Miller has a hole

BuffalOhio

It was exposed at the skills competition, and Huselius used it last night.

Ryan has a hole that he just can't seem to cover.

Blocker side, about 12-16 inches off the ice.

The net cam replay showed it perfectly last night.

I hope he can fix this.

I don't think it's so much a hole as just a positional thing most times. I think that Ryan cheats to his glove side a smidge, especially during breakaways/shootouts. This was exposed during the All Star skills competition. However, everything else he brings to the table covers this flaw, but I have to agree that if I were shooting on him, I would aim just inside the left post.

Next time you watch Miller try to see if he cheats glove side every time and not just breakaways. I think subconciously Miller feels he is in a perfectly symmetrical position but he is more to the glove side than blocker side. I think he should if anything be cheating a little blocker side, because as a former goalie who is right handed like Miller, it takes longer to move the right hand owing to the fact that your palm is facing in and you are holding a heavy stick. Corsi has to get Miller to recognize that an adjustment needs to be made.

I was surprised he got beat on that one. He saw it all the way. Huselius made a little deke as I recalled and just zipped it past him.

this has been happening every game for awhile now... These are pregame warmup shots. No screen. Plenty of time see the shooter. Proper position... yet he is being beat like a red-headed step child. :angry:

Geez, this is a tough crowd. I thought Miller played extremely well last night (and did so against Atlanta as well). That goal was scored on a pinpoint shot just inside the post, at point blank range, on a 5-on-3 power play (technically 5-on-4 but our 4th guy hadn't made it back into the play from the box), by a good scorer who is on a hot streak. NHL snipers are going to score in that situation.

I assume everyone was pleased with Miller's performance in the shootout?

Geez, this is a tough crowd. I thought Miller played extremely well last night (and did so against Atlanta as well). That goal was scored on a pinpoint shot just inside the post, at point blank range, on a 5-on-3 power play (technically 5-on-4 but our 4th guy hadn't made it back into the play from the box), by a good scorer who is on a hot streak. NHL snipers are going to score in that situation.

this answer is cut and pasted after every game and I don't buy it. Every team has someone on a streak. Every team has a good goal scorer. Does that mean Ryan is defenseless against them?

You should realize your last sentence supports our complaint. If he can stone 3 guys in a row on a shootout - then he can handle these shots that are from far enough away, when he has excellent sight lines, time, and positioning. He is perfectly capable of stopping these routine shots - as you point out in your shootout comment, yet every game there is the puck lyng in the net as the behind the goal camera shows a clear view of the puck and perfect positioning.

If we are to excuse these all too common goals over the past 6 weeks, then basically we are saying Ryan is just an average goalie and not the All-Star he was voted to be.

The good news last night, is that Calgary didn't score on several chances where Ryan would have never been at fault (like the other PP goal). Clearly he played well as he only allowed 2 goals, but it is the TYPE of goal he isallowing that is very disheartening.

I have to give Ryan a reprieve on that goal as well. KH had ALL day to pick his spot and made a nice headfake and perfect shot. Goalies pretty much have to guess on those shots that are in so close.

I agree that on the shootouts he was exposed blocker side, but teams obviously haven't scouted that performance. I'd bring all left handed shooters on the shootout and go low blocker until he stops em.

But the goal in regulation was certainly not miller's fault. Please.

I thought that was one of the most entertaining games of the year.

Miller was very good last night. The action was frenetic at times and that goal did come just as the 5-3 became a 5-4. He had a chance to stop that one and didn't so the debate rages on.

What I want to talk about was the 3rd Calgary Shoot out attempt by Huselius (sp).

That fake he put on Ryan NEARLY worked. For those who didn't see it, he pulled Ryan to his left and then tried to push the puck past his right leg. He didn't have much on it (intentional or unintentional, I don't know) and it seemed to trickle toward the goal. I don't have TiVo so I'm going on memory but both players were caught watching it. Bottom line I think was Miller recovered just enough to save the day.

This game was by far my favorite game of the year to watch. Calgary pinged one off the crossbar in OT after clearly beating Ryan. Buffalo had some great action and attempts of their own in OT. In fact, most of the OT was played in the Calgary end.

I said this in the GDT as well, the Calgary folks were bemoaning a Flames break down in the last five minutes of a game. Just when the bulb was nearly out, Danny lifts a gorgeous backhand from an equally impressive Jochen feed into the net.

The news on Jaro and Paul was the only dampner on a great hockey night in Canada. All Canada knows these Sabres are good.

this answer is cut and pasted after every game and I don't buy it. Every team has someone on a streak. Every team has a good goal scorer. Does that mean Ryan is defenseless against them?

You should realize your last sentence supports our complaint. If he can stone 3 guys in a row on a shootout - then he can handle these shots that are from far enough away, when he has excellent sight lines, time, and positioning. He is perfectly capable of stopping these routine shots - as you point out in your shootout comment, yet every game there is the puck lyng in the net as the behind the goal camera shows a clear view of the puck and perfect positioning.

If we are to excuse these all too common goals over the past 6 weeks, then basically we are saying Ryan is just an average goalie and not the All-Star he was voted to be.

The good news last night, is that Calgary didn't score on several chances where Ryan would have never been at fault (like the other PP goal). Clearly he played well as he only allowed 2 goals, but it is the TYPE of goal he isallowing that is very disheartening.

I wouldn't term Huselius' shot "routine." Give an NHL player of just about any caliber the opportunity to wind up in the slot, uncontested, he's going to score, no matter who the goalie is. That's prime real estate, and the goal of every power play is to set up a shooter in the slot.

Miller has given up some bad goals in January, no doubt, but this wasn't one of them.

I was honestly pretty surprised to see Miller get beat on the Huselius goal...it's pretty rare that Miller misses a shot that he can see that clearly, though it was an absolute LASER.

I have no beef with the way Miller has been playing over the last 3 games or so, and felt he was very good last night. He looked more steady than Mikko at the other end who seemed to get lucky more than a few times (we hit two posts, and there was that shot on the PP that he saved with his glove seemingly behind him...).

As for all this talk about Miller getting beat low blocker side at the All-Star game Skills Competition...honestly? Are we freaking out about this? Miller has been EXPOSED? C'mon. It was a skills competition in a meaningless exhibition...you mean to tell me that Miller was really trying? Miller never ever smiles during games, and he was laughing throughout the entire skills comp. Plus, all anyone was talking about was how many crazy moves and dekes players had been practicing the day before...does anyone else think that maybe Miller was perhaps over-anticipating a deke? I mean I can't blame him...I thought it was pretty lame that the greatest hockey players in the world weren't even trying to deke him, they just would come in and take a wrist shot. You could tell that by the end, Miller was sick of waiting for the dekes that never came, and ended up adjusting for Selanne. What did Temu do? Came in and shot low, stick side. Miller stoned him.

Relax guys.

I've been tough on Miller but he did have a good game last night. I give him his props. My only complaint now is that he somehow needs to find a way to pitch the occassional 3rd period shutout....not every game but at least once in a while when we are tied or have a 1 goal lead on the 3rd. If he is an "elite" goalie he would be able to do this.

Miller does give up some bad ones, and he is no Brodeur, but who is? To lay this one on him is unreasonable. Watch the Huselius goal again. He freezes everyone slightly by faking a slapper between the tops of the circles and then unleashes a laser one step above the top hash mark - roughly 25 ft from the net. Screen or no screen, good position or not, there is no way in hell that shot was going to be stopped. At some point shot MPH does come into play. Not every goal comes off a deke, deflection, or scramble. Look at Vanek's PP goal against ATL just inside the post. Similar distance and lack of traffic as Huselius had. It wasn't poor goaltending from Lehtonen that let that one in. It was a fabulous shot. Just because a goalie has a good view doesn't make him invincible from 25 feet and closer.

Miller does give up some bad ones, and he is no Brodeur, but who is? To lay this one on him is unreasonable. Watch the Huselius goal again. He freezes everyone slightly by faking a slapper between the tops of the circles and then unleashes a laser one step above the top hash mark - roughly 25 ft from the net. Screen or no screen, good position or not, there is no way in hell that shot was going to be stopped. At some point shot MPH does come into play. Not every goal comes off a deke, deflection, or scramble. Look at Vanek's PP goal against ATL just inside the post. Similar distance and lack of traffic as Huselius had. It wasn't poor goaltending from Lehtonen that let that one in. It was a fabulous shot. Just because a goalie has a good view doesn't make him invincible from 25 feet and closer.

Again, is it really fair comparing Miller and Brodeur? One plays on a team with a wide open system, that results in a lot of scoring chances for...and against, the other has played his whole career on a team that clamps down defensively, gives up very few scoring chances and is happy sitting on a 1 goal lead for 59 minutes if they score early.

Guys, my original post was not to slam or make Miller out to be a weak goalie. I love the guy.

My intent was to post that I noticed that he lets a lot of goals in on his blocker side low. This is a weak spot on a lot of goalie. The net cam view of Huselius' goal showed how Miller went down to butterfly, and a hole opened just above his pad and below his blocker. He needs to work on that.

I'm not saying anything other than I noticed it. Hopefully Corsi did, too, and they're working on it.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

That may have been the hardest shot I've seen all season. Huselius got EVERYTHING into it.

That was a very entertaining game as both teams had very good scoring chances and both goalies were fanatastic. The guy sitting next to me doesn't go to many games and was wondering if Kiprusoff was getting lucky. Answer: no, IMHO he's the best goalie in the league. And Ryan BEAT him (or the rest of the Sabres and him beat Kiprusoff's team).

Ryan had been in a slump in January and was lousy in the 1st 2 games back after the break. He played much better against NJ, except for 1 very glaring, ref-induced 5 minute stretch. I think he is back to his normal form, or darn near, since that Joisey game.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

That may have been the hardest shot I've seen all season. Huselius got EVERYTHING into it.

That was a very entertaining game as both teams had very good scoring chances and both goalies were fanatastic. The guy sitting next to me doesn't go to many games and was wondering if Kiprusoff was getting lucky. Answer: no, IMHO he's the best goalie in the league. And Ryan BEAT him (or the rest of the Sabres and him beat Kiprusoff's team).

Ryan had been in a slump in January and was lousy in the 1st 2 games back after the break. He played much better against NJ, except for 1 very glaring, ref-induced 5 minute stretch. I think he is back to his normal form, or darn near, since that Joisey game.

I wish I hadn't deleted the game because my memory recollects that shot being a well placed wrister and not a "laser" as some of you have described it. Maybe I just saw it wrong, but I didn't think the MPHs were all that high (considering it wasn't even a snap shot - I don't see how it could have been all that fast...)

I wish I hadn't deleted the game because my memory recollects that shot being a well placed wrister and not a "laser" as some of you have described it. Maybe I just saw it wrong, but I didn't think the MPHs were all that high (considering it wasn't even a snap shot - I don't see how it could have been all that fast...)

Highlights at nhl.com. As was Vanek's goal against ATL, it was blistering. Slap, snap, or wrist. No matter.

Highlights at nhl.com. As was Vanek's goal against ATL, it was blistering. Slap, snap, or wrist. No matter.

I just watched it... maybe it was faster than I originally thought, but I still think Miller should have had it. I just disagree on this one....

I initially thought Reghier took that shot, as I thought it was 28, not 20 that took it. I was shocked at how hard Reghier's shot was and even made a comment about it to my wife. When it turned out it was Huselius, I understood why the shot was so hard.

Archived