Time to make a deal Darcy?

inkman

I think losing Max will probably hurt less than Gaustad and the kids from Rochester will fill in for him and Novotny just fine but is it finally time to get a body or two in here?

Connolly, Spacek, Max and possibly Novotny are all out until the final few weeks of the season, so why no get proactive and use it to their advantage. They could be looked at very poorly for doing what I'm about to suggest but the team could really benefit from this.

On WGR lately, they have been discussing the possibility of bringing in a player that could fill Connolly's salary spot, and in turn saving Connolly for the playoffs. This works because the CBA has no rules about playoff salaries.

Instead of using just Timmy's $$$, they could also use any of the three others expected to return, as long as their injuries keep them out until the playoffs. ;) Just me thinking.

I think losing Max will probably hurt less than Gaustad and the kids from Rochester will fill in for him and Novotny just fine but is it finally time to get a body or two in here?

Connolly, Spacek, Max and possibly Novotny are all out until the final few weeks of the season, so why no get proactive and use it to their advantage. They could be looked at very poorly for doing what I'm about to suggest but the team could really benefit from this.

On WGR lately, they have been discussing the possibility of bringing in a player that could fill Connolly's salary spot, and in turn saving Connolly for the playoffs. This works because the CBA has no rules about playoff salaries.

Instead of using just Timmy's $$$, they could also use any of the three others expected to return, as long as their injuries keep them out until the playoffs. ;) Just me thinking.

How do you pay for these bodies? If you try to stash a Connolly on IR until the playoffs you run the risk of losing him or the players you bring in for the playoffs if the NHL declares he was ready before hand.

This is exactly why depth is so important. It's why you can't pay Briere and Drury both $6-$7 million a year or why you don't trade away a bunch of players so you can fit one player in under the cap.

Everyone will be back before the playoff and that's all that matters. Max's injury is a hand injury so he can skate and do everything except shoot.

This is a great opportunity for some young kids to get some quality minutes. It might even be a good idea bring up a seventh d-man and use him in spot duty instead of wasting ice time on Peters.

How do you pay for these bodies? If you try to stash a Connolly on IR until the playoffs you run the risk of losing him or the players you bring in for the playoffs if the NHL declares he was ready before hand.

Does the NHL have a roving team of independent doctors that evaluate every teams injured players?

Does the NHL have a roving team of independent doctors that evaluate every teams injured players?

I doubt it. But as Regier mentioned, this rule will be monitored by the teams themselves. If a team brings back a player for the playoffs look for other teams to start yelling "bullzhit".

I doubt it. But as Regier mentioned, this rule will be monitored by the teams themselves. If a team brings back a player for the playoffs look for other teams to start yelling "bullzhit".

I think Connolly's condition could make this virtually impossible to refute.

I think Connolly's condition could make this virtually impossible to refute.

Who knows for sure? Regier seems like a straight forward guy who plays by the rules. I don't see him to be one willing to jump through loop holes.

What I would like to see happen instead of a trade. I would like to see Roy and Hecht step their games up. They have been OK but that's not good enough at this point.

And if a move is to be made. After last night I am willing to jump on the Teppo needs to go band wagon. He is reaching for pucks and just not skating. Kalinin has taken a lot of heat this season. I just wonder how much of a hindrance Teppo has been on him.

Its been time to make a deal for a while now. Every team around the Sabres will get better come the trade deadline, and if no moves are made, the Sabes will stay put. They are not unbeatable, and are not that great of a team that they could stand pat and still beat any team on any given night.

Hoping that Connolly comes back to play is bad enough, hoping that he comes back after almost missing another full season, AND comes back playing just like he was in the playoffs last year is boardering on fantasy. What if Timmy comes back and he plays like he did before the lockout? Is that going to win us the cup? Keep him off the team til next season when he will be 100%, we'll need him more then without Briere and/or Drury in the lineup

Its been time to make a deal for a while now. Every team around the Sabres will get better come the trade deadline, and if no moves are made, the Sabes will stay put. They are not unbeatable, and are not that great of a team that they could stand pat and still beat any team on any given night.

Hoping that Connolly comes back to play is bad enough, hoping that he comes back after almost missing another full season, AND comes back playing just like he was in the playoffs last year is boardering on fantasy. What if Timmy comes back and he plays like he did before the lockout? Is that going to win us the cup? Keep him off the team til next season when he will be 100%, we'll need him more then without Briere and/or Drury in the lineup

To say every team is going to make a move is a stretch.

Everyone will be back before the playoff and that's all that matters. Max's injury is a hand injury so he can skate and do everything except shoot.

:blink: And tie his own skates.. and get himself dressed.. and...

And who do you propose to trade that will be worth anything and not further harm the team going into the playoffs? The only viable option is to trade a number one pick. I would hope we're not anywhere near that desperate.

Really, I don't think trading away a first round pick is desperate during what is probably your best shot at the cup this decade. Everyone knows keeping Briere and Drury is a long shot after this season, not to mention the rising cost of our former unknowns. While some recent 1st round picks have turned out great (Vanek, Paille) or good (Novotny, Kalinin [despite his recent play]) there have also been some first rounders traded for biig impact players (Ballard for Drury via Reinprecht), and then there have been some absoulte busts. So you have to ask yourself, is it really desperate to trade away a potential Vanek/Paille or busts like Barrett Heisten and Artem Kryukov for a big boost now (at least one that fits in under the cap.) Since you get a Vanek or a Heisten with the pick, why not use it to get a known quantity at a time when it can have immediate effect during a season in which you're legit cup contenders? Just seems to me that we would be far from "desperate" to do what we can under the cap even if we have to trade a first rounder for it.

And who do you propose to trade that will be worth anything and not further harm the team going into the playoffs? The only viable option is to trade a number one pick. I would hope we're not anywhere near that desperate.

Teams give away players for much less. Basing your assumptions on what Petr Forsberg was dealt for is not relevant. He was probably the most coveted rental player this year. I think a second or third round pick (not that it matters much, it's hockey where the draft is a crapshoot after pick 15) would bring it the type of player Buffalo needs.

Our time is now and I hope Darcy realizes this!!!

"Our time" was also last year and Darcy did nothing then, so I'm not holding out hope that he will do anything in the next week other then call up players from Rochester.

If Max is really out 6 weeks(done for the regular season), it would be foolish of Darcy to sit on his cap dollars, which could be used to bring in a player for the stretch run and playoffs.

Between trading Biron and Max's cap space(I won't even bring up Connolly $$$), Darcy could bring in a veteran two way forward, a gritty #6 or #7 dman and a goalie to replace Biron.

If I were Darcy I'd trade a draft pick to Phoenix for Kevyn Adams (money here would come from putting Gaustad on IR) and I'd trade Biron for a defenseman knowing we won't retain him after the season...Our time is now and I hope Darcy realizes this!!!

Who is going to give up anything for Biron knowing he is an UFA after the season ??!!

Who is going to give up anything for Biron knowing he is an UFA after the season ??!!

UFA goalies are a much different situation than UFA forwards who can be used for a "rent a player" for a cup run. The most a rental goalie can do is to be a stronger backup (like his role here), since most teams in the playoffs like their goaltending situation as it is. This greatly reduces the value of trading Biron, since its not guaranteed that he will even play and have an impact come playoff time.

Being a free agent pretty much stops any basement dweller in need of a goalie to get him as their starter, because it isnt guaranteed that he will stay for the next years, so why should you give away talent for basically nothing. Im pretty sure we should just keep marty as an insurance policy for miller and his head demons...

UFA goalies are a much different situation than UFA forwards who can be used for a "rent a player" for a cup run. The most a rental goalie can do is to be a stronger backup (like his role here), since most teams in the playoffs like their goaltending situation as it is. This greatly reduces the value of trading Biron, since its not guaranteed that he will even play and have an impact come playoff time.

Being a free agent pretty much stops any basement dweller in need of a goalie to get him as their starter, because it isnt guaranteed that he will stay for the next years, so why should you give away talent for basically nothing. Im pretty sure we should just keep marty as an insurance policy for miller and his head demons...

Thanks. That is what I have been trying to point out to everyone who wants to trade Biron. Just could not say it as well. He also has a large cap number at the moment.

Darcy's going to sit on his hands like he always does.

This team needs another D-man, has done for two seasons, and he still hasn't adressed that issue.

I understand about the injuries, but with everyone healthy we have 7 good D-men. How many more quality players do most teams have on D?

I understand about the injuries, but with everyone healthy we have 7 good D-men. How many more quality players do most teams have on D?

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree.

Teppo is either starting to show his age for real, or he's been playing hurt for a while due to all the injuries on D. Kalinin has been doing his Rory Fitzpatrick imitation all year.

Paetsch stepping up is definitely a positive though

Darcy's going to sit on his hands like he always does.

Like when he got Gilmour and Dumont for Michal Grosek?

Or when he traded Holzinger, Primeau and Sarich to Tampa for Chris Gratton and what turned out to be Derek Roy?

Or when he got Stuuuu Barnes for Matt Barnaby?

Or when he got Joey Juneau for Alexei Tezikov?

Or when he got Geoff Sanderson for Brad May?

Or when he got Danny Briere for Chris Gratton?

Or when he got Mike Grier for Jakub Klepis?

Sheesh. One year he doesn't make a move (two if you count the time we got the great Bob Corkum at the deadline) and all of a sudden he always sits on his hands.

Be patient, young grasshopper.

Like when he got Gilmour and Dumont for Michal Grosek?

Or when he traded Holzinger, Primeau and Sarich to Tampa for Chris Gratton and what turned out to be Derek Roy?

Or when he got Stuuuu Barnes for Matt Barnaby?

Or when he got Joey Juneau for Alexei Tezikov?

Or when he got Geoff Sanderson for Brad May?

Or when he got Danny Briere for Chris Gratton?

Or when he got Mike Grier for Jakub Klepis?

Sheesh. One year he doesn't make a move (two if you count the time we got the great Bob Corkum at the deadline) and all of a sudden he always sits on his hands.

Be patient, young grasshopper.

and to add to that point every trade you listed seems to have benefitted Buffalo in the long run. He wont make a trade just for the fun of it, but if he does im positive it will make the team better. Don't make me eat those words darcy...

Why is it fantasy? He did it in October 2005. Timmy looked pretty decent before the playoffs last year.

BTW, based on what I understand, they think the headaches were not due to concussion, but due to a neck injury. Given that players thought he was fine the night he got hit, I think their thought processes has some merit.

Archived