OT- Weather

Two or less

Last night on the news, they showed people scraping off their cars. One person was using a dish scrubber, one was using a dustpan, and one was using a paint scraper. Funny thing is, we all knew this storm was coming 2 days ago, and they still didn't prepare themselves.

Best one I've seen here in DC, was an idiot, many years ago, scraping the windshield with a CREDIT CARD. :wallbash:

How crazy is it where you live? I'm in Rochester, NY and conditions are pretty bad. Took me 50 minutes to drive to class this morning.... roads are in some rough shape and it's not getting any better. I can't imagine how many accidents there is accros western ny this morning.

Just figured i'd start a sign-in thread for people to tell stories and say their doing ok....

sunny blue skies and 52 degrees a little windy however giving it a little bite :D

I'm in Northern Virginia, south of DC.

We had about 1/4 inch of ice buildup, then about 1.5 inches of snow, then some crusty ice on top of that. I started my truck, put the defroster on high, then snowblowed my driveway and all the sidewalks in front of my row of townhomes. I got the snowblower for free, so don't laugh that I have one in VIRGINIA. I certainly would never pay for one living here.

Anyway, most of the schools are closed, the FED Gov't is on a 2-hour delay, and widespread panic is gripping the region. It's all the news channels are talking about! AAagggghhhhh!!!!

Bunch of pansies around here. It was nice driving to work with almost nobody on the roads.

The beltway was totally fugged at 5am this morning when i was on it. Plows werent out yet and cars were thrown around ditches like they were toys. I mean seriously, ice and snow accumulation doesnt equal normal speeding habits.

There was about 3 inches of granular snow/ice up at laurel at 6am. Only the goalies who were scheduled showed up for pick up. Fuggin wuss hockey players (Scott? :lol: ) were too afraid to leave their houses this morning, meanwhile my jetta handled the ice like a champ. Had the main rink to myself for about 3.5 hours this morning. Was really a superb morning.

There was about 3 inches of granular snow/ice up at laurel at 6am. Only the goalies who were scheduled showed up for pick up. Fuggin wuss hockey players (Scott? :lol: ) were too afraid to leave their houses this morning, meanwhile my jetta handled the ice like a champ. Had the main rink to myself for about 3.5 hours this morning. Was really a superb morning.

you were a fool to get up...

1st, I doubt I would have made it up the hill in our development, so I risked getting stuck at 5:30 am. Then, who was going to show to play? I doubted anyone would even show to open the doors... No way I get up and risk getting my car stuck when I'm not even sure I will get in the building.

do you go to geneseo also? This is the first snow day i have had in five years (since high school). Last year we had evening classes canceled, but in my previous three years never a full day canceled. Anyways, it is awesome to not have to leave the house.

yeah i do - its nice not to leave the house unless you voluntarily go out for football. we just couldnt pass up the foot deep snow drift.

One person was using a dish scrubber, one was using a dustpan, and one was using a paint scraper.

Dude, you just came this close to making me spit my Diet Coke all over my monitor :w00t:

Hamburg, NY here. About 4ft last weekend and another foot last night. No biggie.

I think we got a foot here???... Maybe more, maybe less??? Can't tell, there has been considerable blowing a drifting... Well anyway... I am working midnights and made it to work fine all week... Just opened the gargage door and blasted out down the driveway... Nice because all the idiots are sleeping and you can basically drive down the middle of the expressway... And if you eff up, you got nobody to blame but your lame self... Still, I take it easy though...

With the bigger 31" tires on the new Wrangler and the added ground clearance... Quite the fun!... I prefer to just leave it in 2x4 and just "drift" into work... :thumbsup:

I haven't had this much fun in years! Thank you Jeep!

People are unbelievable... Like the guy tooling around in is Mustang with a foot of snow on the ground... That has got to be the worst possible car for snow! :wallbash: Nothing like the old days when they were all rear wheel drive and everybody got stuck on level ground though... :wallbash:

The thing here is that it is SO DAMN FLAT... When you get big snow... The whole metro area and 3 million people make driving down the 219 during a big snow/wind event look like a walk in the park... I wish there werre more hills!

it's times like this that make me wish I owned a snowblower

Same here... I will get one (another) when I am 50... I got 11 years... :bag:

A couple of years ago... I gave my father's 8Hp Toro that he had since before the Bizzard of '77... Yep, it was well over 20 years old and still going strong!

The thing was just too big for what we get in snow a year... Maybe 30-40" a year... Had a walk-behind hood, drift bar... The tire chains were gouging my asphalt driveway and my wife was scraping her leg getting out of the car when parked in the garage! Hated to see that 2-stage beast go being the pack-rat I am... I could literally clear the street with with foot of heavy wet stuff on the ground!

:cry:

For all those in the DC metro area, is it that bad around your neighborhoods? My area was perfectly fine last evening, yet schools were cancelled again.

The neighborhood was bad yesterday morning, but when I got home from work yesterday, it had been cleared. This area is just not equipped to deal with the snow when we get it. Frankly, I don't think it should be equipped, since it's not a regular event. Tax dollars can go to other items.

Archived