berths were chosen by the players in numerical order, so #1 got 1st choice, 2 the 2nd, etc. So the players with the most seniority and most value to the team would typically get the lower #'s. I remember reading a quote from a #9 a LONG time ago (IIRC, Howe but it might have been one of the other greats to wear that #) that he was happy with 9 because it was a low enough # that he didn't have to grab a top berth. Don't know if that's true, but that's the way I heard the story.

EII, the clue for the random double # is in this post. The clue for 99 is, he was a Sabre although he didn't wear 99 as a Sabre.

you beat me to it Ed, but roy offered 9 to zubrus and he was like "are you kidding? its your number buddy - ill take a different one."

based on that i like him already, he seems to realize he got lucky going to the sabres and doesnt want to ruffle any feathers and just wants to play hockey. sounds good to me ;)

Yeah that is definetly a classy move by Dainius! by the way that is a awesome first name...

Sorry, forgot to add the :P after 11 in my original post.

The highest number I recall from my youth was Espo's 35.

Note to Inky, convoluted boring story to follow (you'll probably want to skip this paragraph). While it was quite a bit before my time, apparently there was a reason that players wanted low numbers and why the goalies got the lowest #, the d (at least the top ones) the next ones, and then forwards typically getting higher #'s back in the 6 team league when everybody travelled by train. It seems that sleeper car berths were chosen by the players in numerical order, so #1 got 1st choice, 2 the 2nd, etc. So the players with the most seniority and most value to the team would typically get the lower #'s. I remember reading a quote from a #9 a LONG time ago (IIRC, Howe but it might have been one of the other greats to wear that #) that he was happy with 9 because it was a low enough # that he didn't have to grab a top berth. Don't know if that's true, but that's the way I heard the story.

EII, the clue for the random double # is in this post. The clue for 99 is, he was a Sabre although he didn't wear 99 as a Sabre.

Cool story Dave... Don't care if Inky Pinky thinks it is stinky! :D

The clue I picked up was Howe's number 9, forgot that... Was that the reason why Wayne picked 99? Why not retire Howe's 9? What is gonna happen when we attempt to draw on the 3 digit numbers... That is why this stuff really can't float in the NFL... Too many players on a team! :D

Was it Wayne's brother? For the life of me I am drawing a blank...

Cool story Dave... Don't care if Inky Pinky thinks it is stinky! :D

The clue I picked up was Howe's number 9, forgot that... Was that the reason why Wayne picked 99? Why not retire Howe's 9? What is gonna happen when we attempt to draw on the 3 digit numbers... That is why this stuff really can't float in the NFL... Too many players on a team! :D

Was it Wayne's brother? For the life of me I am drawing a blank...

I'm heading to bed soon and no one but you seems to be interested in playing #'s trivia. So I guess I might as well give you the answers.

Phil Esposito wore #77 when he got traded to the Strangers because Rod Gilbert was already wearing #7.

Wilf Paiement wore #99 when he played for the Loafs.

I'm heading to bed soon and no one but you seems to be interested in playing #'s trivia. So I guess I might as well give you the answers.

Phil Esposito wore #77 when he got traded to the Strangers because Rod Gilbert was already wearing #7.

That's right! My bad!

For some reason... I flashed to Wilf... Then disregarded him...

And who could forget 77 (with the Rangers! Well, I guess I can! :nana: )?...

Again my bad!

Sooner or later that one was going to crack someone over the head.

When did Phil Espo move to the Rangers?... Had to be after the start of Waynes career at 99... same with Wilf...

??

So really Wayne started the trend... Right?

November 7, 1975. Gretzky hadn't even reached the OHA at that time. And he hadn't started wearing 99 with the Greyhounds until 2 seasons later. Moved to the WHA at the age of 17 in '78-'79.

Paiement didn't make it to the Loafs until December '79, so Gretz was wearing 99 in the NHL before he wore it. But, as stated in an earlier thread, I don't know of anyone else who wore 99 in the NHL. I'd expect someone wore it in the WHA besides Wayne, but I didn't follow that league too closely.

Where's that whammy when you need one. :P

Archived