Darcy isn't going to do #%^$#!.

inkman

02/98 - sanderson (too bad the trap coincided w/ his prime)

...and his marvelous knack for never finishing on a breakaway, a.k.a "holzingeritis".

reiger is the best GM in the league. hopefully marty talk is just talk. i like the insurance clause especially the way goalie situation has played out the last two weeks.

word...Fairport in the house :beer:

two things - first off, if darcy does have a move in mind, why on earth would he mention it on a sportsradio talkshow? so, hold off on the mood swings until the deadline passes. i'm not saying it means he is going to move, but if he is, he sure as hell isn't going to show his cards with WGR.

second - if darius couldn't cut it with the rangers, why on earth would we want him?

Maybe because the guys beyond the top 7 are huge question marks at this point. As a guy to sit in the press box in case anything happens DK is a good fit. No one is looking to put him in the top six. But for insurance reasons? Not a bad idea.

Maybe because the guys beyond the top 7 are huge question marks at this point. As a guy to sit in the press box in case anything happens DK is a good fit. No one is looking to put him in the top six. But for insurance reasons? Not a bad idea.

I completely agree. As I've stated before, yes he is one of my least favorite players ever, but I think in the case of our defense, more depth cannot possibly hurt. Not only that, but he is very affordable at this point. I just don't trust this defense, and with the uncertainty of the Briere and Drury situations this offseason, we really need to take all the necessary precautions this year to make sure we can press on to the finals. Even if it's not Kaspar, we have to get someone because this is our year to do it IMO, even more than last year.

i agree with you guys about picking up some reinforcements on D, but i just don't buy in to kasper. hell, i think he was given two chances by the rangers to get in nhl-shape and he failed both. kasper 3-4 years ago, maybe, but he is a shell of his former self and to me would be a big liability...has to be someone else out there...

i agree with you guys about picking up some reinforcements on D, but i just don't buy in to kasper. hell, i think he was given two chances by the rangers to get in nhl-shape and he failed both. kasper 3-4 years ago, maybe, but he is a shell of his former self and to me would be a big liability...has to be someone else out there...

He's just one option. In all fairness. Don't compare him to himself 3-4 years ago. Compare him to the other options available. Hell, if Mike Wilson was still around I would consider him. Now is not the time to close the door on any options.

I think the question to ask is, how deep does the D need to be? If they need to be able to handle 1-2 injuries, I think they are there right now. They definitely could handle 1, and considering all the D except Teppo could handle a regular diet of 20-26 minutes, they can handle giving an Amerk 6 minutes/game provided they don't go to OT too often. Especially if Timmy comes back and they have 3 different forwards that COULD play the point on the pp. I think if Timmy, Ales, and Jason are all healthy, the Sabres will go w/ 4 forwards anytime they have a pp (outside the last 5-8 minutes of a game) and on occasion would go w/ 5 forwards on a 5-3 if they are down to 5 D-men that they trust.

If they need to be able to go to 8 or more (relatively) solid D-men, then they do need to make a trade, but how realistic is an injury spree like last year? Last year, the 7th D-man was a significant drop from the 1st 6 (which was very surprising to me, because Rory had/has good wheels for a D-man and seemed to play a very conservative intelligent game prior to the lockout; he just couldn't adjust to the speed of the game when he couldn't "interfere" with players). This year, we have people debating who the 7th D-man actually is.

I honestly haven't heard a name bandied about yet that I'd like to see in blue and gold, but that may change as we get closer to the deadline. I really think that if the Sabres do trade for a D-man, it would be for a guy who's where Janik was last year; solid at the AHL level, seemingly ok (but not positively) at the NHL level and able to play in the minors without clearing waivers.

Especially if Timmy comes back, I'm happy with the forwards; and while Darcy may entertain trade offers for Marty, I'd be surprised if he isn't in blue and gold in April.

Just my 2 cents.

IMO I would rather have are 8th or even 9th defensemen then DK he just isn't a decent Dman anymore. If were gonna make a move and I really don't think there is one out there that really should be made, I'd want a stay at home (Mckee type) that is a top 6 guy that way we can sit Teppo if he gets tired or sit Kalinin if he goes south. I don't think there is anyone out there that would be a good 8th Dman for this team. Forward wise I'd like to see a faceoff guy or a high energy checker for the 4th line cause none of are guys on the 4th line really fit that mold. Novotny is more a puck possision guy and Mair whilest he does hit he doesn't have the wheels he had to play a high energy game. Paille can do it but I'm not sure about him yet.

IMO I would rather have are 8th or even 9th defensemen then DK he just isn't a decent Dman anymore. If were gonna make a move and I really don't think there is one out there that really should be made, I'd want a stay at home (Mckee type) that is a top 6 guy that way we can sit Teppo if he gets tired or sit Kalinin if he goes south. I don't think there is anyone out there that would be a good 8th Dman for this team. Forward wise I'd like to see a faceoff guy or a high energy checker for the 4th line cause none of are guys on the 4th line really fit that mold. Novotny is more a puck possision guy and Mair whilest he does hit he doesn't have the wheels he had to play a high energy game. Paille can do it but I'm not sure about him yet.

Slow footed defensemen don't work in this system. If the Sabres are going to pick up some depth on the blueline that player has to be able to skate. The reason McKee had a good season last year was that he dropped weight and worked on his skating. He played a lot of tennis to get in shape and strengthen his legs.

Darcy isn't an idiot, he's build the perfect team while people like you guys dissed him. How many of you claimed Campbell was a bum? Or Pominville was too small and too slow? How many of you laughed at Darcy for letting go Zhitnik?

The guy isn't going to make a move to just make a move. He will make moves to improve the team, we don't need goal scorer, so kiss Doan good bye.

We do need depth on defense and maybe a defensive forward, and he will get our needs.

I love how the haters stay away for a year and a half and then crawl back when things start to get shaky and mock Darcy. The guy has BUILD this team, the guy has brought hockey into a massive sport again..... HSBC being filled is due to Darcy's doing.

The reason we lost last year, at least in the very end, as much as he played out of his head, was that #7 was Rory Fitzpatrick. #7 is now Paetsch, whom we're arguing shouldn't even be taken out of the lineup when our top 6 are in there. That is marked improvement. I'm feeling much more comfortable than I was last year about the circumstances, should we get into the (unlikely) disastrous situation of our #7 being #4. Is it really prudent to go for another top-6 defenseman given what we'd have to pay to get him, and our precarious cap situation? If Kalinin can be moved and paired with a prospect for a great rental, maybe, but that's a big IF.

If any move is to be made I think it'll be with the forwards, which, even there, I'm not at labor to say where the move should be made. To me, Kotalik has looked a little more solid these past couple games, and he would be the first guy I'd look to deal. But who wants him? Like Kalinin, he'd probably have to be paired with Stafford. Is that a price we want to pay if we stand to lose one or both of Drury and Danny?

Here's an interesting quote from Lindy on this (from an interview on espn.com: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2758647&type=story):

Q: If you're sitting down for lunch with Sabres GM Darcy Regier before the trade deadline, what would you ask him to do?

A: We're a young team. So, maybe adding a veteran player who has won a Cup before [and] can help in the room, too. We have only one player, [Chris] Drury, who has won a Cup. So any time you can bring someone in with that type of experience, who has gone through it, is a valuable asset. I know it's not easy to find, though.

I think Lindy and Darcy look at things in a pretty similar fashion. Accordingly, I'm guessing an experienced guy with a ring is what Darcy is looking for right now. With Connolly now semi-practicing with the team (and how sweet was it to see him skating on TSN the other night?), I have to believe that Darcy is planning on having him back, so we can't use Connolly's salary slot to bring someone in. That leaves us in cap jail. So we'll have to trade a roster player -- unless there's a guy out there with a ring who makes the veteran minimum (I think that would let us just dump peters and use his slot for the new guy, although I could be wrong on that).

If we want a guy with a ring who makes more than the veteran minimum, we have to take someone off the current roster. The only candidates I see are:

Novotny

Mair

Marty

Kalinin

Kotalik

This is basically an impossible choice. I know Kalinin and Kotalik are the favored whipping boys around here. With Big Al's recently improved play, Kalinin seems to have moved into pole position on that score. I continue to think this is unreasonable -- he's consistently playing very close to 20 min. per game, which means Lindy's reasonably satisfied with him, and to my eye he's significantly better on D than Paetsch, whom everybody seems to love. Bottom line is we have 7 NHL-ready defensemen and I don't see us reducing that number in light of last year's epidemic.

As for Kotalik, although there is room for improvement, I think he's too good, too young and has too favorable of a contract for us to trade him.

I also have a hard time believing we would trade Marty, leaving us exposed at backup goalie, or that anyone would give us something worthwhile for him since he is a UFA at the end of the year.

I guess my bottom line is that I think Darcy is going to look for a marginal (ie 4th line forward or 7th defenseman), relatively inexpensive player with experience and a ring. He's gonna have to be cheap b/c I don't see us unloading any roster player other than Novotny, Mair or Peters. Who's out there that fits the bill? I have no idea.

Darcy isn't an idiot, he's build the perfect team while people like you guys dissed him. How many of you claimed Campbell was a bum? Or Pominville was too small and too slow? How many of you laughed at Darcy for letting go Zhitnik?

The guy isn't going to make a move to just make a move. He will make moves to improve the team, we don't need goal scorer, so kiss Doan good bye.

We do need depth on defense and maybe a defensive forward, and he will get our needs.

I love how the haters stay away for a year and a half and then crawl back when things start to get shaky and mock Darcy. The guy has BUILD this team, the guy has brought hockey into a massive sport again..... HSBC being filled is due to Darcy's doing.

Whole team is too small. Campbell is our only North American defenseman, and that means soft in the playoffs. Miller is an admitted choker under pressure. Refs are letting them play hockey, which is a bad sign for softer, undersized teams.

I do have to take something back. I've always been tough on Drury, thinking he's a little overrated, but that guy has been busting his hump this entire slump. He was playing with real despiration the other night. I'm starting to flip flop on who I'd rather keep for next year with Briere.

This team is the same team that went to Game 7 last year except for a little twist...no McKee, Grier, Dumont and Pyatt....in their place are Spacek, Paille, Novotny and Mair. That is a difference of 70 pounds and 50 goals in a season. We need some of that back or there is NO WAY we bring home a cup. I will sell my playoff tickets, fly to Vegas, and bet against them if we don't get a rugged defenseman and a foreward with some pubes on this team.

Ummmmm yeah, so if he has built the perfecty team, Why does he need to get depth on defence and a defensive forward?

I think the standings are really making people look at the team the wrong way. The way this team has been playing is not going to win them the cup. It will make us this years version of last years Sens. Even during the opening streak, on paper they looked unbeatable, on the ice, they were winning because they were getting lucky breaks and winning shootouts in games they should have lost.

I'm not going to kiss Darcy's feet for getting lucky the NHL went to new rules that favored this team (and if you notice, when these rules are not enforced all the time, they struggle) and start planning the cup parade through the streets of Buffalo just yet.

I'm not going to kiss Darcy's feet for getting lucky the NHL went to new rules that favored this team (and if you notice, when these rules are not enforced all the time, they struggle) and start planning the cup parade through the streets of Buffalo just yet.

Getting lucky? Have you seen the constant parade of injury replacements from Rochester over the last two years? Darcy's biggest accomplishment is the depth he has assembled. They might not be quite the same players under the old rules, but most of these guys would still be competitive. I don't know how many teams can claim to have anywhere near as much depth (granted we do have a few holes right now).

The Sabs aren't going to win the cup with the roster they have now. the only reason they are at the top of the pack in points is due to their fast start. They are a solid team right now, but are basically a middle of the road playoff team who will have issues dealing with more physical teams. I don't see the Sabres getting past the Sens or Devlis at this point.

I don't disagree with most of what you wrote, but what does this mean? An "admitted choker under pressure?" Can you elaborate?

He established as fact what I assumed, that he cannot handle an entire season of hockey without getting a mental break a few times a season. I know the All Star schedule was demanding, and that other All Star goalies came back sluggish....but Miller admitted to his team that he was not focused and needed to sit down and recharge. He said it happens to him every year one or two times. Ruff said this to the media....that is not a good sign. Miller is a good guy and all, but he is a bit of a headcase. So was Dom, but Hasek was amazing and he didn't win a Cup until he had 4 hall of famers playing in front of him in Detroit. Miller takes everything so seriously that when his play is suspect, he gets even more critical of himself which leads to even worse play. Basically with him in net over the playoffs, we will need to get lucky and avoid one of his mental potholes. That is tough to do over a stretch of an extra 25 intense games.

How many here remember his meltdown in Rochester during the playoffs? He had an awesome season with like a 2.00 GAA.....had one horrible game in the playoffs, and had a quazi nervous breakdown. They had to bench him for the duration of the series. He's also in the past had mini breakdowns in the Sabres dressing room in front of the media. He seems to have matured, but you are still a product of your head. He has learned to control his emotions and doubts, but he could spiral down in a second.

If we trade Marty away.....that puts even more pressure on Miller, and I think we would be in trouble. Marty is a great guy and can act as a security blanket for Miller..."If I go down, at least Marty is here and the team will do well." If Marty leaves, not only doeas he lose a friend who keeps him lose, but it becomes.."OK, I can't let the team down, I have to play my best, Marty isn't here, Gotta work harder,......." and his brain goes into overdrive, adding more stress.

I'll take Spacek over Mckee any day, as to the others take out Grier and they are all inconsistant players, so playing younger guys that have a better upside? Fine by me helps us get them experience and lowers the payroll. Only one that could have helped us imo is Grier........... but I do think he was getting kind of slow footed last year and I think Gaustad is set to take over the job that Grier played for us

Getting lucky? Have you seen the constant parade of injury replacements from Rochester over the last two years? Darcy's biggest accomplishment is the depth he has assembled. They might not be quite the same players under the old rules, but most of these guys would still be competitive. I don't know how many teams can claim to have anywhere near as much depth (granted we do have a few holes right now).

What I am refering to is the fact that this team would not be fighting for 1st overall and a SC favorite if the rules didn't favor the players they already have in their system. Thats why Lindy spkoe up about the refs recently, and you have seen this team struggle when the refs stop making calls and games get physical

well about Miller it's up to the coaches to keep him ready and not let him go to hell like that in the playoffs. I don't think he is a choker he played his arse off last playoffs. It's only natural that over the regular season you would have some slumps and breakdowns in your game. Keep in mind he is still a young goalie and he will learn to get rattled less and less from poor play.

Big deference between a game getting physical and the refs putting hte whistle away. we can compete with a physical team but we can not beat the hooking and grabbing

well about Miller it's up to the coaches to keep him ready and not let him go to hell like that in the playoffs. I don't think he is a choker he played his arse off last playoffs. It's only natural that over the regular season you would have some slumps and breakdowns in your game. Keep in mind he is still a young goalie and he will learn to get rattled less and less from poor play.

Big deference between a game getting physical and the refs putting hte whistle away. we can compete with a physical team but we can not beat the hooking and grabbing

both good points. I hope it's true.

Whole team is too small. Campbell is our only North American defenseman, and that means soft in the playoffs. Miller is an admitted choker under pressure. Refs are letting them play hockey, which is a bad sign for softer, undersized teams.

I do have to take something back. I've always been tough on Drury, thinking he's a little overrated, but that guy has been busting his hump this entire slump. He was playing with real despiration the other night. I'm starting to flip flop on who I'd rather keep for next year with Briere.

This team is the same team that went to Game 7 last year except for a little twist...no McKee, Grier, Dumont and Pyatt....in their place are Spacek, Paille, Novotny and Mair. That is a difference of 70 pounds and 50 goals in a season. We need some of that back or there is NO WAY we bring home a cup. I will sell my playoff tickets, fly to Vegas, and bet against them if we don't get a rugged defenseman and a foreward with some pubes on this team.

Don't you mean 24 goals?

And enough of the Don Cherry Europeans are soft crap. The two best defensemen in the NHL are from Sweden and the Slovak Republic.

The last thing this team needs is some slow footed "North American" Brendan Witt type that would do more to kill the Sabres offense than any opposing teams defensive game plan.

Archived