OT- Weather

Two or less

How crazy is it where you live? I'm in Rochester, NY and conditions are pretty bad. Took me 50 minutes to drive to class this morning.... roads are in some rough shape and it's not getting any better. I can't imagine how many accidents there is accros western ny this morning.

Just figured i'd start a sign-in thread for people to tell stories and say their doing ok....

How crazy is it where you live? I'm in Rochester, NY and conditions are pretty bad. Took me 50 minutes to drive to class this morning.... roads are in some rough shape and it's not getting any better. I can't imagine how many accidents there is accros western ny this morning.

Just figured i'd start a sign-in thread for people to tell stories and say their doing ok....

I am in Delaware/PA. - Ice Storm - rain /sleet - a big mess

yeah yesterday i was watching the weather channel, and they had the entire northeast covered in a big cloud labeled "big winter mess". it was quite funny that even the weather channel didnt know what the hell was going on.

All classes cancelled in Geneseo though, so thats all i care about. :w00t:

yeah yesterday i was watching the weather channel, and they had the entire northeast covered in a big cloud labeled "big winter mess". it was quite funny that even the weather channel didnt know what the hell was going on.

All classes cancelled in Geneseo though, so thats all i care about. :w00t:

do you go to geneseo also? This is the first snow day i have had in five years (since high school). Last year we had evening classes canceled, but in my previous three years never a full day canceled. Anyways, it is awesome to not have to leave the house.

sunny again here Wisconsin...although we might not see double digit temps today. still it's better than the -22 (official low) we had on super bowl sunday. it hasn't snowed more than an inch at a time in weeks. i can't imagine what it must be like in oswego. :o

Pittsbugh here... I work downtown and we were told to leave early yesterday... bad downtown but where I live 35 miles away, the roads were just wet... BUT then the snow came and then a nice 1/4 inch of ice on top of 3-4 inches of snow overnight... this morning was interesting as I chiseled my car open.

I made it to work, but many people didn't... they are wusses down here in Pittsburgh. If this had happened in Buffalo, things would maybe have slowed down 10-20 minutes but around here they act like they may never be able to leave the house again.

I'm hoping they let us out early again, but I'm not sure if they will.

so to sum things up, this is a winter mini-storm that is being blown out of proportion because we were so spoiled with 60 degree weather in January...

I'm in Northern Virginia, south of DC.

We had about 1/4 inch of ice buildup, then about 1.5 inches of snow, then some crusty ice on top of that. I started my truck, put the defroster on high, then snowblowed my driveway and all the sidewalks in front of my row of townhomes. I got the snowblower for free, so don't laugh that I have one in VIRGINIA. I certainly would never pay for one living here.

Anyway, most of the schools are closed, the FED Gov't is on a 2-hour delay, and widespread panic is gripping the region. It's all the news channels are talking about! AAagggghhhhh!!!!

Bunch of pansies around here. It was nice driving to work with almost nobody on the roads.

North of Baltimore by about 20 minutes. Lots of ice and sleet. This area cracks me up, they will cancel on the threat of snow. This one though is legit. It's quite a mess. Winds of up to 40 MPH are coming on the back side of the low. We have a good potential for a full blown ice storm here this afternoon. Trees are all ice covered... Fire up the generators...

And one more thing about the retards in this region.

Last night on the news, they showed people scraping off their cars. One person was using a dish scrubber, one was using a dustpan, and one was using a paint scraper. Funny thing is, we all knew this storm was coming 2 days ago, and they still didn't prepare themselves.

My wife was commenting while watching these people scrape scrape scrape, "Why don't they just let their cars run for 20 minutes, then the ice will fall off the car in sheets?"

Gotta love my Cleveland girl! Her dad instilled some common sense in her!

She's a dynamite broad!

It's always fun to see the people buying shovels and ice scrapers when a storm is coming. Do these people just throw them out every year or what? I have 2 ice scrapers in my car all the time.

Ha, yeah me too and I live in Georgia. Speaking of which, it's snowing like a bitch at my house right now... I''m ~30 miles north of Atlanta.

-Jeff

good morning fellow Sabres fans. first post long time lurker. Pittsburgh (South Hills) is basically shut down. Three inches of snow with a 1/2 of ice and another 2-3 inches of snow overnight. You'd have thought it was a catastrophie (sp) The Mall is closed so is every school in the area.

this morning was interesting as I chiseled my car open.

I remember one time when we got back at night from a game when I was still in HS after freezing rain my car was cover in like an 1/8" solid coating of ice. All the way around the doors and even the key hole. I had to blow on the keyhole until i melted a hole through it. I'm glad I was unable to lock it. First I tried using my keys to scrap around the edges of the door so I could open it. I gave up and had a bright idea dawn on me. I ran back into the locker room and grabbed a squirt water bottle (luckily no one had locked up yet) and filled it with warm water. Ran back outside and kept squirting until I could open my door. My friend had to sit in the back on the way to his house. Then on the way (I can't remember the name of the street) it went downhill to a stop light and uphill past the stoplight. Since it was kinda a side street it wasn't yet salted and it was covered in ice. I tried braking but no way were we gonna stop before we got to the light and then we'd have to get up the other side of the hill. Since it was 11 there wasn't much traffic so I accelerated down hill (prayed for no cross traffic), ran the red, and barely made it up the other side.

Nowadays, I get pissed when it rained on my brand new car that I just spent washing and waxing when it was supposed to stay sunny and warm all week. I've been pussified.

I'm in Rochester. Live in Eastern suburbs (Webster), commute to Western suburbs (Greece). Digging out was the hard part. Hard to say how much snow we got, I'd say anywhere from 12 - 18 inches. The drifting is huge. The commute in wasn't bad though, plows were really on top of things.

EDIT: Just heard on the radio that they had to close the westbound side of the Bay Bridge in Rochester because of multiple accidents (one involving a state trooper). Thankfully that didn't happen until about 9:30, so rush hour was past. That is a major source of inbound traffic in the morning and closing that would seriously snarl traffic. Still, 9 cars are still stuck on the bridge, and that can't be pleasant.

North of Baltimore by about 20 minutes. Lots of ice and sleet. This area cracks me up, they will cancel on the threat of snow. This one though is legit. It's quite a mess. Winds of up to 40 MPH are coming on the back side of the low. We have a good potential for a full blown ice storm here this afternoon. Trees are all ice covered... Fire up the generators...

Yea, B-more county is pretty bad. They didn't cancel my classes yesterday, but from what I heard, no one tried going (including me). Where are you located in the county?

Archived