Soupy in the doghouse?

nfreeman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=136

Lost amid the rash of injuries, the upcoming trade deadline and the scapegoating of Kotalik and Kalinin -- I think Campbell has been in quite a slump. I also think Lindy isn't too happy with him.

Last night: 15:25 of ice time

previous 3 games: 14:38, 17:18, 19:03 of ice time

Last 9 games: 1 point, plus/minus of -1

It's not like I've noticed poor play, but he's been pretty invisible -- not much difference-making at either end.

Any thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/gamelog?playerId=136

Lost amid the rash of injuries, the upcoming trade deadline and the scapegoating of Kotalik and Kalinin -- I think Campbell has been in quite a slump. I also think Lindy isn't too happy with him.

Last night: 15:25 of ice time

previous 3 games: 14:38, 17:18, 19:03 of ice time

Last 9 games: 1 point, plus/minus of -1

It's not like I've noticed poor play, but he's been pretty invisible -- not much difference-making at either end.

Any thoughts?

I'm glad you posted this because I thought I was the only one who noticed Campbell has been a non-factor for a while now. He wasn't very good going into the All-Star break, didn't have a great All-Star game and has not done anything since. It reminds me of how Chris Taylor used to play (obviously a different position though). It was like he'd play and he wouldn't do anything noticeably bad or noticeably good. Very weird, hopefully Soupy can start scoring some goals for us soon.

Ya, and yet a bunch of bone-heads in Buffalo and area voted him in as a starter for the All-Star team.

I never understood what was so important about that. We want to keep a lot of these guys here as the core of the team, but we make Regier's job twice as hard because now the money-mad agents of these guys can use all-star status as bargaining power.

Terrific.

Ryan Miller is still not in a league with Marty Brodeur, but you can bet his agent will push for Marty cash next contract. And he won't forget to mention how Miller beat out Marty (during one of his best years ever) as starting goalie for the All-Star game.

Not only is it a lousy game not even worth watching, it serves the secondary purpose of allowing agents to pump the team for extra dollars next contract.

Next year, guys, vote for players from other teams, let their manager deal with the agents of 'all-star' players. The only accolades our guys need, is a big, fat Stanley Cup ring. Then, they're all stars.

Yeah, Campbell made all-stars (aside from sabre fan voting frequency) cause the Umberger hit was probably the most played highlight NHL wide last year. At least the most memorable. That was out of character for him and I think he's still not sure what game he can bring day-in, day-out. It's not suprising he hasn't been able to sustain the level of play we enjoyed in October/November. Lots of upside going into April.

I think he's a better player than he's been showing lately. He played with a ton of confidence early on, spin moves, good puck movement, seeing plays develop. Doesn't seem to be there now. I wonder if he's a victim of coaching. Maybe Lindy tried to talk to him about something in his game, he appears to be thinking too much, and not reacting.

Ya, and yet a bunch of bone-heads in Buffalo and area voted him in as a starter for the All-Star team.

I never understood what was so important about that. We want to keep a lot of these guys here as the core of the team, but we make Regier's job twice as hard because now the money-mad agents of these guys can use all-star status as bargaining power.

Terrific.

Ryan Miller is still not in a league with Marty Brodeur, but you can bet his agent will push for Marty cash next contract. And he won't forget to mention how Miller beat out Marty (during one of his best years ever) as starting goalie for the All-Star game.

Not only is it a lousy game not even worth watching, it serves the secondary purpose of allowing agents to pump the team for extra dollars next contract.

Next year, guys, vote for players from other teams, let their manager deal with the agents of 'all-star' players. The only accolades our guys need, is a big, fat Stanley Cup ring. Then, they're all stars.

Who's to say Ryan wouldn't put up Brodeur's numbers with the Devil's system?

Yeah lets throw Soupy to the scarp heap, his career is over............... :rolleyes:

Ok...explain to me who is acting like that? Jeez people are so touchy around here when someone gives any of these players constructive criticism. If you haven't noticed a drop off in Campbell's production, then you must not have been watching the games. And the stats don't lie either.

Who's to say Ryan wouldn't put up Brodeur's numbers with the Devil's system?

Oh he might, who knows. But he hasn't with Buffalo. He may develop into a super-star, it's gonna take time, but he may get to Brodeur status. My only point is that by voting those Sabres in as starters, the bargaining power of said players is stronger, and in Miller's case, if we have to pay him Brodeur money, I'm not sure it's deserved just yet.

Oh he might, who knows. But he hasn't with Buffalo. He may develop into a super-star, it's gonna take time, but he may get to Brodeur status. My only point is that by voting those Sabres in as starters, the bargaining power of said players is stronger, and in Miller's case, if we have to pay him Brodeur money, I'm not sure it's deserved just yet.

Didn't Miller just sign a 3 year deal last year?

I think the stats speak for themselves and outside of official team comments remain the only way to judge performance. Someone already commented that you only notice defensemen when they are scoring, in the penalty box or turning over the puck. If you look at the link provided in the original post, it does show his ice time is down. It came right after the All Star game. At the time his minutes went down, his +/- went down against bad teams. It's all there in black and white. At a time you would think his minutes would be going up (as been the history when other D-men got injured), they are in fact going down. That suggests a few possibilities:

1. Poor play

2. In the coach's dog house

3. Saving him for the stretch run

4. Loosing PP time to poor play or lack of shot

Either one you pick, his numbers are definitely heading south. We need this guy to be the rock of the D-corp.

Buffalo doesn't exactly have a system that caters to goalie numbers like that. Also, if I remember correctly the two had virtually identical stats last year. Just a final thought, there was a goalie who looked like he didn't belong with the others at the all star game. Of the 6 goalies who played, if I remember correctly 4 gave up 3 goals, 1 gave up 2 and 1 gave up 6...It wasn't Miller who gave up 6.

Ok...explain to me who is acting like that? Jeez people are so touchy around here when someone gives any of these players constructive criticism. If you haven't noticed a drop off in Campbell's production, then you must not have been watching the games. And the stats don't lie either.

I can see your point, but it does get tiring to hear all negative posts for a team that had a fantastic playoff run last year and have been number one all year or close to it............ :beer:

I see no problem in calling out a player that is a non factor on a team that is first in the conference. Like Kotalik earlier this season and Campbell now. Cups are won by teams having players play at a elite level and it is far more likely a player playing good is gonna do that then one that has underachieved. Were as regular season success can happen with more underachievers.

One thing i think is the problem for Soupy is I think he is playing a bit scared. Last time i remember him leading a rush up ice, he did his little spin move and got nailed from behind by the defensmen. Since then he seems to just pass the puck off and he seems to be making bad choices when chasing the puck in his end.

Archived