Melrose on Senators: "4 Cowards on the ice"

matter2003

Melrose said it was unbelievable that Ottawa's players didn't jump in to help Emery when Peters started fighting...said there were 4 cowards on the ice for Ottawa...

Way to stick up for your goalie Ottawa...

Audio?

Link?

I doubt Melrose would call out anyone as cowards.

Yes, I saw it on SportsCenter this morning. Melrose called out the Senators forwards while showing replays of Peters fighting Emery. Said they were cowards. While he was saying this, you could see two Senators right next to the fight just watching. Wasn't like they were tied up with something else at that point.

Well how do you like Murray complaining about the 'goon' line that Ruff put out against his 'skill' players after the hit? How do you categorized Neil? How do you categorize Drury and Stafford? A Goon vs. skill players, right?

So it's all right to for Neil to put Drury into the hospital and then fight Stafford, a rookie, but put Peters on the same ice as Spezza? How dare he?

The Senators are cowards. After watching Lydman, Campbell, Hecht, and Stafford throw down the gloves in the last stretch of games, you can see how the Sens have no heart in comparison.

After watching a rookie take on thier biggest goon, Spezza and his pals turtled when given the same opportunity. And then they watched their starting goalie get pummeled by Peters.

Yes, I saw it on SportsCenter this morning. Melrose called out the Senators forwards while showing replays of Peters fighting Emery. Said they were cowards. While he was saying this, you could see two Senators right next to the fight just watching. Wasn't like they were tied up with something else at that point.

I thought Emery handled himself quite nicely. (I am not disagreeing with the original posts; you have still got to come to the aid of your goalie when he is fighting anyone but the other goalie.)

I would have enjoyed the brawl much more were it not for the sick feeling in my stomach about seeing Drury seemingly woozy on the ice sitting in his own blood. Was anyone else a little surprised that it was not blue and gold?

I am getting the feeling that we should start a pool to pick which Sabre goes down with an injury next (purely in a knock-on-wood kind of way. You know, maybe if we start predicting it, it will stop happening?)

Well how do you like Murray complaining about the 'goon' line that Ruff put out against his 'skill' players after the hit? How do you categorized Neil? How do you categorize Drury and Stafford? A Goon vs. skill players, right?

So it's all right to for Neil to put Drury into the hospital and then fight Stafford, a rookie, but put Peters on the same ice as Spezza? How dare he?

The Senators are cowards. After watching Lydman, Campbell, Hecht, and Stafford throw down the gloves in the last stretch of games, you can see how the Sens have no heart in comparison.

After watching a rookie take on thier biggest goon, Spezza and his pals turtled when given the same opportunity. And then they watched their starting goalie get pummeled by Peters.

One word. INSTIGATOR beside, Emery had no problem taking care of himself and probably would want nothing of someone stepping in for him. These guys all played together in Bingo so they would know if Ray needed help or not.

And our biggest goon... Is Mcgrattan... not Neil.

One word. INSTIGATOR beside, Emery had no problem taking care of himself and probably would want nothing of someone stepping in for him. These guys all played together in Bingo so they would know if Ray needed help or not.

Are you really saying they didn't help Emery because they were afraid if the INSTIGATOR rule? Volchenkov was not even penalized when he came to Spezza's defense, and besides peters was obviously the instigator. If anything, they probably watched because Emery seemed to be having so much fun. I mean, that is the guy's wet dream, playing goalie and boxing at the same time. It's like Costanza eating while having sex.

A body check at center ice is hardly comparable to grabbing a player and feeding him in the head.

And Stafford went after neil, not the other way around.

A body check at center ice is hardly comparable to grabbing a player and feeding him in the head.

Havlat -- are you seriously saying that Neil's hit was not a dirty hit? Would you be OK if Mair nailed Heatley (or the-great-player-that-the-Sens-foolishly-let-leave-instead-of-dumping-alfie) with the exact same hit?

So now you've reduced the hit to merely being a body check at center ice? But then exagerated the facewash to a feed in the head? Wow, just ... wow.

What spezza got was a facewash?

Havlat -- are you seriously saying that Neil's hit was not a dirty hit? Would you be OK if Mair nailed Heatley (or the-great-player-that-the-Sens-foolishly-let-leave-instead-of-dumping-alfie) with the exact same hit?

Yeah i still say it wasnt dirty. Shoulder was down, didnt get him from behind, didnt leave his feet, and was less than 2 seconds after Drury shot the puck.

I agree with you about Emery, he probably was the best fight out there for you. Razor said it last night that he was the guy mopping up for everyone else in the minors. That aside, it's your GOALIE. If someone came at Miller like that, I would hope freaking Donald Audette would come out of the stands to take care of business.

Mcgrattan is the biggest goon, but Neil is the dirtiest on your team. His PIM are always at or near the Mendoza line.

Yeah i still say it wasnt dirty. Shoulder was down, didnt get him from behind, didnt leave his feet, and was less than 2 seconds after Drury shot the puck.

Late is late. Would have got a penalty if the ref saw it. Hence, not entirely clean.

Dirty or not is almost beside the point. Yeah, it wasn't from directly behind, but Drury did not see him coming either. Yeah, it wasn't THAT late, but then again, the puck was 50 feet away. It's at least interference. He went out of his way to hit him, and hit him high ... what other reason is there for that if not to injure? Are you really suggesting the Sabres should have just taken it and played on as if nothing happened? If somoene blindsides your captain and best player and leaves his head bleeding, you have to respond. And sending Peters to go get Kelly proves nothing. You have to make them think twice about going after your stars.

What spezza got was a facewash?

So again, if Mair threw a check like that into Alfredsson, and the result was the same, you'd be fine with the call and the Sens offering no retaliation?

Which shows that Stafford is a player who has heart. Even though he is a "skill" player, and a rookie, he didn't hesitate to drop his gloves to aid a teammate.

So what's Spezza and Heatley's excuse?

Just to confirm, Melrose said at 9:15 CST on Sportscenter, that there were "4 cowards" on the ice for Ottawa. I didn't quote an actual number in the other topic post because shouldn't there have been 5 other Ottawa players? Maybe one of them was tied up with fighting Kaleta at that moment so he doesn't get labelled.

Rob Ray also said on the MSG/Center Ice feed that Emery "carried the weight"/did the fighting for Binghampton.

One thing which hasn't been noted much is that Emery was smiling the whole time - he didn't seem to concerned about fighting Biron & Peters but I still think that even if the other Sens weren't cowards, they at least didn't stick up for a team-mate which is what they've been accused of doing in the past.

I should think that if your captain is named "Alfie" and looks like Ronald McDonald on crack, you're going to have problems with team cohesion and toughness.

Why would he lie numbnutz?

I don't know. Maybe he was paraphrasing. It happens a lot on the boards.

It's a lot for a national TV sports personality to call players out as cowards.

By the way. Why are you so concerned about my nuts. Is it a fetish you have? I have full feeling if you need to know. :D

The point about the blind-side-late-intent-to-injure hit is...HEAD HUNTING! Thats the tactic used by dirty players. Then justifing it by saying it was a clean hit. The size difference alone makes it a cowardly and dirty hit.

HEAD HUNTING is too dangerous. And since when is a body check performed above the neck? A hit delivered to the head has only one purpose...to injure!

But somehow, nit wits around the hockey world, have the nerve and ignorance to blame Drury for being in scoring position and not expect to get hit in the HEAD while playing the game the way it should be played...with HEART and not with dirty and questionable moral tactics.

Oh, by the way, if the Sabres really wanted to hurt someone after that incident they'd be in the hospital...a message has been sent.

The NFL outlaws hits to the head for a good reason...it ends careers and robs fans of watching great players play.

Way to go Lindy...GO SABRES!

Let's Play Hockey!

He said the word "coward"? <_<

Really?

Wow! Is there audio somewhere?

I wish the youtube replay (of ESPN) that I saw yesterday was available, but apparently, it's not. (ON EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED; IT'S RIGHT HERE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAC3BeLR5E ) Melrose really did use the word "coward," and IMO, he was on target with it. Would any Sabre see Biron or Miller get beat up by McGrattan (sp?) without doing something? No. Spezza, Heatley, et al. might not be the brawlers of the league, but they needed to "man up" and didn't.

Geez, even Tallinder and Lydman showed up the Sens when push came to shove.

I wish the youtube replay (of ESPN) that I saw yesterday was available, but apparently, it's not. (ON EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED; IT'S RIGHT HERE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAC3BeLR5E ) Melrose really did use the word "coward," and IMO, he was on target with it. Would any Sabre see Biron or Miller get beat up by McGrattan (sp?) without doing something? No. Spezza, Heatley, et al. might not be the brawlers of the league, but they needed to "man up" and didn't.

Geez, even Tallinder and Lydman showed up the Sens when push came to shove.

and tallinder has that bionic arm, just like tito santana.. There was a WWF storyline back in the early 90's in which tito and another guy got into it, and one had a metal plate in their arm and used it with the flying burrito move. I'm pretty sure it was the guy fighting tito. Maybe Navy can fill in the blanks... I'm not recalling who it was, but i do remember the plate in the forearm... which brings me back to tallinder. He's the most devistating force on the blueline in years!

Archived