Wild Trade Speculation

That Aud Smell

I'd posted late last week about what had become of the 7-10 days for Connolly's stress fracture that Ruff had announced on 2/13. Radio silence as far as I can tell.

What're the chances that this is because Darcy's weighing whether to pull the plug on Connolly's return this season and is, in fact, looking to make a significant addition by tomorrow? (An addition that would not require that we give anyone up, really.)

I'd put the chances at ~20%. Thoughts?

I'd posted late last week about what had become of the 7-10 days for Connolly's stress fracture that Ruff had announced on 2/13. Radio silence as far as I can tell.

What're the chances that this is because Darcy's weighing whether to pull the plug on Connolly's return this season and is, in fact, looking to make a significant addition by tomorrow? (An addition that would not require that we give anyone up, really.)

I believe he has already announced to the world that Connolly will be ready for the playoffs, so he can't all of the sudden turn around and say he will not be back about a week after he said he would.

Darcy also can't just say we are sitting him for the year so we can make a deal. If he is healthy, he must be taken off the IR and his cap hit will be on the Sabres books.

Even if he has cap space to burn, you don't make a significant trade without giving something up. Unless we're sending Kotalik packing, I just don't believe it.

I don't see us trading any of our youngsters, of whom we'd probably have to part with 2 or 3 to get anything in return, and whatever value Biron might've had should be gone after yesterdays performance.

They made this speculation this morning on the Howard Simon Show (which, on a side note, coupled with other things, leads me to believe Jeremy White may be the smartest guy at WGR because I think he visits these forums regularly to get show stuff). Speaking with Paul Hamilton they posed this exact question. They did not think the silence was an indication of this but rather the reverse. The lack of progress with Connolly, the stress fracture caused just by working out without contact and the time left to get him healthy and in playable condition by the post season (roughly a month) made them question if Darcy was indeed thinking of "pulling the plug" on Connolly to make room for rental players. Hamilton's response was, while he has heard nothing yet, it makes a ton of sense and is probably what Darcy is heavily considering over the next few hours.

I'd say your 20% chance just shot up closer to ~35%.

I would think you have a VERY valid point. I would not be surprised to see the Sabres pull the plug on Timmy for this year and free up his coin. 50%

I would think you have a VERY valid point. I would not be surprised to see the Sabres pull the plug on Timmy for this year and free up his coin. 50%

Should have been done months ago. Perhaps something can be salvaged with a rental player for the remainder of the season. I think Guerin fits into that salary spot quite nicely. Although looking at the prices for Forsberg and Tkachuk, I wouldn't want to give away our best prospects.

Should have been done months ago. Perhaps something can be salvaged with a rental player for the remainder of the season. I think Guerin fits into that salary spot quite nicely. Although looking at the prices for Forsberg and Tkachuk, I wouldn't want to give away our best prospects.

After what they got for Tkachuk, there's no chance they'd let their leading scorer go for any less, and Guerin is just not worth that.

While we're wildly speculating ...

Word is Boucher is on waivers ... somehow I doubt he makes it all the way to the Sabres in the waiver order, but if they claimed him, would anyone have a problem with Biron and Kotalik for Derek Morris and Kevyn Adams?

Or Biron to LA for Aaron Miller and a pick to Phx for Adams?

I'd love a more complete forward for the stretch run, but with what Tkachuk went for it is not worth it to go after Guerin or someone like that.

i appreciate all the feedback - great stuff.

i see it both ways -- the idea that timmy could be the equivalent of a year-end "pickup," or, on the other hand, the idea that we should just take a pass on the comeback this year.

my big concern is this: a big, big piece of connolly's greatness last year was the fact that he was in absolutely superb shape (probably in the top 20 of all players in the league -- i mean, think about his energy and jam at the end of game 1 against ottawa). any comeback he might mount this year would see him in less than great shape (and far from superb shape). i think his utility as a player would be diminished as a result (and the chances of him getting jacked again would be heightened).

i appreciate all the feedback - great stuff.

i see it both ways -- the idea that timmy could be the equivalent of a year-end "pickup," or, on the other hand, the idea that we should just take a pass on the comeback this year.

my big concern is this: a big, big piece of connolly's greatness last year was the fact that he was in absolutely superb shape (probably in the top 20 of all players in the league -- i mean, think about his energy and jam at the end of game 1 against ottawa). any comeback he might mount this year would see him in less than great shape (and far from superb shape). i think his utility as a player would be diminished as a result (and the chances of him getting jacked again would be heightened).

Good points, Aud. I think the Sabres will be looking hard to see what kind of shape he is in and the likelihood of a setback and/or other injury from his push to get back on the ice, and Ruff & co. will have to make an educated guess as to how effective TC might be if he comes back for the last couple regular season games and playoffs. If they have legitimate concerns, I don't think it is unlikely that they shut him down and look for help elsewhere.

Of course, the big problem there is that the sellers are absolutely robbing the buyers blind in this trade market, so the Sabres need to decide whether TC at ~50% is better than giving up prospects & picks for a rental player...

That_Aud_Smell is correct that it?s unrealistic to expect Connolly is going to come back and be 100% effective right out of the gate. If you?ve personally ever been sick or injured you know how difficult it is to get back into game shape in any sport. And this layoff is months not weeks.

The decision to IR Tim and use the Cap space in a deal is time-bound. It needs to be made in the next 24 hours before the trade deadline passes, not after weeks of evaluation. If Tim?s not better in a couple weeks and Reiger makes a move it looks brilliant. And if Tim is better and is ineligible because he?s on IR, then great for him coming back next year at 100%. So IMO logic and the percentages would dictate that Darcy needs to move without hesitation and improve this team?s chances of winning the Cup.

Picking up Guerin would be an amazing move. I could envision the Sabres packaging up a player with a draft choice or two combined with putting Connolly on IR to clear some Cap space. Do I expect this to happen? Unfortunately, no because history dictates management plays it safe and stands pat. Question is, would you rather win the Cup this year or hang onto prospects and draft choices that may or may not pan out?

Atlanta did indeed pay a high price to get Tkachuk. The move smelled of panic and desperation. What the Blues do with Guerin in the next 24 hours is going to be interesting. Kind of like a game of poker. Yes, they want a lot for him, but how much are the buyers willing to part with and if they are going to play hardball, will they take less rather than nothing at all when the deadline approaches?

They made this speculation this morning on the Howard Simon Show (which, on a side note, coupled with other things, leads me to believe Jeremy White may be the smartest guy at WGR because I think he visits these forums regularly to get show stuff). Speaking with Paul Hamilton they posed this exact question. They did not think the silence was an indication of this but rather the reverse. The lack of progress with Connolly, the stress fracture caused just by working out without contact and the time left to get him healthy and in playable condition by the post season (roughly a month) made them question if Darcy was indeed thinking of "pulling the plug" on Connolly to make room for rental players. Hamilton's response was, while he has heard nothing yet, it makes a ton of sense and is probably what Darcy is heavily considering over the next few hours.

I'd say your 20% chance just shot up closer to ~35%.

Yes on it being smart of Jeremy White to visit this board, but a big no on him and Paul Hamilton blindly speculating on Connolly having any meaning. Darcy has said multiple times that they expect Connolly back in the regular season. My inference from his comments is that they expect him to play and to be effective.

Here is what I would like to know: is he back skating with the team? Doesn't Paul Hamilton go to the daily practices? Did he say specifically that TC isn't skating with the team?

I would take Timmah and play him on just the PP and PK units. That will limit his exposure to big head shots.

Everyone says that his creativity with the puck in the offensive zone on PP is first-rate. I also remember him and Roy in particular getting a LOT of 2 on 1 off the PK because of speed & vision. I think Timmah, in a limited role on ST, is much better than anything else we might get in the way of a 3rd or 4th tier forward. Especially with the seemingly increased importance of ST in the playoffs. He won't have to skate as much in this role, so his relative lack of conditioning shouldn't be as much an impact, while his mind, eyes, and hands will still be on the ice, scoring and assisting on goals.

Plus he's not an "outsider" and will not adversely impact chemistry. Not the chief concern here, but an added bonus.

He was a point getting machine when he got KO'd last year. Given the rest of our roster, I'd take a ST-limited Timmy over anyone else I'm hearing about.

Trade deadline is at 3PM tomorrow, right?

If that's so, and the Sabres play at 7PM, they need to make a trade today or early in the day tomorrow to ensure the players coming to Buffalo have time to get here.

If we trade Biron, we have to have a backup goalie coming back, but I guess they could call up Dennis to ride the pine.

We just don't have enough players right now!

Archived